Is Frank Mir the biggest disappointment in MMA?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Seems around these parts Fedor has to be up there for "not fighting top talent" during his incredible run from 2000-2009 (which he was partly guilty of 2007-2009, though even then he fought Arlovski, and a Brett Rogers that was fresh off an Arlovski win). Otherwise I think it's hilarious though, as people are now starting to talk about Miocic being the HW GOAT. Sure, the UFC HW GOAT, but he has a lot of work to do before he even has a sniff at the run Fedor put together.

I think Penn and Mir are good picks for this discussion for sure. Maybe Sakuraba for absolutely wrecking himself and not traveling to North America.

If you think about conduct outside of fighting, Jones & numerous other athletes have to be considered.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Jones? What would he have proven over the last 2 years? He can beat the same guys multiple times? LHW and HW are terrible divisions, ATM. Unlike the Mir/Fedor days. Say what you want about Somwnof Fedor opponents but they're not as weak as the current HWs... when beating .500, 1 dimensional Mark Hunt is a "good" win.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
No, he is not. I truly believe had the motorcycle accident not happened, he would have held the belt for a few years.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Tim Sylvia could be a candidate for this discussion.

Also, most TUF winners (not their fault though, really).

And, Sokoudjou.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Uriah Faber says hi.
Nah. If anything, I he overperformed (34-10, never submitted, and finished 3 times in 13 years) a given that his standup was mediocre, and he was never a top tier wrestler. I think people lose sight of this since he is such a legit likable guy and made a great posterboy for the WEC/UFC.

And, Sokoudjou.
Oof, that hype train was out of control after the Arona and Lil Nog KOs. I can't recall, but I was probably all aboard too. :help:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Tim Sylvia could be a candidate for this discussion.

Also, most TUF winners (not their fault though, really).

And, Sokoudjou.

What exactly were you expecting out of Tim Sylvia?

He's a big guy and..... that's it

Considering his lack of actual athleticism, I think an argument could be made that Sylvia overachieved

Otherwise, I nominate Bob Sapp

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I agree, Sylvia was one of the biggest over achievers. Especially considering his weight and conditioning issues.

Maybe he meant Thiago Silva?? I'd say he's an underachiever

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
What exactly were you expecting out of Tim Sylvia?

He's a big guy and..... that's it

Considering his lack of actual athleticism, I think an argument could be made that Sylvia overachieved

I agree, Sylvia was one of the biggest over achievers. Especially considering his weight and conditioning issues.

Maybe he meant Thiago Silva?? I'd say he's an underachiever

ufc3907_07.jpg

He wasn't always a mess. Just what seemed to be an issue of self discipline.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
This is a curious one. He was a hunk of roided up muscle who never seemed to really take the craft all that seriously and was in it for the freak-show pay days that could only occur in Japan. Sure he had those two wins against Hoost in 2002, but in his first fight against a legit top end mixed martial artist, it was clear he was out of his depth in the sport. Did you really have expectations that he would be anything more than the video game character he turned out to be?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Yeah definitely. But to go from that to a fat mess was pretty disappointing to see in a pro athlete.

I think my argument is that Sylvia wouldn't have been a pro athlete to begin with if it weren't for the PEDs. Or at least not one that reached the heights that he did

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I think my argument is that Sylvia wouldn't have been a pro athlete to begin with if it weren't for the PEDs. Or at least not one that reached the heights that he did

Yeah, but the benefit of hindsight is in full effect there. He was a killer and had a super dangerous frame.

Guys like Frye, Coleman, and Kerr all looked unreal at the beginning of their careers too.

As a Canadian, Goodridge was definitely disappointing.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, but the benefit of hindsight is in full effect there. He was a killer and had a super dangerous frame.

Guys like Frye, Coleman, and Kerr all looked unreal at the beginning of their careers too.

As a Canadian, Goodridge was definitely disappointing.

No, Goodridge was just never that good to begin with. Shame he had to keep fighting though. May have prevented CTE if he retired after his last Hero's fight.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Didn't we all expect more?

The motorcycle accident hurt bad. He came back to early and didn't really find his form in till the Hardonk fight. But he never got back the speed and agility he used to have. Plus he has always gone deer in the headlights when he takes a good shot. He and Andrei Arlovski would have been a fun fight circa 04.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
No, Goodridge was just never that good to begin with. Shame he had to keep fighting though. May have prevented CTE if he retired after his last Hero's fight.

Yeah I mean he was disappointing right out of the gates in the early UFC tournaments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad