Speculation: Is Edmonton a contender for both Maroon and Kane this offseason? Can they afford both?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They aren't adding a top 4 RD and a top 6 winger without trading salary as well. Your post is wrong because you only talk about the new money coming in without considering the possible money going out by trading someone.

Which is why I said that Sekera/Russel or Lucic has to go. All of our bad contracts have NMC's. We shouldn't be trading RNH or Klefbom, that's like robbing Peter to pay Paul. There will be money going out in trades but it might not be enough to properly fill the teams holes. In my opinion we build around Mcdavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse. That leaves us with only JP, Yamamoto, Benson, Bear, Benning and our 1st as trade pieces with value and you only trade those if the trade is a clear win for the long term.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Signing Kane is a horrible idea, we don't have the cap space to gamble on a guy like that. Trading Nuge for Hoffman could be smart, we need a shooter with speed and Hoffman fits the bill. I'd prefer to sign Grabner over Kane if we have to sign anyone, but I think someone overpays for him this summer too. Imagine Hoffman-McDavid-Grabner as a line.

Hoffman - McDavid - Grabner
Lucic - Draisaitl - Pulujarvi
Aberg - Strome - Slepyshev/Rattie/Yamamoto
Caggiula - Khaira - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Bear/Benning

Ideally we get a 2nd pair RD to bump Russell/Sekera down, but that's probably too much money tied up in a 3rd pair. Those NTC are gonna kill us. We were warned, ha ha.
Kane is a huge chance, just saying having two speedy lw with two speedy centers could be good for the team. But lucic has to go for it to work.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Kane is a huge chance, just saying having two speedy lw with two speedy centers could be good for the team. But lucic has to go for it to work.
Yeah, Lucic's salary prevents us from doing a lot. And he isn't going anywhere. Best we can hope for is a bounce back season. I don't anticipate him to be as awful next year as he has been this year.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Which is why I said that Sekera/Russel or Lucic has to go. All of our bad contracts have NMC's. We shouldn't be trading RNH or Klefbom, that's like robbing Peter to pay Paul. There will be money going out in trades but it might not be enough to properly fill the teams holes. In my opinion we build around Mcdavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse. That leaves us with only JP, Yamamoto, Benson, Bear, Benning and our 1st as trade pieces with value and you only trade those if the trade is a clear win for the long term.
What should happen and what will happen are different things sadly. Lucic and Russell won't be asked to waive (Russell wouldn't anyway, he wants to be in Alberta). Sekera wouldn't have much demand now anyway and it would be selling low on him if we were as well. But we need to make some changes somewhere, including bringing in at least one winger who is a shooter, and ideally a RD who can play the powerplay effectively. That's two key parts we need, and we'll be trading from positions of positinal strength to fill them - that's left defense and centre. On left D, we can't move the two you mentioned, and I think Chiarelli would rather keep Nurse than Klefbom. I fear he trades Klefbom for cheap due to his performance this year. Trading Nuge now would be selling high though, which is why, unless he racks of 10 goals beside McDavid before the year is out, I expect him to be moved this summer. Sad but true.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Yeah, Lucic's salary prevents us from doing a lot. And he isn't going anywhere. Best we can hope for is a bounce back season. I don't anticipate him to be as awful next year as he has been this year.
He looked really out of shape, either that or EDM players are a lot faster then he is. If thats the case then he needs to just go to the net and cause chaos or play behind the net and use his big body to control down low. Only thing is he is slow to return to the play. I just dont remember him being this slow for boston. But lets be honest boston was a slow team.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What should happen and what will happen are different things sadly. Lucic and Russell won't be asked to waive (Russell wouldn't anyway, he wants to be in Alberta). Sekera wouldn't have much demand now anyway and it would be selling low on him if we were as well. But we need to make some changes somewhere, including bringing in at least one winger who is a shooter, and ideally a RD who can play the powerplay effectively. That's two key parts we need, and we'll be trading from positions of positinal strength to fill them - that's left defense and centre. On left D, we can't move the two you mentioned, and I think Chiarelli would rather keep Nurse than Klefbom. I fear he trades Klefbom for cheap due to his performance this year. Trading Nuge now would be selling high though, which is why, unless he racks of 10 goals beside McDavid before the year is out, I expect him to be moved this summer. Sad but true.

I think who we trade depends on who we end up drafting. If we draft 1st overall then Klefbom gets traded for a winger, if we draft a 2nd or 3rd, then RNH gets traded for a RD, if the pick is between 4 and 10 then it will get packaged with one of those 2 for an upgrade.

Reactions: TrentonF

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He looked really out of shape, either that or EDM players are a lot faster then he is. If thats the case then he needs to just go to the net and cause chaos or play behind the net and use his big body to control down low. Only thing is he is slow to return to the play. I just dont remember him being this slow for boston. But lets be honest boston was a slow team.
He's not out of shape, the guy is a machine in the gym, but he admitted after Christmas that he needs to make huge changes to his workout routine in order to cut some weight and increase his speed. It isn't that he's out of shape, he's just focussed too much on adding strength and muscle capacity when he should have been trimming down to work on his speed and agility. He's still got the hands to be a good player if he can increase his speed, even to the point where he is just average speed instead of slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->