Is Kadri a 1C?

Is naz a #1C

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Drai is a center and was unreal in the playoffs as a center on another line than McDavid. Giroux has played center his whole career, and isnt a winger just because he plays on the wing right now because they have tons of centers atm.
Staal had 65 points last season, Krejci is easily better when healthy. Some of them are pretty even but i would rather have Stepan for example than Kadri. Trocheck is better imo etc. Its just my list and i dont many if anyone on that list that he is clearly better than. Just my opinion, and as a Leaf fan you obviously rate Kadri higher if they are pretty even.

they arent really even though. some of them are just your opinion with nothing to actually back it up. you have approx 20 solid choices and then a pile of guys like stepan,trochek,point,couturier,zibanejad etc who have never come close to 30g or 60pts

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If your of the opinion that there are only ~15 true #1C in this league, then no, he is not. If you are of the view that there are 31 1C's in this league, then IMO, yes he is. He'd easily be the 1C on Carolina, but that, in itself, is not saying much.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If your of the opinion that there are only ~15 true #1C in this league, then no, he is not. If you are of the view that there are 31 1C's in this league, then IMO, yes he is. He'd easily be the 1C on Carolina, but that, in itself, is not saying much.

i was trying to ask if he is a top 30 C and got caught in a "there is only 15 1C in the league" loop
looks like the general consensus is that Kadri falls somewhere in the 20's.
If thats the #2 guy on your team, you are doing something right

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
i was trying to ask if he is a top 30 C and got caught in a "there is only 15 1C in the league" loop
Huh?
I think general consensus is that he's outside the top 30. Hence the lopsided poll results.
Mainly Leaf fans are saying he's top 30 and the rest saying he's outside that group.
I agree that he's a high end number two though. Especially if he puts in another season like last year.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

I'd put him in the 20-30 range, but frankly, none of us can watch every player enough to say for sure so once you get past 15 or so, it's pretty hard to say. I like that he plays with an edge, that he goes against tough competition and still scores both ES and on the PP.

Well, if you consider being bad and getting lucky in the lottery to get an elite talent at 1C "doing something right", then you are correct. :) Pens were able to draft 1st OA (Crosby), 2nd OA (Malkin) and 2nd OA (Staal) because they were bad and got lucky in the lottery. Same goes for Edmonton and McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH. Same goes for Leafs with Matthews, and to a lesser extent Kadri (was a 7th OA I think?) I'm in no way knocking what the Leafs did though, getting a guy like Matthews is a game changer and wish my team would have done what it took to get him.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
No i didnt. If you actually read my post you would know. Zibanajad and Point i had in () which meant i think they are pretty equal with Kadri. Drouin i would take over Kadri, same with a healthy Little.
drouin and little? huh????

LOL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's a 1b/2a. He's played himself to the level of guys like Duchene and Kyle Turris. He's not a bonafide number 1, and if he was asked to be, it's probably above his level. He falls in that 20-40 range. He has dramatically improved as a player under Babs, and is great at his role. He's not Ryan Kesler (who is the dream 2nd line center if you have a bonafide #1), but he's still very good at a comparable role.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
as expected, many of the names are laughable.

Stepan: has never hit 25g or 60pts. Kadri has 19g more than him since last year (He also has outscored him every year but the last one since they've both entered the league (they are the same age))
Zibanejad career season is 20g/51pts
Couturier HAS NEVER HIT 40pts (Two younger players who I'll concede but one or both could quickly surpass him)
Drouin: hasn't played much at C, and now that he is the team he plays for is terrible and he has a 44% FO rate (FO rate? Team? C'mon, man. Drouin has been really good at C so far.)
Little: can't stay healthy, missing 60+ games the past 3 years. one 60pt season in 10 years doesnt make him better (Health is a legit argument. Beyond that, Little is the better player in every facet)
Wennberg: has been meh this year. even columbus fans admit he is at best a 2C. could be better in the future but 32g/61pts>>13g/59pts (Another weak argument that I won't touch. Let's see how it plays out.)
Point: plays a lot of wing, coming off a 40pt season. could be better, but as of right now isnt. nice to get to play against the 3rd lines every night too (somewhat fair)
Johnson: HAHA he might never get 50pts again. naz has 15g/20pts more since last season..and cant really use the "he plays with matthews" excuse here right? (incredible bias. Johnson would have hit 50 last year had he been healthy.)
Turris: the poll currently up has that at 50/50. not exactly comfortably (a poll? Turris has scored more, been good in the playoffs, and been more consistent. I will give you this one as arguable.)
Krejci: coming off a miserable season. at his very best he is what kadri was last year (At his best? thats ridiculous.)
Trochek: hasnt even hit 55pts yet (nor had Nazim til last year, right? he'd also only scored 20 goals once. my point being, Trocheck is 3 yrs younger and yet his two best years are basically equal to Nazim's. Trocheck is a good bet to be a ~25g/55 pt center and he is definitely young and talented enough that he can push beyond that).
Monahan: debateable 38g/72pts for naz since last year vs 33g/68pts (younger and close, I'd take Monahan but debate all you want).

When you give your guy the benefit of the doubt in every single scenario, you lose credibility.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Top 20? I think, at his current level over the past 120 games or so, you could use him as your first line center and he’d perform there with winger support. He’s a prick but he’s good at his job, and holds up well against star players.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
more of a 2C but a very good one. I wouldn't be comfortable with him as my 1C, if he is your 1C your team isn't going anywhere

Didn't your team (assuming you are a NYR fan) have Stepan as your 1C the last few years?

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
I would not be confident in my team if he was our best center. He's been excellent recently, but I'm not confident it'll continue. I don't care if he's one of the 31 best centers in the league because The 31 1Cs in the league definition is not useful in any way.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Just admit that he's #1 and put this thread to bed! Leafs were so happy with him before Matthews. #Kadrileadstheleafstothecup# Sorry don't know what hashtag means?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Not really... Leafs fans talk about him beeing a shutdown center but last season he didnt shut anyone down. Bad on ice goals against. You arent great defensively just because you play in the top 6 and i have no clue why so many centers are called shutdown centers when they dont shut the opposing team down... Makes no sense.
Except the Art Ross and Hart trophy winner...

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Kadri is not a legit number 1 centre. But he is however one of the best middle 6 centres in the league. He's good at bothends of the rink, and its great to see him finally settle in a grab a role with the Leafs. He's on an awesome deal, and it'll be fun to watch him for the next few years.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Very good player but wouldn't call him a 1C exactly. Kinda like how Krejci was for the bruins for a long time, very very very good 2C and can be thrown into a 1C position but just wouldn't consider him a true 1C.

Guys i consider true 1C

Crosby
Malkin
McDavid
Matthews
Toews
Backstrom
Bergeron
Getzlaf
Kopitar
Carter
Thornton (Plays wing i think now ? but a C)
Pavelski
Zetterberg
Stamkos
Giroux
Tavares
Eichel
Barkov
Seguin
Scheifele

Then i would have a 2nd Tier of guys like, Kadri, Kuznetsov, Couture, Monahan, Larkin, Mackinnon, Zibanejad, T. Johnson etc. So like a 1B 2A ?

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
He's serviceable, he can play there in a pinch, but he's not the kind of centre you'd build a team around or expect to do well with for a long stretch. He's a good #2C

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Facts have no place here.

Kadri is a decent 2nd line, good 3rd line center. Rich mans Bozak.
Wait, what? How is one a ‘rich mans’ version of a player they’re absolutely nothing like? That’s like saying Jussi Jokinen is a rich mans Zach Kassian - they play wing on the same team and the similarities stop there.

What a truly dumb comparison.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Didn't McDavid have 2 points in 2 games against Toronto last year?
One was a secondary assist (good play by him) the other was a bad line change and both happened in the same game where they still lost.

The first game Mcdavid was scoreless and Kadri had 2 goals including the game winner.

Last edited:

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
If we are basing what he is solely based on last year, then yes he had the offensive production to project him as being able to play as a 1C on a contending team. Personally, I don't just discount the previous 6 years of evidence that shows him to be much less than what he produced last year. Up until then he has always hovered around 20 goals and 40-50 points. That seems like a more realistic expectation of Kadri on a regular basis than a 30-30-60 shutdown 1C, which is how some would like him to be portrayed. Personally I think that if he was tasked with being a 1C on a different team, he'd be much closer to the years 1-6 Kadri than the year 7 Kadri. Fortunately for him, he's been put into a great position to succeed by a great coach and has been able to exceed those expectations many people have for him. That's what seems to happen when players are put into proper roles in a system designed around getting the best out of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad