Is Eric Lindros the most jacked and skilled NHL player of all time?

Nightmare1000

May 1, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
When I see pictures of prime Eric Lindros it amazes me how great of a skater he was and his speed for how big he was. There is very few NHL players I can think of that look more like football players than hockey players and Eric Lindros is definitely the most skilled out of them. It would be insane to see how more athletic he would be coming up today with the improved training and equipment. Old guys like Thornton who have slowed down are still hard to knock off the puck even today. With the way the NHL rules are today I don’t anyone would be stopping a prime Eric Lindros. He is a guy that would probably transition to today’s hockey better than any former legend besides Lemieux from when he played due his size and athleticism. Why aren’t we seeing players like him in today’s hockey when hockey players are supposed to be getting bigger and more athletic.

OldManGroin

Mar 9, 2018
When I see pictures of prime Eric Lindros it amazes me how great of a skater he was and his speed for how big he was. There is very few NHL players I can think of that look more like football players than hockey players and Eric Lindros is definitely the most skilled out of them. It would be insane to see how more athletic he would be coming up today with the improved training and equipment. Old guys like Thornton who have slowed down are still hard to knock off the puck even today. With the way the NHL rules are today I don’t anyone would be stopping a prime Eric Lindros. He is a guy that would probably transition to today’s hockey better than any former legend besides Lemieux from when he played due his size and athleticism. Why aren’t we seeing players like him in today’s hockey when hockey players are supposed to be getting bigger and more athletic.

Apparently according to rumours comming out of Muskoka lake, he was built in a lab and if he had to be tested, his urine could melt plutonium.

Hell of a hockey player though.

Reactions: Fixxer

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
He was great, even though I hate his on ice behaviour, but most jacked? I don't know. I wouldn't sign that. There were plenty of freakish players in the NHL over the course of it's existence. I'm not even sure he has a lot on guys Brind'amour, Stevens or Pronger. And these are just contemporaries.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
I met pronger a long time ago . He looked like a typical tall skinny person wouldn't think that he's 225.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think it might be possible to argue that Lindros had a particular combination of size, speed, physicality, and skill that nobody could exceed in ALL components simultaneously. However, IMO, there have been several players who were also extremely strong physically, while being far more skilled and therefore far more impressive.

I'd guess that if Lindros had been able to stay at/near his peak longer, he'd be roughly in the Forsberg/Ovi territory as a generational player with an impressive physicality component.

But to me, Jagr is the real (underrated) physical freak. He didn't use his strength to hit, but he was unrivaled in being able to do Gretzky-like things while having whole defenses literally hanging on his big rear end.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Lindros was a beast. Not sure we will see a player with his combination of skill, soft hands and strength ever again, especially in today's NHL which is all about finesse and speed.

NoIKkll.jpg

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Jiri Slegr was a weights freak on the Penguins back in 98 or so. He was a freak.

And he was the first guy to tell you he was like a child compared to Jagr.

Lindros played more physical, but Jagr was stronger IMO. And doubly so from the waist down, his thighs were huuuueeee (still are).

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006
Lindros was big and skilled but Pavel Bure was pound for pound the strongest and most explosive athlete of that era. Therefore he would get my vote as the player most likely to succeed in today's nhl.

Reactions: ehhedler

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Sure he had great combination size and skill, but Jacked? A good physique is hardly a unique thing, even in the good old days. Bobby Hull says hi.

Hull.jpg

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Big Eric was one of, if not the most, jacked and skilled player ever. Bobby Hull is right up there, too.

Obviously a lot of roided up 90's bodybuilder type tough guys were bigger and badder, but they didn't possess the skill.

Last edited by a moderator:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If I understand the point of the thread, then yes Lindros was the biggest and strongest of players who were skilled enough to be superstars. I remember reading a teammate say that it was very easy for Lindros to put on muscle so he had to really limit his lifting. I heard the same thing about Stevens.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
There are probably 100 players with more skill than Lindros had. What made him stand out was the fact that he was huge and could still skate, pass and do a lot of stuff only smaller more agile players could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad