Is it time to blow the team up and rebuild?

Is it time to rebuild?

• Total voters

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Plekanec to the Pens continues to make sense to me. Who do they have that we could target as a young player?

Is this right now? Because it would require Montreal retaining half of Plekanec's salary and taking on an awful cap dump like Hunwick to make a deal achievable.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He had a choice to not sign Price. But he signed Price to keep his job, nothing more.

He has no vision.

I mean, I would've signed Price too.. but I wouldn't have traded Subban for Weber, made the Shawful trade, signed Alzner.. but I would've brought Markov and Radulov back. Probably would have made the Drouin deal in that sense.. and I would've developed Galchenyuk as a C, or traded him before his value was gone when I -decided he will never be a C-
Well, I think many things would have been different and perhaps you are nowhere the situation we are in today.
First order of business, you don't hire Therrien.
Second order of business, priority is Galchenyuk's development, so the focus is to sign good skilled wingers that we can surround him with.
It really pisses me off everytime I think about how we decided to sign Briere instead of Jagr. I'm sure he could have helped that kid so much.

For 6 seasons now, Bergevin has completely ignored the fact that he needs to think about providing players to Galchenyuk. I don't think for a second he doesn't discuss roster possibilities with his coach when acquiring a player. So they probably discuss Drouin at center. Then Julien being defensive, he isn't putting another liable center in the top 2, so he prefers Plek over Galch. That leaves Galch with very little else on the bottom 2 lines as Bergevin didn't bring any other winger....

Man it is so frustrating to watch our beloved team be run by such bozos.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
These are HF boards. Everything and anything about hockey can and will be discussed. If a thread is created about weather we should rebuild or not, then I believe a discussion about what we honestly can expect in return for Price is a starting point. I agree, we can't know for sure but that's that the discussion is all about.
Hmmm...okay...?...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't know about a "rebuild" but at the deadline I think MB.... errr I mean pierre mcguire could get a fortune for a guy like Plekanec relative to his real value. Patches is anoter guy you could likely get a first + top level prospect for.

The best thing to happen to us in the last 5 seasons was acquiring Sergachev who got us Drouin. If we fall hard again this year, we can take a hard look at who we are as a team and do a min-rebuild.

- Pleky will fetch a 2nd, maybe a 1st depending on what kind of year he has.

- Patch has higher value or equal value as Duchene. We would and should get a significant return for Patch if our GM has the guts to make this move.

- Gallagher's stock is falling. I say we see what we can get for him as well.

Just these 3 trades along would bring in a pretty good haul and improve our young core while we can explore other trade options as well as go after Tavares as a UFA (if he reaches that point). The perception of our team's future can change in just one year if circumstances work in our favor.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Is this right now? Because it would require Montreal retaining half of Plekanec's salary and taking on an awful cap dump like Hunwick to make a deal achievable.

I really doubt Hunwick is a cap dump for them. I agree with others, if Plekanec is moved to the Penguins it's closer to deadline day. The Penguins do not need him right now and will want to save as much money possible on the cap. And we won't be getting much for him so let's not get our hopes up, I'd be happy if we could land a 2nd

HabsRenegade

This is fine
Nov 8, 2004
Montreal
I answered "Too early to say".

You have to take into consideration the fact that there isn't a single line on defensive paring returning from last year. The Mete-Weber and Alzner-Petry duos need time to find chemistry. This is a great top-4 talent-wise but let them find each other. Maybe they never will but it's waaayy too early to give up.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
We did try to draft and develop one... Galchenyuk. We just got unlucky in our draft year where no legit center was available. Would you rather us draft Grigorenko? He's a center right? And he was ranked in the top 5 before the draft too! Just imagine if we drafted him vs Galchenyuk and what people would be saying today?

Geesh since it has now become ALL about being lucky or unlucky let UncLe Leon be GM then. Have some laughs while we are at it.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Geesh since it has now become ALL about being lucky or unlucky let UncLe Leon be GM then. Have some laughs while we are at it.

why not? Uncle Leo got purple jacket too.

uncle-leo.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yes, luck and timing has an impact. Look how many 1st overall picks it took the Oilers to get McDavid while the Leafs snagged Mathews with just 1 first overall pick. You can laugh all you want but luck and timing is a factor that most don't consider when it comes to a rebuild.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yes, luck and timing has an impact. Look how many 1st overall picks it took the Oilers to get McDavid while the Leafs snagged Mathews with just 1 first overall pick. You can laugh all you want but luck and timing is a factor that most don't consider when it comes to a rebuild.

They still managed to nab Marner and Nylander with other top picks. It's about making picks count when you get them, as well.

You need to be lucky to win the lottery and get that franchise player, but it's a higher chance then hoping to hit a home run late in round 1-7

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
If the Habs can get a top 3 d without trading Chucky, they don't have to rebuild. Their forward group is young enough to hope that Juulsen, Mete and Lernout develop in the next 2 years. I don't think Weber or Price will decline that dramatically over that time.

They also would really need to get their shit together with Chucky though. They have decent enough pieces at forward: Gallagher, Lekhonen, Drouin, Pacioretty, Hudon, Galchenyuk.

Roster spots held by De la Rose, Benn, Michell, Shaw, Schlemko, Hemsky, Davidson need to be upgraded significantly. If Alzner is already declining, his position will need to be upgraded as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They still managed to nab Marner and Nylander with other top picks. It's about making picks count when you get them, as well.

You need to be lucky to win the lottery and get that franchise player, but it's a higher chance then hoping to hit a home run late in round 1-7

How about the Oilers? You think they were lucky or unlucky with the Yakupov pick? You missed my point and you are looking at the success stories and turning a blind eye to the non success stories. I repeat, luck and timing of when you get a top 5 pick has a lot to do with it. It is after all called a lottery draft ;)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How about the Oilers? You think they were lucky or unlucky with the Yakupov pick? You missed my point and you are looking at the success stories and turning a blind eye to the non success stories. I repeat, luck and timing of when you get a top 5 pick has a lot to do with it. It is after all called a lottery draft ;)

Most people were unlucky with the 2012 draft.

They made the wrong pick vis-a-vis Taylor vs. Tyler.

I'm well aware that not every episode of tanking -works-, but there are more episodes of tanking working than staying in mediocrity and hoping for a miracle. It just doesn't happen.

It took Los Angeles hitting on Doughty, Kopitar, getting Quick later.. and then using Simmonds, Schenn, Johnson (top 5 picks and a late round gem) to make trades for top players.

It took Pittsburgh to hit on Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

Chicago had to hit on Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook etc.

It's tanking, it's putting a premium on developing and scouting. It's about getting the best people in hockey and bringing them over and building something from the ground up.

It is not saying... gee I hope Ryan Poehling develops an entirely new skill-set and becomes a #1 C!

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The only way they could trade Plekanec to Pittsburgh is if it's at or close to the deadline and MTL retains 50%. They have 2M in cap space and don't really have a capdump on their team.

So, I'd say at the deadline Plekanec at 50% for Sprong. I doubt they want to trade Sprong, but if they think they're a top end 3C away from a 3 peat, they might bite.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The only way they could trade Plekanec to Pittsburgh is if it's at or close to the deadline and MTL retains 50%. They have 2M in cap space and don't really have a capdump on their team.

So, I'd say at the deadline Plekanec at 50% for Sprong. I doubt they want to trade Sprong, but if they think they're a top end 3C away from a 3 peat, they might bite.

You're not getting Sprong for Plekanec... C'mon. He's their top prospect by a mile. Would arguably be our top prospect too.

You might get a 2nd round pick for a 50% retained Plekanec at the deadline. Maybe more if someone is desperate. I'd be fine with that.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
You're not getting Sprong for Plekanec... C'mon. He's their top prospect by a mile. Would arguably be our top prospect too.

You might get a 2nd round pick for a 50% retained Plekanec at the deadline. Maybe more if someone is desperate. I'd be fine with that.

You're a ray of sunshine today. Team's that are going after Cups trade the future for the present, and it's not like Sprong is a top 10 blue chip prospect. Plus, he's a winger so that lowers his value as well.

Like I said, I don't imagine they would want to move him; but stranger things have happened.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
You're a ray of sunshine today. Team's that are going after Cups trade the future for the present, and it's not like Sprong is a top 10 blue chip prospect. Plus, he's a winger so that lowers his value as well.

Like I said, I don't imagine they would want to move him; but stranger things have happened.

As always!

I just think you severely overrate the value of some of our assets. Price for Laine + a 1st is ridiculous, you can't pry a guy like Laine out of Winnipeg unless you have a McDavid, Matthews or Eichel on the table. That's just the way it is.

Likewise, Pittsburgh won't trade their best prospect for guy like Plekanec. Getting a pick out of them is a far more likely, considering they did just move a 1st rounder for Reaves. As for Sprong not being a top 10 blue chipper... There's not a ton of winger prospects that I'd have ahead of him.

Don't take my word for it, you can go directly to the source and ask Pens fans directly.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
As always!

I just think you severely overrate the value of some of our assets. Price for Laine + a 1st is ridiculous, you can't pry a guy like Laine out of Winnipeg unless you have a McDavid, Matthews or Eichel on the table. That's just the way it is.

Likewise, Pittsburgh won't trade their best prospect for guy like Plekanec. Getting a pick out of them is a far more likely, considering they did just move a 1st rounder for Reaves. As for Sprong not being a top 10 blue chipper... There's not a ton of winger prospects that I'd have ahead of him.

Don't take my word for it, you can go directly to the source and ask Pens fans directly.

I'll pass on asking Penguins fans. I just can't be arsed plus I just don't think he's that great of a prospect. He more of a product of being part of an organization with no prospect depth becuase of all the winning and trades they've made. Plekanec is underrated around here, more so than me overrating him. The guy had a down year last year, but he's a consistent 20 goal scorer that plays a 200 foot game and is a top notch penalty killer. He's a better Bonino who was incredibly important for Pittsburgh in their runs.

As for the Price for Laine trade, ya the 1st was too much. But I do think if Winnipeg got desperate to make the playoffs they'd move him for Price. I bet Bergevin would be the one that wouldn't do it.

De Gaulle

Oct 12, 2017
I think that's its time, we're not going anywhere but down so why not blow it up and try to rebuild.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Well go to the "rebuild thread" and you can discuss your genius ideas on how to make our team better in 7 years from now. Expecting us to be scoring like the Pens, Oilers, and Leafs is ridiculous. Sorry, I think we can still be effective similar to how the Sens almost made the cup finals last year. I think it's a long shot but I rather try than give up.

Habs were the 3rd highest scoring team in the league in 2012-13 the year Bergevin inherited the team. Only Chicago and Pittsburgh were better. No Crosby, no McDavid, no Matthews. How is that possible?

The habs had the horses to run the race. There was an apparent philosophy change after the habs lost to the Sens in the playoffs that year similar to how the Devils have changed from a boring defensive first philosophy to a fast and exciting team. The Devils that have been known for their defensive style for decades have gotten with the times, Bergevin decided to go against the traffic on a one way street. It's a shame too because the habs were on the right track and actually progressive and forward thinking that year but then Therrien slipped back into his old habits and vieux pantouffe. Since then this team's talent level has been watered down every single year as Bergevin has succeeded in creating this team in his own image.

The solution? Fire Bergevin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad