WJC: Is it really possible for Sweden to beat the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think Sweden is more talented but they just don't match up well against the US.

I think with the defensively weak defensemen that the US has that Sweden matches up pretty well against them.

I think the US will have to be very careful how they use Fox and Hughes against the Swedes.

I think the US is a much better match-up for the Swedes than Canada would be and not just because Canada is a much better team than the US.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
As does the Swiss head coach.
You make absolutely no sense. You're saying that for its completely impossible for the Swedes to beat the US because they're 'bigger, stronger, faster, etc.', while Slovakia did it with a significantly weaker team than both Sweden and USA. The Swiss head coach admitted they'd get dominated by Canada...and then the Swiss got dominated by Canada.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
You make absolutely no sense. You're saying that for its completely impossible for the Swedes to beat the US because they're 'bigger, stronger, faster, etc.', while Slovakia did it with a significantly weaker team than both Sweden and USA. The Swiss head coach admitted they'd get dominated by Canada...and then the Swiss got dominated by Canada.

And here i was thinking there's no way anyone misses the joke.

So yeah, relax dude. Of course Sweden can win.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
It is possible for a team of infants to beat the US. In theory.
I dunno. Infants will have problems with the US cycle game down low. I would expect them to also have problems clearing the blueline. Additionally, goaltending might be an issue. That one depends on if the team is allowed to place a crib directly in the net, and the dimensions of the crib itself.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
The strawman says hello,

I can't be the only one sick to death of this coming up in every thread ever since hfboards thinks it learned a new phrase(I say "thinks" because this was an improper usage). Also the post you responded to was clearly a joke in reference to the Switzerland coach. And of course Sweden could beat the States and I wouldn't be at all suprirsed.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Sweden dominates in preliminary rounds, thought I heard they haven’t lost a game in 12 years. Something like 44 and 0. Medal rounds are another story. I’d say it’s a coin toss.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I can't be the only one sick to death of this coming up in every thread ever since hfboards thinks it learned a new phrase(I say "thinks" because this was an improper usage). Also the post you responded to was clearly a joke in reference to the Switzerland coach. And of course Sweden could beat the States and I wouldn't be at all suprirsed.
I actually knew the word before joining :)

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Yes, thank you. Strawman is a term with a definition. Not simply any argument you don't like. In this case, no strawman was present.

And ironically the counterexample wasn't even valid because ok, well who was bigger? Slovakia, largest team in the tournament. Ok, who was stronger? Can't be sure but Slovakia was the heaviest team in the tournament and there's usually correlation there. Already this is shaping up to be a sorry counterexample.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Its hard to say what this Swedish team is capable of. They dont play the same way the swedish teams did 4 - 10 years ago with strong east - west possession hockey which was suicide against Canada and USA. On small ice there is always a concern with time for the D. Coming from big ice they arent accustomed to the lack of time they will have under pressure from north american teams. I would suspect USA will win but who knows how Nylander et al will play tomorrow. Maybe Nylander might even try to work hard instead of just talking about it... Will be an interesting game though! =)

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
'Obviously, but I seriously doubt it though. Haven't impressed me this tourny. Thought way higher of Sweden going in to the tournament

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Sweden can lay an egg or a golden egg like a goose of a fairy tale.

It all depends on the day and the way they, say, play.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Do they have the talent? YES
Do they have the mental strength? NO

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Expect a tough game, impossible to predict the winner. I think Swedish fans underestimate their team a little bit, the Swedes have been playing very good thus far in my opinion, after all, they won all 5 games. If somebody expected them to beat all other teams by 4 or more goals or so, this was unrealistic. But obviously the US team is absolutely great, they allowed the surprise against Slovakia, but something like that can happen to every team, especially in the junior hockey. Hopefully we will have some entertaining game here.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Just a gut feeling, but I feel like Sweden is going to stun them and win by a pair.

That said, I’m no psychic and wouldn’t at all be surprised if USA does as most expect and win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad