Is Finland doing the same mistake the swedes usually do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

Finland has been dominating in group stage winning all their matches against some world class opponents. But the truth is that the group stage means nothing, you just need to qualify. Sweden has done that mistake in olympics 2002 and world cup 2004. We have been dominating the groupstage without losing. But despite superb group play, we always been knocked out in quarters against a team that done absymal.

I hate to say it, but the losses Canada, Czech Rep and USA have suffered so far means nothing. They will go far in the medal round regardless.

My prediction is that USA upset Finland in the quarters. I don't say that because I would be hating on Finland, but I have sadly experienced those situations many times with sweden :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

SChan*

Flonaldo said:
Ugh. What mistake is that? You didn't seem to specify it in your lengthy dribble of a post. Playing well?

I am just saying that Canadians, Americans and Czechs always raise their game when it matters.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Finland is going to beat the US in the quarterfinals without much difficulty, and I think they have what it takes to go to the finals.

I won't say that. Elemination games sure are different. Anything can happen.

SChan*

GermanGirl said:
I won't say that. Elemination games sure are different. Anything can happen.

exactly. And that team who loses a lot usually starts to get the breaks.

Yes it's unfair, but true.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Sweden choke because they have no discipline, fail to build a team defence and because they try to play an inefficient style that is technically above their abilities. And alot of their players are slow as molasses.

Finland is quite the opposite. They are not making any mistakes at all, they are only playing well.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
so u say it's a mistake to win???? :confused:

so what should they do play worse so they lose and have a chance at gold???

us could beat finns, but they can't score. and finns have great team D.
they outplayed czechs and canada, should outplay usa.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
I don't think the Finns are making a mistake by playing well, but all teams should be concerned about the nature of this tournament. You just can't play at full throttle in every game in this tournament. There are too many matches in too short a time for that, and if your stars are not well-rested by the knockout stages, there is a price to pay.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Riddarn said:
Sweden choke because they have no discipline, fail to build a team defence and because they try to play an inefficient style that is technically above their abilities. And alot of their players are slow as molasses.
I think Canada beats the Swedes on slowness. See, we win again.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Riddarn said:

I don't think that applies this time. BÃ…G will play classic Swedish defence-first hockey. We are not talking Hardy here.

SChan*

Flonaldo said:
And Finland's mistake so far is?

Wasting too much energy? The schedule is very tight. My way of logic is that when you play well over a good period of time and meet an opponent that is playing bad over a period, tables usually turns in one game. The upset game.

Look, I am not hating on Finland or something, I am just warning you guys!

Frozen

Aug 23, 2004
Flonaldo said:
And Finland's mistake so far is?
Might be nothing and even more so in the rink, but if they walk to the USA match with too good feeling it might backfire. That's what I would be afraid at least. :dunno:

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
SectionX said:
Finland has been dominating in group stage winning all their matches against some world class opponents. But the truth is that the group stage means nothing, you just need to qualify. Sweden has done that mistake in olympics 2002 and world cup 2004. We have been dominating the groupstage without losing. But despite superb group play, we always been knocked out in quarters against a team that done absymal.

I hate to say it, but the losses Canada, Czech Rep and USA have suffered so far means nothing. They will go far in the medal round regardless.

My prediction is that USA upset Finland in the quarters. I don't say that because I would be hating on Finland, but I have sadly experienced those situations many times with sweden :cry:
First off I wouldn't say Sweden dominated in the 04 WC.

Secondly, I can see your point and I would not be surprised to see Finland lose to team USA. That may very well be the game in which our goalie once again screwes up.

shawn_kemp*

I was talking with my dad about today's games earlier (my dad is Czech and has been watching only International hockey since the mid 60's), and we agreed that Finland will very likely be upset in the QF, and if they don't, they won't get past the SF.

In today's hockey you can't go unbeaten in a best on best tourney, it's impossible, unless you're Canada in the Canada/World Cup.

I really hope I'm wrong because I think Finland has the best team and deserves to win it all at this point, but just like Sweden in 2002, or Russia in 1998, at some point Finland will probably lose.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
shawn_kemp said:
I was talking with my dad about today's games earlier (my dad is Czech and has been watching only International hockey since the mid 60's), and we agreed that Finland will very likely be upset in the QF, and if they don't, they won't get past the SF.

In today's hockey you can't go unbeaten in a best on best tourney, it's impossible, unless you're Canada in the Canada/World Cup.

I really hope I'm wrong because I think Finland has the best team and deserves to win it all at this point, but just like Sweden in 2002, or Russia in 1998, at some point Finland will probably lose.
Hopefully that's against Germany. ;)

RuuhkaTukka

Feb 1, 2006
I hope that doesn´t happen. But I am confident about our team. They have good defence and goaltending and some offencive punch. I guess it´s all about respect and preparation. You gotta respect every team you face and when you respect you prepare. Your point about saving energy is a valid one. I think Finland has played well in the beginning of games because they want to save energy. They try to strike early and after that go to "sleep" mode.

But then again anything can happen. Maby the Swiss are going to play their herts out and drop Sweden or whom ever they face in the playoffs. :propeller

Flonaldo

shawn_kemp said:
Winning doesn't decrease your odds of winning, it increases them. Or you can go tell the boys in Vegas they've been wrong for decades.

Finland cruised thru the Swiss and Italy. Didn't really have to expand that much energy against the Czechs. A hard-fought win today but playing time was distributed as evenly as it's possible.

shawn_kemp*

Flonaldo said:
Winning doesn't decrease your odds of winning, it increases them.

Then we're back at square 1 with Sweden vs. Belarus in 2002. :sarcasm:

Anyways, hats off my Finnish friends, you've got the best hockey team in the world (but who knows, maybe every team in Group B is 3 times better? :propeller ). :handclap: :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->