Is it borderline treason that Giordano and Subban haven't played for Canada?

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Ya title is an exaggeration but should Giordano and Subban have played for Team Canada in 2014 and 2016?

Subban made team Canada in 2014, but only played one game (a 6-0 win against Austria). He has been critized for his decision making and defensive play but, since going to Nashville, I've seen Subban as more of a defensive defenseman than the all-out offense defenseman that we saw in Montreal

Likewise, Giordano is probably the least respected defenseman in the league. Everybody he is paired with in Calgary plays like gold and then struggles when they are moved away from him

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Giordano was a bubble defender for Canada that refused the call too many times for IIHF championships in the spring. I imagine that was counted against him in the selection process. Canada won every tournament without him so it's not like they've missed his presence.

Yeah I know but the point is that if there is a World Cup in 2020, we're just going to go back to the well on a lot of these guys. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Weber is named to the team over Subban

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Subban rightfully made it, the coach didn't like him though.

Gio has never deserved to go. He's a #1 defensemen, but never a top 7 Canadian one, at least in Olympic years.

Not sure what's to see here..

Reactions: A91 and The Nuge

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Ya title is an exaggeration but should Giordano and Subban have played for Team Canada in 2014 and 2016?

Subban made team Canada in 2014, but only played one game (a 6-0 win against Austria). He has been critized for his decision making and defensive play but, since going to Nashville, I've seen Subban as more of a defensive defenseman than the all-out offense defenseman that we saw in Montreal

Likewise, Giordano is probably the least respected defenseman in the league. Everybody he is paired with in Calgary plays like gold and then struggles when they are moved away from him

Only Brodie and Hamilton have, and eye test and WOWY speaking many have a valid argument that Brodie actually carried Gio those seasons rather than Gio carrying him. Hamilton yeah has done a lot worse without Gio than with him, but he's still a great Dman on his own accord.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Look at the list of guys we have put on the teams instead of those two. I have no complaints when you look at the results. Who would Giordano have replaced in 2014 for example? Hamhuis or Bouwmeester are candidates, but they were brought along to be shut down defensemen and filled that role better than Giordano would have. In 2014 Keith, Weber, Doughty and Pietrangelo were all better.

It isn't treason by any means. Yes, Subban and Gio are great defenders. But when you are picking from the deepest crop of blueliners in the world, good players will get left home. It isn't always about who is "best", it's about who the management thinks will be the best team.

Reactions: grapes55

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Treason of the highest order, unconstitutional, and un-American.

Maybe if they were actually good at hockey they'd make the cut. And pledge an oath to protect maple syrup.

Enemies of the state.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah I know but the point is that if there is a World Cup in 2020, we're just going to go back to the well on a lot of these guys. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Weber is named to the team over Subban
If they "go back to the well" on guys, it will be because they have been proven winners. Plus only a couple of them will be "too old" by 2020. Doughty, Pietrangelo, Vlasic, and Muzzin will likely all be back, and any of Keith, Burns, and Weber could also be if their games don't fall off a cliff. Giordano is too old to start making Team Canada now. They have other old guys in the fold. Subban likely makes it next time though.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Giordano was a bubble defender for Canada that refused the call too many times for IIHF championships in the spring. I imagine that was counted against him in the selection process. Canada won every tournament without him so it's not like they've missed his presence.
Yeah, my understanding for Giordano (and Brodie) is that they were both asked to play at the World Championships, both declined for different reasons, and it was indicated that if they declined they would be long shots for the World Cup in the fall.

In 2014, Gio definitely should've been on team Canada over Hamhuis and JBo, as he was easily better than both at the time, and arguably for a couple of years prior.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Subban isn't very well liked by the Hockey Canada brass. The perception of him is that he doesn't conduct himself like a good ol' Canadian boy.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
They won both tournaments without losing (2014 team didn't even give up a goal in SF/Final).

What is there to criticize? :laugh:

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
team canada takes guys that create a team. they have a winning history. if these guys deserved to make the team they would have.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Subban rightfully made it, the coach didn't like him though.

Gio has never deserved to go. He's a #1 defensemen, but never a top 7 Canadian one, at least in Olympic years.

Not sure what's to see here..

This is bang on. Gio is a very good dman, but simply being a #1 dman doesn’t get you on team Canada. Our defense is too deep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->