Is John Robert Eichel the Unluckiest Superstar Since Lindros?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
That's a pretty lofty contract honestly. He definitely has the talent to live up to it though

With the cap going up I'd say a top 10 C in the game is probably worth $10 million or more. Eichel is already a top 15/16 centre in the game easily, so I think he'll be "worth" his contract in at most a couple of seasons.

It's just that the teams who got their top guys locked up a bit earlier will have absolute steals (Barkov, Scheifele).

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
What's your definition of that word?

There are a lot of players that deserve that title before Eichel. The talent is there, but the accomplishments aren't.

WHat do you mean by accomplishments/

He would have two 75 and maybe this year 80 (at least) point seasons, without question on a team with no help as a kid,.

THAT Is a huge accomplishment in itself. And if you say well he didn;'t.

Well he didn't have the chance either?

You cant be blamed for not putting up points in games you didn't play,.

130 pts in his last 120 games and NOT A SUPERSTAR? lol

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Also I'd say Buffalo is 1-1 without Eichel.

He played 3:55 and the score was 0-0. Suffice to say they won without him.

ROR is finally stepping up. He was an absolute monster last night. Too bad he didn't play like this very often when Eichel was in the lineup.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
WHat do you mean by accomplishments/

He would have two 75 and maybe this year 80 (at least) point seasons, without question on a team with no help as a kid,.

THAT Is a huge accomplishment in itself.
Depends on your definition of a superstar level accomplishment. It's a subjective term so debating it is useless.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
That's a pretty lofty contract honestly. He definitely has the talent to live up to it though

And he wont be for long.

With the way the cap is and other players getting there raises DOughty, Karlsson, Tavares....and once Eichel hits his prime he may be a top 5, top 10 guy anyway.

Thanks for not going to the bash side btw.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
As fervent and well-intentioned as JackAttack is, nobody on this forum can draw as much negative attention to Eichel as he can through his tedious posts. He pretty much single handedly makes up for the lack of Sabres discussion on the mainboard, not that there's much good to say.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
That's quite the novel you wrote there, but yeah he has been pretty unlucky so far, let's hope he stays healthy after this and Buffalo manages to put together a solid team around him.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
I mean, losing out on $2 million by 0.005 PPG is pretty damn unlucky.

Everything else happens, I guess. He'll bounce back. This high ankle sprain doesn't sound nearly as bad as his last one, and the Sabres haven't ruled out him coming back this year (although I don't personally want him to).

Evergreen

Should of made my post shorter.

They say in 2018 with social media and smart-phones our attention span is that of 8 seconds shorter then a goldfish (9 seconds) and dropping yearly.

Look at the responses in this thread.

"not a superstar"

"with that set of hair"

"his face is bad too"

"Guy posts that bad albeit funny pic of EIchel."

Look I even made fun of his hair in my post thinking that would do the job but it clearly didn't.

I'd say a lot of people think of him that way

A nickname, he probably wanted to go by it, plus there's too many John's.
And Jack Nicholson would go by both I think too:?
Jack is a common nickname for people named John. The most famous is probably John F. Kennedy, who was called Jack by everyone close to him.

Anyway the answer is no. He’s not the most unlucky player since Lindros. Yea, he’s had some bad luck with these two injuries, but that’s pretty much the extent of it.

And nobody is going to give Eichel or the Sabres any sympathy given the shameless tanking that occured that allowed them to get Eichel in the first place and Eichel’s reputation as a giant douchebag and coach killer, deserved or not.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Thanks, AnimalFear, I knew there was a relation.

I'd give likes but can't atm.

As fervent and well-intentioned as JackAttack is, nobody on this forum can draw as much negative attention to Eichel as he can through his tedious posts. He pretty much single handedly makes up for the lack of Sabres discussion on the mainboard, not that there's much good to say.

While there is bias, I am not some blind-mark and always give credit where it's due.

Wasn't necessary to take that dig but you do what you do I guess.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
My favorite Jack Eichel fact, I think it was Pegula who came out after they lost the McDavid pick, basically being pissed that they'd have to settle for Eichel. Like I mean c'mon man what the hell :laugh:

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Also forgot to add:

A clear 2nd behind one of the best American talents to join the NHL where he would've easily been considered the best young American without him, now he has to play in a dead end city as a 2nd fiddle to A-God

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Some pretty good prospects are on the way for him to play with. Once guys like mittelstadt, pu, and asplund come up things will get better for him.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
What’s with all the fonts in th OP?

Eichel has had a tough start with injuries and he’s on a bad team. He’s not close to the unluckiest. Players like Joe Thornton, Alex Ovechkin, and Henrik Lundqvist have been dominate in the NHL for almost decades and none have a cup.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Thanks, AnimalFear, I knew there was a relation.

I'd give likes but can't atm.

While there is bias, I am not some blind-mark and always give credit where it's due.

Wasn't necessary to take that dig but you do what you do I guess.
I don't mean to take a dig at you personally, more so your methods and motivations. It all just seems kind of melodramatic, imo of course.

I don't think a mainboard discussion can realistically go beyond, "good player, bad team", "not as good as X given X's individual and/or team success" and "he's ugly xD".

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think there was a pretty good amount of people in the summer expecting to see Eichel break out this year in terms of point totals. Everyone knows he's a really good player.

But it hasn't happened. I doubt anyone is in their right mind would say he's not a star player though (what one defines a superstar is opinion based).

There just isn't much to talk about right now. Sabres were out of it by Christmas and for Eichel it looks like his season will be pretty much status quo compared to the last. Im sure there will be a time when the Sabres raise some eye brows in a positive way and people start talking, but i don't think dwelling on the Sabres struggles is something people care to do.

I don't think he's been that unlucky in the bigger picture. Sure there's the injuries but when the team is this bad it doesn't even matter. His numbers look good and he got the big deal so personally for him it shouldn't make much of a difference at this point. Different story if the team becomes competitive and he keeps on getting hurt.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
He is 21... Nobody thinks of Eichel as the guy who can't even score 60 points... Being drafted 2nd overall is not some injustice... really his hair, are you having a bad day OP?
Well until he actually scores 60 Points he hasn't scored 60 Points. And everybody will bring it up especially now that his new contract will kick in.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Ya, he is so unlucky....signing an 8 x 10,000,000 contract without having to first earn it, and being set up for the rest of his life, even if he continues to sprain his ankle every year. What a tough pill to swallow.

Thank god we are all not so unlucky.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Ya, he is so unlucky....signing an 8 x 10,000,000 contract without having to first earn it, and being set up for the rest of his life, even if he continues to sprain his ankle every year. What a tough pill to swallow.

Thank god we are all not so unlucky.

Would it hurt you to read the second sentence of the OP?

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
On the other hand his injuries are nothing serious. A sprained ankle won't make him worse long term what so ever. Could have been something like Erik Karlsson's that stops him from ever reaching 100% again. At least so he says himself.

Another silver lining is that with Eichel gone, perhaps they'll end up getting Dahlin which in turn will help him become a top 5 scorer in NHL in the coming years. Buffalo have been a tad better as of late and that might had been enough to climb a position or two and thusly perhaps loose out on #1 and Dahlin.

To be honest it is kind of cool how he went under the radar until very recently. I always said only McDavid and Crosby have better tools in all of NHL. So perhaps if he gets someone better than Girgenson and Okposo on his line and a working PP from the start of the next season he'll actually challange for the Art.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
My favorite Jack Eichel fact, I think it was Pegula who came out after they lost the McDavid pick, basically being pissed that they'd have to settle for Eichel. Like I mean c'mon man what the hell :laugh:

It was GM Tim Murray. His days were numbered after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->