is it time for ads on uniforms?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's just a matter of time. Anyone who won't watch the game (most important thing in the discussion) because of some ads needs to check themselves before they wreck themselves.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
What do you think the point of the lockout was for?

so BOS, CHI and NYR could make more money then they did under the old CBA. Why do you think Wirtz and Jacobs were the ring leaders for the lockout.

Not only do they pocket many many millions more than before, they can raid teams like OTT of its all star talent and not have to invest any money in their own development systems.

What, you thought the lockout was to save teams like OTT, TBY and VAN? lol, well i guess you fell for it hook line and sinker like the rest of the sheep.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Gots to love that cap right OTT? The very vehicle that was sold as saving OTT has cost them two superstars.

Wow - some sour grapes, huh?

Those 2 superstars could have stayed in OTT. Things don't go smoothly so it's the cap's fault? So w/o a cap those 2 players would have stayed in OTT for less money than was offered elsewhere? - please.

All teams operate under the SAME system... (no matter if you think it's a good system or needs to be tweaked a bit, that seems to be fair)

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Wow - some sour grapes, huh?

Those 2 superstars could have stayed in OTT. Things don't go smoothly so it's the cap's fault? So w/o a cap those 2 players would have stayed in OTT for less money than was offered elsewhere? - please.

All teams operate under the SAME system... (no matter if you think it's a good system or needs to be tweaked a bit, that seems to be fair)

they wouldnt have had the leverage of pending UFA status, at least in Havlats case. In Chara's case, who knows, OTT was prohibited from even making an offer.

why would it be sour grapes, i am no OTT fan.

dont so cliche, all teams operated under the same system before too. some teams used money to buy talent, some teams developed talent. now no one can develop talent, or at least not too much of it at one time. i prefer to see excellence rewarded and not teams like CHI and BOS who are vultures, stealing from the fans and from the good teams.

HOF

Apr 1, 2006
I'll puke if I ever see ads on Jerseys. It looks pathetic. I can't even look at those European league jerseys.

The players look like a bunch of clowns.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Thank you!

I would assume that hockey fans would embrace an idea that would generate extra revenues for their favorite team, and therefore making gameplay better in other areas.

No, because fans would get nothing out of it except uglier jerseys.

Every team would be generating extra revenue, with the rich just getting richer (Toronto would surely generate more ad revenue than Nashville). No team really makes out much better in this - the rich/poor gap just widens, while high revenue teams can already afford to spend to the cap anyway.

No way the teams reduce ticket prices as a result of this new revenue and the cap just goes up slightly as a result.

So, let's recap:
Owners - win
Players - win
Fans - lose

Why should we be in favor of this?

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
People seem to overreact whenever this is brought up because they picture the European league jerseys and just assume that NHL jerseys would end up looking the same. That's not necessarily the case though. Believe it or not it is possible to have discreet advertising on uniforms. One example is the CFL - I've never heard anyone comment about how the RONA patch absolutely ruins the uniforms or makes them want to stop watching...

http://www.canoe.ca/Argos/News/2005/09/08/LevingstonAllen364X450.jpg

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002

So, let's recap:
Owners - win
Players - win
Fans - lose

Why should we be in favor of this?

the fans dont lose at all ... i would rather see the owners drain every area of revenue to maintain a strong business than resort to these artificial cap BS.

the more revenue, the better. tough beans if you cant afford tickets, you werent born with the right to attend hockey games. if the owners can get 10,000 per second and still fill the billing, they have every right too do it. just as they have every right to put advertising on the uniforms.

however, just as they should have no limits on how much revenue they generate, there shouldnt be a limit on how much a player can make. but alas, that battle has already been conceded.

SPARTAKUS*

i see nothing wrong with it. if i owned the product, i would put advertising in as many places as i could. remember, the product is a means of distribution. the NHL is doing its investors, players and other parties a disservice by not capturing as many dollars as possible.

i think OTT fans (and CGY fans in two years) should be BEGGING for a stream of revenue. If the CAP was 15 million dollars higher, they could have kept their team together, but since its not, the good teams are being punished so that crap teams like CHI can benefit.

Gots to love that cap right OTT? The very vehicle that was sold as saving OTT has cost them two superstars.

Bring on the revenue and stop your whining about it (not you OP, but everyone else)

And what makes you think ott would have been able to keep chara and havlat without a cap? Ottawa would not be able to afford a team of stars cap or no cap. And chara is not a huge lost in my opinion and havlat wanted to play elsewhere. The cap bothers more fans in toronto, detroit, philadelphia then those in ottawa and calgary.

p.s And by the way ads on uniforms don't bother me one bit. I think it would look great.

Easton

Aug 7, 2005
so BOS, CHI and NYR could make more money then they did under the old CBA. Why do you think Wirtz and Jacobs were the ring leaders for the lockout.

Not only do they pocket many many millions more than before, they can raid teams like OTT of its all star talent and not have to invest any money in their own development systems.

What, you thought the lockout was to save teams like OTT, TBY and VAN? lol, well i guess you fell for it hook line and sinker like the rest of the sheep.
Uh no, I believed the purpose of the lockout was to generate revenue so we wouldn't have to go to such measures like throwing ads on uniforms.

Schmautz

Jul 8, 2006
No Way!

It's just a matter of time. Anyone who won't watch the game (most important thing in the discussion) because of some ads needs to check themselves before they wreck themselves.

While we are at it lets take the Ads of the Ice and the Boards.

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
I've got no real problem with ads on jerseys.

What I'm curious about is whether it would be more profitable to:

a) maintain the status quo - change the jerseys rarely, use premium materials, and charge $100-200 for them.

or

b) use cheaper materials, change up the jerseys every year (with whatever minor or major changes a team wants - outside of changing colours and the logo), and sell them for, say, $50.

And if you did go with option b) and charge less, would fans feel ripped off with jerseys that changed every year? Or would they look forward to the release of each year's new jersey?

Brent Burns Beard