Is it time to blow the team up and rebuild?

Is it time to rebuild?

• Total voters

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
With Bergevin, we went from a bubble playoff team to a legit top 10 NHL team winning 3 division titles in 5 years. You can use the Price card and I don't care. You ask me a question and I answered it. If you don't like reality, that is not my problem.

Now, if we end up missing the playoffs with a relatively healthy roster, then yeah, I say this is a major step backwards and we seriously need to look at replacing our GM. Are we at that point? NO, not yet. It's a very long season

So going on the worst streak of hockey in our history in 2015-2016 is acceptable to you?
Not firing the coach and keeping him until you are forced in a corner in 2016-2017 is fine?

Why aren't you answering my questions? Why are we performing worse in the playoffs?

You can frame the 3 division wins as positive all you want but 80% of the teams in the division were going through a rebuild (that is also called a fact).

What about in 5 years :

- 2 x 1st round exits
- 1 x 2nd round exit
- 1 x playoff no show

It's especially worrisome that the biggest changes happened over the last 2 years and our production has gotten worse.

If the team was a perennial dominant regular season team and just had some bad luck in the playoffs I'd be more leniant but this is not what's happenning. The team is falling behind and some of the players acquired don't seem to mesh well with the new NHL and I don't think they will get better as they age (quite the contrary).

So I'll repeat my ultimate question , can you please convince me why we should keep Bergevin , what has he done to make this team closer to reaching the ultimate goal?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Show us a list of teams that have acquired a #1C over the last 6 years and how they did it. Seems to be a fair way to discus this or are you not interested because you don't care and prefer to be frustrated and look beyond reality.

Asked and answered.

That has been discussed add nausea. Lets go in circles again. Ill leave that to the MB fans.

(btw, going back to 012 it would be quicker to name teams that have NOT added a number one center).

Now you are back to "trading is hard" :help: 'this aint play station" :huh:

More excuses.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Turris is up there, well better than what we have Ottawa in the final 4
Ryan Johansen was traded. SCF
Caps just traded Johanssen, a great center for 2 2nd round picks!!!!!! We traded that for a 3rd /4th line player in Andrew Shaw!!!!!!!!!!

Turris, Johansen, O'Reilly, Seguin... Even guys on the lower end like Stepan, Staal, Kesler or Zibanejad.

But he's right, you know. Top centers don't get traded often. Which is why you need to develop them yourself.

Hence why we developed Desharnais as one for well over 4 years while Galchenyuk was rotting away. Because logic.

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Price for Laine and a 1st. Then start Lindgren and sell off all aging parts including Pacioretty. Then in 3 years you can challenge. Imagine if they could add Dahlin to it, that would be unreal. Plus all the prospects and picks you get for Weber and Pacioretty alone.

But realistically, they'll try and spend the cap during the season on a centre, mortgage the future a bit more and "go for it" this year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Turris, Johansen, O'Reilly, Seguin... Even guys on the lower end like Stepan, Staal, Kesler or Zibanejad.

But he's right, you know. Top centers don't get traded often. Which is why you need to develop them yourself.

Hence why we developed Desharnais as one for well over 4 years while Galchenyuk was rotting away. Because logic.

Top centers don't get traded often. That is a fact and the reality of the NHL. When they do get traded, you better have assets to acquire them. You can make fun of this all you want but this is the reality of the NHL today.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Price for Laine and a 1st. Then start Lindgren and sell off all aging parts including Pacioretty. Then in 3 years you can challenge. Imagine if they could add Dahlin to it, that would be unreal. Plus all the prospects and picks you get for Weber and Pacioretty alone.

But realistically, they'll try and spend the cap during the season on a centre, mortgage the future a bit more and "go for it" this year.

You're never getting Laine for Price. Let alone a 1st round pick on top of it.

You wouldn't even get Ehlers.

I proposed Trouba + Connor + Mason and not a single Jets fan was willing to bite on that.

I don't think there's any package you could realistically throw at them to pry away a guy like Laine.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

Hahaha...Thanks for the laugh , I desperately needed a good chuckle. Habs could add Pacioretty to Price and still not get Laine. Laine is looking like a future Stamkos out there.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Top centers don't get traded often. That is a fact and the reality of the NHL. When they do get traded, you better have assets to acquire them. You can make fun of this all you want but this is the reality of the NHL today.

And who the f*** denies that exactly?

If you don't have the assets to trade for one, at least try to develop one. Which was my point.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Habs have been ripped for trading a player in his prime for a player 4 years older.

Jets are going to trade Laine, a 20 year old franchise player for a 30 year old injury prone 84 million dollar goalie?

I wish it would happen. But thats a pipe dream.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You are not getting Laine for Price. Forget about it. Teams would love to acquire Price but are going to offer prospects (not in the NHL yet) and future picks. If you don't like this, other GM's will tell you we will move on to other options in net. We are likely to have to take their current goalie in return as well. I would target the Oilers... Price, Pleky ($2M retained), Gallagher for Talbot, RNH, 2018 1st

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Sorry but that's just a pathetic excuse
We beat Buffalo. We had a day off facing the Caps
Back to back against the Rangers and they had a back to back as well
Day off home opener against a team coming into town having played the night before
Yes let's blame the schedule for Bergerien not doing his job yet having all summer to get things done
Oh and Dallas, well they should have never been in the picture in the first place.

I know. The excuses this team and some of the fans have is simply unheard of . No end to it. :laugh:

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

That was a joke right? Price for Laine AND a first?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And who the **** denies that exactly?

If you don't have the assets to trade for one, at least try to develop one. Which was my point.

We did try to draft and develop one... Galchenyuk. We just got unlucky in our draft year where no legit center was available. Would you rather us draft Grigorenko? He's a center right? And he was ranked in the top 5 before the draft too! Just imagine if we drafted him vs Galchenyuk and what people would be saying today?

icerocket

Jan 4, 2008
Atlantis
We did try to draft and develop one... Galchenyuk. We just got unlucky in our draft year where no legit center was available. Would you rather us draft Grigorenko? He's a center right? And he was ranked in the top 5 before the draft too! Just imagine if we drafted him vs Galchenyuk and what people would be saying today?

Ya having DD take up all the quality minutes and punishing Galchenyuk for any mistake was a great way to develop him.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Are you thick or do you actually believe this organization tried to develop Galchenyuk as a center?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
You are not getting Laine for Price. Forget about it. Teams would love to acquire Price but are going to offer prospects (not in the NHL yet) and future picks. If you don't like this, other GM's will tell you we will move on to other options in net. We are likely to have to take their current goalie in return as well. I would target the Oilers... Price, Pleky ($2M retained), Gallagher for Talbot, RNH, 2018 1st

I don't agree with your thought that Price would only yield prospects and picks. Exactly how many teams that Price might waive for could afford his salary without offloading similar salary?

I'm of the opinion that a top player, as well as prospects/picks would have to be part of a trade for price. Unless he mysteriously declines, he'll be tradeable into the foreseeable future. At the very worst, Habs retain $1.5 million. During a rebuild, the Habs wouldn't be a cap limit team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Are you thick or do you actually believe this organization tried to develop Galchenyuk as a center?

Don't know what your confusion is. I already said we tried to develop Galchenyuk as a center. I recommend you avoid the insults when others disagree with you ;). It only proves you are willing to go to extremes due to your inability to handle frustration. People are aloud to disagree. Get use to it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't agree with your thought that Price would only yield prospects and picks. Exactly how many teams that Price might waive for could afford his salary without offloading similar salary?

I'm of the opinion that a top player, as well as prospects/picks would have to be part of a trade for price. Unless he mysteriously declines, he'll be tradeable into the foreseeable future. At the very worst, Habs retain $1.5 million. During a rebuild, the Habs wouldn't be a cap limit team.

Well, no doubt we absorb salary in return but these parts of the return package is necessary if we are acquiring other pieces we use for the future. And I never said Price would only yield prospects and picks. I said this is likely what other teams offer us. I also said we probably have to take on their current goalie as well. If it's for a year or two, it's a necessary evil we have to acquire but when you are re-building, it's a small pill to swallow in the grand scheme of things.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What do you honestly think we can get in return for Price and do you think we would be able to trade him without salary retention?
Unfortunately we are not privy to this information. No point in really discussing these trades. That is why I rarely ever venture into the Trade Proposal thread. Simply no way for us to know. But I have zero reason to believe Price wouldn't attract some teams.

Sure, maybe we retain some salary, or maybe we don't and take in a bad contract that is going to expire sooner. You can speculate any scenario really, and any scenario presented can be argued against or for. So it is a pointless exercise.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I don't know about a "rebuild" but at the deadline I think MB.... errr I mean pierre mcguire could get a fortune for a guy like Plekanec relative to his real value. Patches is anoter guy you could likely get a first + top level prospect for.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Unfortunately we are not privy to this information. No point in really discussing these trades. That is why I rarely ever venture into the Trade Proposal thread. Simply no way for us to know. But I have zero reason to believe Price wouldn't attract some teams.

Sure, maybe we retain some salary, or maybe we don't and take in a bad contract that is going to expire sooner. You can speculate any scenario really, and any scenario presented can be argued against or for. So it is a pointless exercise.

These are HF boards. Everything and anything about hockey can and will be discussed. If a thread is created about weather we should rebuild or not, then I believe a discussion about what we honestly can expect in return for Price is a starting point. I agree, we can't know for sure but that's what the discussion is all about.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad