BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Last edited:

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
It's a hockey discussion forum - we aren't curing cancer here, so sure why not. 4 games into an 82 game season - 5% of the season, but sure, let's play. Random thoughts:

Saad - I'm LOVING what he's doing. Net front presence and grit. Can anyone recall a greasy goal from a Hawks player last season? Saad already has two or three and other guys are going net front too (Anisomov vs. Habs). He's made Toews better (which is really why he's here over Arti, isn't it?)

Panik - really liking his play as well. He still has problems staying out of the box, but I'm liking his grit. While he didn't get an assist on the goal the other night, his effort on that check on the boards to take the puck and generate the chance was a thing of beauty and sorely missing from this team.

Kane - well, I liked his first two games. They were a clinic in puck movement and highlight reel. Very disappointed in the last two. He has those random 'I'm disinterested' road games every season. He just had two in a row at the very start of the season after a long rest. Missing Schmatlz perhaps?

Schmaltz - loving what he did. Poor kid is taking a beating. Need him back ASAP.

Crow - 3 goals allowed in 3 games on 107 shots. Fantastic. The Columbus goal was fluky and the Habs goal was a the result of a terrible Hartman turnover and a shot he wasn't expecting (but one I still think he should have had). He's been outstanding.

Toews - he looks quicker and he's winning board battles. Saad has given him a shot in the arm. He leads the league as a +8. Not hard to do when your two linemates have 8 goals in 4 games (and he himself has 2G). That pace won't continue, but I like it. He's at 55.8% for FO. I'd like to see that a bit higher, but I'll take it with the officiating silliness. He's on pace for 41G/62A/103PTS and a +164. That would be pretty good. :)

Anisimov - I like that he got a goal the other night be being net front (on a greasy pass). He's surprisingly at 55% on FO which is a very good thing. That said, he looks very slow to me.

DeBrincat - kid had a great game the other night. The goal was great but the pass on the AA goal was better. Really like his game and his grit. All those points going around in games 1 and 2 and him not getting one was surprising (he did have a post). I do like the grit, but I want him to table it. He stood up to big guys giving 6 inches and 70 pounds and while that's cool, it could come back to bite him.

Ruuta/Kempny/Forsling - very much liking their game and pleasantly surprised at the size and speed. Forsling's seasoning last year improved his game dramatically. Really liking Rutta. In particularly, I'm liking how the defense actually now has guys who can bring size and speed AND activate and get shots through from the point. Something SORELY missing before. I thought this was going to be a big concern for the Hawks but it's looking to be a strength. Don't like the shot totals from the opposing teams last two games, but that seemed to be more of an issue with the forward vs. the D men

Forsberg - a great game against Tor that stole a point. Very much like what I saw. Small sample size but so far so good. I'll say it this way - the Hawks have a back up goalie.

Murphy/Franson - so far so good. I like that Franson likes to shoot the damn puck. The Franson pass on the PP goal was excellent.

Hartman - terrible turnover leads to a goal the other night, but I like how his game has advanced.

Sharp - looks healthy and fast. Good stuff.

All in all, 7 out of 8 points in the first 4 games of a tough schedule of 4 games in the first 6 days against playoff teams including the SC champion - I'll take it!

Reactions: LordKOTL

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ Good write-up. I didn't mention any negatives in the article but if we're going to see this many penalties, our PP needs to get a helluva lot better. The PK looks pretty good, so there's that.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
BH - You must of had the greatest summer ever with how positive this post is. Nice breakdown. I am not that positive yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: migi and RayP

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am forgiving the penalties for now due to the rule changes but that pass is only good for 10-15 games max.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Not when you're 3-0-1 it's not too early. :laugh:

Good stuff guys, have been watching the games with people so far so haven't been able to notice a lot of this stuff.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
BH - You must of had the greatest summer ever with how positive this post is. Nice breakdown. I am not that positive yet.

Yeah. I want to be as positive, especially when it comes to the play of Forsling and Seabs, and it hasn't been all bad, but it's a bit scary that both of these guys are supposedly in our top 4 in Q's mind.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
with the beginning of the season, plus the onslaught of the offense of this team, esp the play of the 1st line. Kane's production is really being really overshadow. i mean, has anyone really looked into the stats that first 2 line has produce ??

whew..... i really going to hate when it stops, b/c they can not keep that production for the whole season.

this success has really surprise me.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
IF AA and Schmaltz can be respectable with face offs, then i think we've already got a great 4 line rotation for the playoffs:

Saad-Toews-Panik
Hartman-Schmaltz-Kane
Sharp-Anisimov-DeBrincat
Wingles/Hinostroza-Kero-Hayden

The question will be can we upgrade the blue line. I like Keith-Seabs as a #1 pairing, and I think with Kempny, Rutta, Murphy, and Forsling we have legit depth 4-7. But we NEED to add a legit #3 defenseman to anchor a legit 2nd pairing(playing along side one of Kempny/Rutta/Murphy/Forsling). We have cap space, just gotta be patient, let those other guys get some playing time and see maybe if we can use one of them as a trade chip.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Last night against Wild I think our D was very good. Forsling's turnover, Toews hand-grenade, yeah. Shit happens. 99% of time it was excellent.

They just need to figure out how to exit the zone more consistently. Overall I'm surprised how Rutta, Kempny and Forsling are playing and hopefully they keep improving.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
You guys are on looney tunes..tge #2 problem is the sloppy play of #7 and #2 each with 9 give-aways in 5GP. ..keeps pucks in our zone too long and also break-away and 2 on 1s ...You cannot have 147.6 give-aways projected for 82 games for each of then let alone as a combo ..Outrageously sloppy . By 2 "trusted" vets who are at a high pay grade cost g $12 milion+ ....Plus ...Zero offense points to mitigate poor defense by Seabrook over last 4 games and also just 1a in 5GP from Keith.If this ain't regression by 2 geezer vets,I am not sure what is regression ..It cannot be "Progress".By not even mention g this problem with #7 and #2 based on the facts,you are looking with rose-colored glasses for this team to contend for a Cup .You #2 D-pair simply must pkay a lit better..

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You guys are on looney tunes..tge #2 problem is the sloppy play of #7 and #2 each with 9 give-aways in 5GP. ..keeps pucks in our zone too long and also break-away and 2 on 1s ...You cannot have 147.6 give-aways projected for 82 games for each of then let alone as a combo ..Outrageously sloppy . By 2 "trusted" vets who are at a high pay grade cost g $12 milion+ ....Plus ...Zero offense points to mitigate poor defense by Seabrook over last 4 games and also just 1a in 5GP from Keith.If this ain't regression by 2 geezer vets,I am not sure what is regression ..It cannot be "Progress".By not even mention g this problem with #7 and #2 based on the facts,you are looking with rose-colored glasses for this team to contend for a Cup .You #2 D-pair simply must pkay a lit better..

As I said in the original article: It is way too early to be so critical. As an example, 42 had a miserable pre-season, but 2 weeks later he still makes the odd gaffe (like any rookie) but he looks like an NHL Dman with the potential to be real good. This team has chemistry to build, and it's not going to happen overnight. Cool your jets. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->