Is John Chayka a top-3 GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
This thread sure felt premature! Lets wait until the Yotes make the playoffs! And maybe actually make some noise in the playoffs!

There's a lot of that going around lately....

He's done well patching holes but imo has left them with a goaltending situation that was never going to succeed. Raanta is not a #1 and neither is Domingue. They look young and exciting up front and decent on defence but a goalie tandem of career back-up's spells out a long season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I still don't see what he has done to not be rated the worst GM in the league. Except the fact that he's new so unlike literally all other GMs he doesn't have some blemishes on his record.

Reactions: Iceman

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I liked his off season moves to be honest. It isn't going to translate for a while but on paper they were good. Goalie situations aren't easy to fix, he took a chance with Raanta and maybe it doesn't end up working. But there wasn't a surefire bet for goalie, plus Arizona simply isn't deep enough to do much even if they had Price in net. It's going to depend on if the youth truly step up and perform well enough there, which is kind of beyond his control. The adds on D and getting Stepan were solid moves. Arizona is just kind of in a strange spot.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
And it's this thread that has made me realize we need to rebrand this forum. HFBoards doesn't cut it anymore.

HTBoards is better. Hot Takes Board.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Coyote fans are still singing his praises because he made all the right analytical moves. Young NHL fans think that's how you build a winning team now, through analytics. " they are young and exciting to watch", ha,ha! How much rope will they give him before they start calling for his head on the chopping block?
If this was an old guard GM they would be calling for his head already.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
His offseason moves made sense. Raanta is a steady goaltender who takes away some of the pressure put on the defence. Hjalmarsson solidifies the defence. And Stepan steps into the 1C role so a young player doesn't have to.

Problem is that their prospects aren't really high end outside of Keller.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
OEL is the only elite NHL talent they have.

After that, at this point, they have a lot of 2nd 3rd line tweeners and mid pair defensemen. Domi, Duclair, Dvorak, Crouse etc arent particulary impressive and certainlu not elite. Keller looks like might be a good one though.

Was Strome his pick? That was a poor one

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Can this thread be closed? Clearly Chayka has done enough yet nor been a GM long enough to be judged. Fans of other teams chiming in after every game is pretty pointless. NO Coyotes fan regards him as a top 3 GM. He has done some good things and some not so good things in the first year+.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I still don't see what he has done to not be rated the worst GM in the league. Except the fact that he's new so unlike literally all other GMs he doesn't have some blemishes on his record.
He's a pure analytics guy. He's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for some.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Was Strome his pick? That was a poor one

He was named GM on May 5, 2016. Strome was picked while Maloney was still GM.

Draft picks under Chayka: Keller, Chychrun, Dineen, Kulda, Stewart, Joseph, Westerlund, Entwistle, Schnarr, Crotty, Hoefenmeyer, Karow, Steenbergen, Walli Walterholm

Trades

In - Hjalmarsson, Stepan, Raanta, Demers, Rights to Goligoski, 2016 16th overall (Chychrun), 2017 1st, Crouse, 2018 2nd, 2017 3rd, 2016 4th, Conditional 3rd, Holland, 2018 5th, 2019 4th (conditional 2nd), Downing, Johnson, Hickey, Datsyuk, Bolland

Out - Hanzal, 2017 7th overall (Andersson), 2016 20th overall, DeAngelo, Michael Stone, Connor Murphy, Mike Smith (25% retained), 2016 37th overall, 2016 53rd overall, McGinn, 2017 3rd, 2017 3rd, 2017 4th, 2016 5th, 2017 6th, 2018 6th, Letunov, Vitale, White, Dauphin

Signings

Goligoski, McGinn, White, Schenn, Vrbata, Clendening, Cousins, Etem

I'd say he's done a really good job for the first 17 and a half months. Keller was a home run at 7th overall. Chychrun was a great pick at 16th overall. If a 50 year old long time GM made the same moves Chayka made they would easily be ranked in the top 5.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I like his overall body of work so far. Their current record doesn't matter a whole lot to me, a GM's job is to plan for the long term.

I didn't like the Stepan trade and thought it was premature considering the state of the team's rebuild, and my opinion hasn't changed in that regard.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I like his overall body of work so far. Their current record doesn't matter a whole lot to me, a GM's job is to plan for the long term.

I didn't like the Stepan trade and thought it was premature considering the state of the team's rebuild, and my opinion hasn't changed in that regard.

I'm sure Chayka's superiors want to see some progress in the standings. He chose Stepan.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm sure Chayka's superiors want to see some progress in the standings. He chose Stepan.

Then he chose poorly.

Wouldn't have paid that kind of price for him. I can't imagine Chayka being under the thumb of his "superiors". He's the man in charge and he'll get the credit when it's due, and he'll also get the blame when it's due.

To me, the Stepan move struck me as a bad move from day 1. It's not like it was the missing piece to turn that team into a contender either.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Then he chose poorly.

Wouldn't have paid that kind of price for him. I can't imagine Chayka being under the thumb of his "superiors". He's the man in charge and he'll get the credit when it's due, and he'll also get the blame when it's due.

To me, the Stepan move struck me as a bad move from day 1. It's not like it was the missing piece to turn that team into a contender either.

Agreed, they way overpaid in that trade and Stepan is on the way down. Neither the Stepan nor the Hjalmarsson trade seemed necessary. That could turn into a big waste. I'd probably trade the both of them and maybe OEL too. Stick with the youth movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->