Is it time for Gary Bettman to leave?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
http://www.sportsbusinessnews.com/_news/news_357276.php

The last time I posted a link from Howard Bloom (yes I read his service) there where several comments. Well today, Bloom suggests enough is enough with Bettman and he should be fired.

Bettman was hired to put an NBA type salary cap in place. That's it. Now that he has done that what else does he bring to the table that can make the league grow? I for one don't see anything except failed marketing campaigns that never end, declining attendance, and nothing on the fire that will make the league grow.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
When Bettman arrived, the NHL had no national TV deal. They have had one every year since he arrived.

Bettman has proposed changes to the schedule. The OWNERS voted it down.

Bettman had nothing at all to do with the instigator rule. It predated him by years.
If people actually understood this, all these Bettman threads would cease to exist. He still gets constantly blamed for the schedule, even though he wanted to change it. Bettman wanted to change the schedule but they didnt get enough owners to agree. So the schedule doesnt change and for some reason Bettman still gets the blame. Crazy ****.

Even Oilers governor blasted Bettman for the schedule not changing back - http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2007/01/24/3438551-sun.html - which brings me to my next point:

Bettman saw the League through tremendous physical growth and very difficult times. He was the best man for the job during that period. A new commissioner with a different mind set could help move the league along now that the owners have their economic system in place.
Actually this I agree with. Maybe it is time for a fresh start. Obviously too many people have it in their heads that everything is Bettmans fault. Maybe now that the NHL is on better ground, a new start is needed. The idiot that was leading the PA is gone, maybe its Bettmans turn.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
From a pure business standpoint, Bettman is golden. He's achieved tremendous revenue growth and clearly put the owners in their best position in ages with fixed expenses. He's been great despite whatever fans may think (and remember, he's the owners' man, NOT our man and his performance needs to be assessed in those terms, not fandom's terms).

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
From a pure business standpoint, Bettman is golden. He's achieved tremendous revenue growth and clearly put the owners in their best position in ages with fixed expenses. He's been great despite whatever fans may think (and remember, he's the owners' man, NOT our man and his performance needs to be assessed in those terms, not fandom's terms).

That is the past it also took him longer than planned to get the NHL to where it is today. However, the revenue growth only goes so far. He has yet to address the future and yet to show the league is on the right path for the future.

Crosby87.*

He's not a fans man but all he talks about is how it's "for the fans"?

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
That is the past it also took him longer than planned to get the NHL to where it is today. However, the revenue growth only goes so far. He has yet to address the future and yet to show the league is on the right path for the future.
Moot. Right now he has delivered the goods for them. He will be rewarded.

As for revenues, league revenues were up last year, projected to be up this year. He's not going anywhere soon...

BCCHL inactive

Damn near every time somebody complains about Gary Bettman, there is no reason. All there is for justification is, "Bettman sucks", like it's a popular thing to do hating the commissioner.

The rare anti-Bettman "fan" who comes up with some kind of an explanation gets shot down in 2 seconds every time...

IE:...
When Bettman arrived, the NHL had no national TV deal. They have had one every year since he arrived.

Bettman has proposed changes to the schedule. The OWNERS voted it down.

Bettman had nothing at all to do with the instigator rule. It predated him by years.

Whining and crying about Bettman to somehow justify how your opinions about the game are better than everybody else's is getting old.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Bettman was brought in as a marketing man. The NHL is still a fringe sport in the US.

I don't blame Bettman for this but he certainly has failed to do what he was hired for.

There probably isn't anyone who can increase the popularity of the NHL in the US and get a cable contract. But at least hire a hockey guy who really knows the game. He couldn't do any worse. :teach:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Bettman was brought in as a marketing man. The NHL is still a fringe sport in the US.

I don't blame Bettman for this but he certainly has failed to do what he was hired for.

There probably isn't anyone who can increase the popularity of the NHL in the US and get a cable contract. But at least hire a hockey guy who really knows the game. He couldn't do any worse. :teach:

Bettman has completed what he was hired for. He put a Salary Cap into place.

If the NHL were to look for a new Commishoner the last thing they need is just a Hockey guy. They need a Hockey guy that knows how to grow businesses and keep the owners happy with cash rolling in.

GSC2k2*

I love this. Where did it ever start that Bettman is not a "hockey guy" - whatever the hell that is? I guess becaue he is short, from NY and a lawyer (and something else that we can neeeeeeeeeever talk about) he could not possibly be a "hockey guy".

Yeah, you're right. We should go back to those esteemed "hockey guys" like Gil Stein, John Ziegler, and Clarence Campbell, much like the NFL hired a "football guy" in Pete Rozelle and then Paul Tagliabue, and the NBA hired the esteemed basketball guy, that seven-footer David Stern.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I love this. Where did it ever start that Bettman is not a "hockey guy" - whatever the hell that is?

Someone who has NEVER played the game.

I guess becaue he is short, from NY and a lawyer (and something else that we can neeeeeeeeeever talk about)

What? He's not gay is he?? :dunno:

Yeah, you're right. We should go back to those esteemed "hockey guys" like Gil Stein

Gil Stein wasn't a hockey guy. :biglaugh:

GSC2k2*

Someone who has NEVER played the game.

What? He's not gay is he?? :dunno:

Gil Stein wasn't a hockey guy. :biglaugh:
1. He did play some hockey in his youth, I believe (though I am still waiting for what a "hockey guy" is and what it has to do with running a league). Either way, if he played a season or two in peewee he is a hockey guy, but if he did not then he isn't? Are you going to go with that?

2. He is not gay to my knowledge. Try again.

3. None of the guys I mentioned are "{whatever their sport is} guys", again whatever that is. Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
He is not gay to my knowledge. Try again

American. :dunno:

While "hockey guy" is pretty abstract I would describe him as someone who has played and knows the professinal game. Unlike Bettman who learned about the NHL on the job.

BCCHL inactive

While "hockey guy" is pretty abstract I would describe him as someone who has played and knows the professinal game.

Why should playing and "knowing the professional game" automatically qualify you to be a commissioner for the league?

That just isn't enough. You have to be a successful businessman to run a pro sports league. That's just reality today. How many former NHLers have become successful businessmen?

GSC2k2*

American. :dunno:

While "hockey guy" is pretty abstract I would describe him as someone who has played and knows the professinal game. Unlike Bettman who learned about the NHL on the job.
Wrong again.

Bettman knew all about the NHL before he joined. This type of thing, where you apparently believe all the hogwash spouted about Bettman over the years, is why I post. Bettman was a hockey fan growing up.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
The owners sticking to their guns got the salary cap. Bettman couldn't get them to do that back in 94-95. So I give him next to no credit this time.
No. Bettman got the Salary Cap. He tried to get in in '95, but was undercut by the big market owners who basically went behind his back, and got a deal over his objections. That's why he demanded the super majority rule in labor negotiations (75% vote of owners needed to approve a deal that he opposed, 50%+1 for a deal he OK-ed) when they renewed his contract, looking ahead to the next CBA. That was what kept the owners together and in line - it took only GB and 8 owners to block a deal - and get the Cap he couldn't get in '95.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
The owners sticking to their guns got the salary cap. Bettman couldn't get them to do that back in 94-95. So I give him next to no credit this time.

Yeah, Bettman and the owners Screwed the pooch the first time around trying to get a Salary Cap in the CBA.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Why should playing and "knowing the professional game" automatically qualify you to be a commissioner for the league?

Point being in hindsight it did not matter that NHL hired a "marketing man" like Bettman because hockey is still a fringe sport in the US. It made no difference. So next time I would rather see a Gretzky or Lemieux go for the job over an NBA employee.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Yeah, Bettman and the owners Screwed the pooch the first time around trying to get a Salary Cap in the CBA.
The owners (read the big market owners) did - not Bettman. They approved the '95 CBA over his objections. That's why he demanded and got the 75% supermajority rule for the next CBA negotiations.

Fugu

The owners (read the big market owners) did - not Bettman. They approved the '95 CBA over his objections. That's why he demanded and got the 75% supermajority rule for the next CBA negotiations.

Can you specify who these Big Market owners were? When you use such a broad brush, there might be people here who will assume its all the usual suspects, which of course would not be factually correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad