Is it worth going to the draft for fans?

#2eddieshore

May 29, 2005
Hi,

I was wondering what its like for fans at the Draft. I saw on ticketmaster that I can go for 5 bucks into the balcony and thats the only option. I will be in Vancouver the day after but am considering going a day early so I can see the draft. Is it interesting?

Any info appreciated.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
depends on a few things - are you really interested in the draft eligible players? does your team have a 1st round pick?

there are a lot of things to like about the draft as a fan, but i can also see how someone would find it terribly boring.

if you have the time and ability to go, i'd suggest doing so - it's a great experience, at least one time.

HappyPappy

Apr 2, 2006
I went to the draft in Toronto. Was on the balcony for 1st round and it was cool and for 2nd round I snuck in to the lower bowl since there isn't even any security and it was really cool sitting near the players and their families.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
personally i think it would be more interesting watching it on TV with commentary. The only exception i might make would be if your a fan of the flyers, they have like 500 draft picks in the first 3 rounds.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I have decided against going.. even though the tickets are cheap. I just am going to sit and home and I enjoy the commentary more on TV. I have a few draft guides printed up (including X-Sharkies) and will use those as the draft goes along.

Most of my friends could care less about the draft, they don't really know anyone beyond Staal, Kessel, Toews and EJ.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm going to be going to the draft and I'm really looking forward to it. The main thing is you have to ask yourself how big of a draft fan are you? Do you usually follow it every year and have a relatively good idea about the prospects available? If so, then you'd probably have a good time.

Here in Vancouver there's going to be a hockey card and memorabilia show in the concourse of GM Place that you can look around at as well as displays of all the NHL Awards including the Stanley Cup which you will more than likely be able to get your picture taken with.

A friend of mine has STs to the Canucks and was able to score lower bowl seats for me and a bunch of our friends to go so we're able to sit down with all of the prospects and their families so I'm going to be taking a bunch of stuff and a sharpie in case I bump into anybody so I can snag an autograph or two. A friend of mine went to the one in Nashville and was able to meet some of the NHL brass while there, he bumped into Marc Crawford and had a nice talk with him.

If you don't really know too much about the prospects it'd probably be fairly boring.

I'm stoked because I'm able to get inside the arena for Day 2 which I don't believe is available for sale, so that should be pretty cool. :yo:

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Day 2? What goes on on day 2? Are there still players there? I thought players are advised not to go to the draft if they weren't pretty sure of going in the top 2 or 3 rounds.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Unless I've heard wrong, day 2 is like day 1, just without all the hoopla of people walking up to the podium and announcing picks.

Stefan

Jan 18, 2005
Ottawa - HabsTown
www.o98-designs.com
Jovofan said:
Unless I've heard wrong, day 2 is like day 1, just without all the hoopla of people walking up to the podium and announcing picks.

Essentially. The picks are announced from the team's table, and the vast majority (if not all) the players are not present who are selected.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
steblick said:
I am almost certain that there is no day 2 this year. It is all scheduled for the one day- into the late evening.
How are you going to complete a 7 round draft in one day, especially since it'll begin at 3pm?

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Jovofan said:
How are you going to complete a 7 round draft in one day, especially since it'll begin at 3pm?
After the first round it moves very quickly. Seven rounds in a day is not a problem. I also thought it was only a one day draft now. Certainly last year it was one day.

AgentNaslund*

I really wanna go. Tickets went fast like hell. :cry:

I wanna go, because the draft does not come to your city often. Infact its very rare. damn. its a rare expierence.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Saw it at the RBC a few years ago. It's a great time. Especially if the hosting team has a good pick or makes a move like the Canes did that year. The place really roared when they made the move to go after Ladd. It's fun to see the prospects and their excitement or dissappoint as their big day unfolds.

They usually display awards and trophies and alot of the prospects are available for signing or whatever. It's good for at least the first two rounds. And how many people can say they saw Ovechkin get drafted in person? Bring a laptop if ya get bored and chat with all the nuts following along.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
neelynugs said:
columbus 2007
ottawa 2008

I will go to the one in Columbus no doubt.

I went to the one in Boston a while back. I thought it was a good time, but it can be a long day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad