Is it possible to play season through summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Just wondering out loud...if for no other reason than to change the topic a bit. But let's say the deal is done this weekend. Why is it necessary only to have a short season this year. Why not push through the summer??? This way both the owners and players could recoup some monies - heh it's not like the attendance can go any lower in some places or television viewership smaller????

Speed Demon

Nov 10, 2004
New Brunswick
That is kind of weird... seeing how there is hockey in Florida during the winter. If they can do it in Florida, they can do it anywhere else.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
A season that ended in early July might be do-able. The only weird thing is that contracts typically expire on July 1st, which is when teams usually start signing free agents. But I guess they could agree that for this season, contracts would could be extended to like July 15th or something, and they could move the draft back a month as well.

28 of the 30 teams wouldn't notice that the offseason was shorter by a few weeks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay has one of the best ice surfaces in the league due to the system they use. If everyone used the same system Tampa Bay uses we could play hockey in Jamaca.

I don't understand why we can't go into July either, I guess the offseason would be less than 2 months?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Would be hell for Local TV Networks too. Most local networks are fox sports net and they carry both the local baseball team, and hockey team.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
go kim johnsson said:
I don't understand why we can go into July either, I guess the offseason would be less than 2 months?

I'll assume you mean "can't" instead of "can". Contracts expire on July 1st. Let's just say Philly and the Wings are in the Finals that start on July 3rd, and other teams are already making personnel moves for the following season. Like I said in my first post, perhaps they could just agree that contracts extend to July 15th or something for this season only.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Yup, this is the solution. But here's the key:

We don't stop. We keep right on going until *next April*. That's right, a 150 game Super Season, to really separate the men from the boys. Then we award the winner the 04-06 Stanley Cup.

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
PecaFan said:
Yup, this is the solution. But here's the key:

We don't stop. We keep right on going until *next April*. That's right, a 150 game Super Season, to really separate the men from the boys. Then we award the winner the 04-06 Stanley Cup.
:lol: :eek: :lol: :yo:

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
From memory, Chelios actually said the players would be willing to do something to this effect in one of his more recent interviews.......

I don't see it as impossible. It'd only be 2 or 4 teams needing to play at that stage & you'd hope they could still sell out the semi's and the finals!!! It'd probably be a kind of fun road trip if they were near here and the kids were out of school!!!

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
The season would have gone into July in 1995 had the Finals not ended so abruptly. I beleive game 4 of that series was on June 28th.

Most likely, whatever deal they come up with, regular seasons will be shorter than 82 games. There's no reason why they couldn't start next season the 4th week of October or 1st week of November and have it end at the normal time.

Dat1guy

Jul 17, 2004
Around the corner
Daryl "Razor" Reaugh, former NHL goaltender and current Dallas Stars color commentator, actually thinks the NHL would be better off playing the season in the summer. His main rationale, is that it would not have to compete head-to-head with the other winter sports in the USA.

You can read his musings about this here:

www.dallasstars.com/news/razor.jsp

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Brodeur said:
I'll assume you mean "can't" instead of "can". Contracts expire on July 1st. Let's just say Philly and the Wings are in the Finals that start on July 3rd, and other teams are already making personnel moves for the following season. Like I said in my first post, perhaps they could just agree that contracts extend to July 15th or something for this season only.

That's a given.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
1. players can't play all year round

2. you can't run a season through the summer and then take what, a week?, off before the 05-06 season. Wouldn't make much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->