Is Finland doing the same mistake the swedes usually do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuuhkaTukka

Feb 1, 2006
shawn_kemp said:
Then we're back at square 1 with Sweden vs. Belarus in 2002. :sarcasm:

Anyways, hats off my Finnish friends, you've got the best hockey team in the world (but who knows, maybe every team in Group B is 3 times better? :propeller ). :handclap: :bow:

It is possible, lucky for us hockey fans we are going to find out very soon. :handclap:

Titanium

Oct 20, 2003
Nottinghamshire, Eng
Visit site
Flonaldo said:
Winning doesn't decrease your odds of winning, it increases them. Or you can go tell the boys in Vegas they've been wrong for decades.

In itself, no! But with a packed schedule, the winning teams may have expended too much energy! You did recover it with your comments in Finland's energy expenditure, but that Vegas comment is rather unnecessary since surely no-one here will argue that winners have a lower chance of winning in the future if you ignore all other factors (such as energy expenditure)!

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
There must be some God or something behind Finnish team...they are better than in Nagano`98 or World Cup 2004...

Selanne has been lot better than in WC`04!

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
shawn_kemp said:
... at some point Finland will probably lose.

Tuesday suits fine.
After that we better win again.

:)

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if Backstrom
gets a chance to play in the net against GER
and our 2nd and 3rd lines would be a little mixed
and used more in PP.

Our 2nd & 3rd lines should start producing a little
more. The 2nd started the tournament nicely but
has slowed down a bit, whereas the 3rd line has
looked a little sharper than in the beginnig in the
last too games.

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
ShaneDoan said:
There must be some God or something behind Finnish team...they are better than in Nagano`98 or World Cup 2004...

Selanne has been lot better than in WC`04!

Agreed, Selänne's better than he's been in over a decade. And best of all is that he's not just waiting for the puck and acting like his usual lazy self (which he's been criticized for years), but instead he's fighting for the puck, checking, defending and really putting a good effort. Definitely not surprised anymore that he's doing so well in Anaheim this year too.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Swedes hating on the Fins , come on guys it's obivious . The Fins allowed only 2 goals so far while the US have trouble scoring .

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
I feel depressed if Finns lose to Usa...in SLC 2002 i undestand it, but now it is impossible!

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I don't think winning in round robin has much to do with losing in the important games. If a team is determinated to win and well prepared for the game, they'll make a good performance when it counts too. Respecting the opponent is the key thing here imo.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
Titanium said:
But with a packed schedule, the winning teams may have expended too much energy!

Finland has already won the group thanks to the Canada win, which means the team can take it as easy against the Germans as they want and basically use the game as practice.

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
blacklabel said:
Hopefully Team Finland isn't as ignorant and arrogant as you are.

Im sorry, but i am Finn too...in SLC Finns were not at in best, but now they are really refueled and fighting package...i will cry if they lose to USA. Finns have had great moments in hockey, but this tournament could be ultimatum celebration!!!

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
ShaneDoan said:
Im sorry, but i am Finn too...in SLC Finns were not at in best, but now they are really refueled and fighting package...i will cry if they lose to USA. Finns have had great moments in hockey, but this tournament could be ultimatum celebration!!!
I will be very dissapointed too if we lose the game, but it's not impossible as you said.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
I would imagine that most teams will take it fairly easy and save energy on Tuesday. The one exception however could be Canada and the Czech Republic. I would guess that there is a lot of pressure on the Canadians to finally score and beat a big 7 team, before the qf. If they bow to that pressure and go at full throttle, it just may come back and haunt them on Wednesday.

khy206

Nov 26, 2005
They may lose in the quarter. But it doesn't mean winning at the group stage is a mistake. It's is just the nature of one game elimination tournament. Do you guys really think Belarus would beat Sweden in 7 game series in 2002?

Flonaldo

Titanium said:
In itself, no! But with a packed schedule, the winning teams may have expended too much energy! You did recover it with your comments in Finland's energy expenditure, but that Vegas comment is rather unnecessary since surely no-one here will argue that winners have a lower chance of winning in the future if you ignore all other factors (such as energy expenditure)!
Actually a ton of people refer to "statistical losses". That is if you have ten-game winning streak going on you're "bound" to lose sooner or later. Which of course is true but those ten wins make it more likely that you're gonna win the 11th game. I know a lot of people who've spent a lot of money betting on those underdogs, waiting for those elusive "statistical losses".

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
I don't really buy the exhausted arguement. We've got Germany on tuesday and I'd expect them to conserve energy once the game is in the bag, by playing Norrena, by playing the bottom lines a lot etc.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
TK79 said:
Hater.. When's the last time Sweden finnished above Finland in a best on best tournament? I think you have to go back 10 years to the 1996 World Cup..

Salt Lake, 2002.
Both out in quarters, but Sweden had a better round-robin and were thus "ranked" ahead of Finland.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Salt Lake, 2002.
Both out in quarters, but Sweden had a better round-robin and were thus "ranked" ahead of Finland.

But Finland lost to Canada in the quarters, while Sweden lost to Belarus.. And if both teams lost in the quarters, I don't think you can really say that one finished above the other..

GPF

US Bandwagon
Oct 22, 2004
Barcelona, Spain
Cry as long as you want to ... they WILL loose. Thats how things go in such a tourney. Enchanting the masses in the Qualyfining and then die without a sound when it comes down to all or nothing

Nothing new!!!

but I hope at least one of the surprising teams of Slovakia and Finland will move on

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
TK79 said:
But Finland lost to Canada in the quarters, while Sweden lost to Belarus.. And if both teams lost in the quarters, I don't think you can really say that one finished above the other..

In WC`96 Swedes definitely were better than us...in SLC 2002 I think Swedes were very good also, but they underrated Belarus. And Salo wasnt anymore good as in back in early 90`s...Lundqvist must be lot better now than Salo in 2002.

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
GPF said:
Cry as long as you want to ... they WILL loose. Thats how things go in such a tourney. Enchanting the masses in the Qualyfining and then die without a sound when it comes down to all or nothing

Nothing new!!!

but I hope at least one of the surprising teams of Slovakia and Finland will move on

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that Finland is fighting for medals in this tournament, just look at their track record from the last 10 years or so. The only surprise so far has been Canada not playing to their standards, as for the other wins Finland has taken, 2 wins against easy opponents and only one against a top7 opponent; Czech, who played a rather poor game also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->