Speculation: Is Edmonton a contender for both Maroon and Kane this offseason? Can they afford both?

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Don't the oilers have like $150 million tied up in centres going into next year? And don't they have a centre they can't get to stop playing on McDavids wing?

Oilers are a mess they can't even afford to keep the good wingers they had (Eberle/Hall)

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Don't the oilers have like $150 million tied up in centres going into next year? And don't they have a centre they can't get to stop playing on McDavids wing?

Oilers are a mess they can't even afford to keep the good wingers they had (Eberle/Hall)

The Oilers aren't even close to being a "mess" at least financially. They have some bad contracts coming off the books like the 3.5 mil for Mark Fayne, and with the cap going up, the Oilers should be fine despite having to now pay McDavid the moon and the stars and not just Leon.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Not really . At the start of 2019 both Russell and Sekera have limited NTC's A list of 10 teams for Russell and 15 teams for Sekera but that is still a year + away and if a player really don't want to go the can put teams on their list that are stocked on D or are in cap hell .

I also see posting that Edmonton had space this year which really isn't true 8.6 million with no bonuses McDavid will hit all of his there's 2.3 million gone , then there's Nurse , Puljujarvi + Yamamoto started the year in Edmonton . No one knew how these players would do and by the time we knew it was already too late . Last thing the Oilers needed was to have bonus overs . Best case is Lucic gets a career ending injury ... For the team , not that i want any player injured
They are still on for a few years though. And nurse will need a new contract too. Only way Edmonton can get better is via trade or drafting Imo.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
If their offseason plan centers around overpaying for more free agent wingers, they're not going to improve

Really? So signing speedy free agent goal scoring RW Michael Grabner won't make the Oilers better, especially since he fills a big need here? Also Nuge may indeed be traded for another winger as Chia has made it clear he doesn't want to pay 6 mil/per to a centre that will play behind McDavid and Leon. o_O

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
I think they will try to figure out a way to trade Lucic for an under performing and a bit overpayed hopefully for a bit shorter term.
Then sign kovy for 1 to 2 yrs
And maroon for like 2.5 for 2 or 3 yrs

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Would trading rnh for hoffman and signing kane. That way both mcdavid and kane have a legit lw to play on thier lines be a good idea

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Edmonton is now the NHL version of the boy who called wolf.

Wolf = Playoffs.

I can't take them seriously anymore unless they truly are up in the finals and are up in the dying minutes of the final winner take all game.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Also chia needs to find a way to lose Lucic or get him producing again. Hopefully pool party will be ready to step it up a notch or two.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
I think only way Oilers get Kane is if they can somehow unload Lucic. Since the probability of that is nil I’ll continue to rub my hands together in hopes of my hairline reappearing

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Kane might be affordable. It will be interesting to see what the market is like. Certainly there are still plenty of GMs who wont touch him, so maybe a deal could be had.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Although, I do think a good pick-up for Edmonton would be Ondrej Palat. Tampa can almost not fit him in their top six and is a very talented player.

Reactions: TrentonF

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Kane might be affordable. It will be interesting to see what the market is like. Certainly there are still plenty of GMs who wont touch him, so maybe a deal could be had.
KANE did not see very much interest at trade deadline. His stock may not be as high as people think or he does for that matter. His off and on ice issues, wethe fan bases want to admit or not, have directly effected his value. I think he would love to play on mcjessus's wing

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Is it possible Edmonton gets both this offseason? They seem like they'd be the perfect wingers for McDavid.

Pretty solid top 6 imo.
Maroon - McDavid - Kane
RNH - Drai - Pulji

team needs more character leadership... not less

spend what little money there is in the budget to bring in some quality experienced veterns.

as expensive at the contract is... a guy like brent seabrook would help... and I don't know if los angeles would want a lucic/dustin brown trade but that would help Edmonton too

it might require taking on more money... but a lucic for brown deal and a sekera for seabrook deal is what Edmonton should be thinking about

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo

wait till they need to pay Dahlin franchise defenseman $$$$.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If that LOSER T-Mac is still there, I bet Kane's new buddy Joe Thornton tells him to STFA from Edmonton.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
No chance for Kane. Maroon depends on Cap. I posted on Oilers boards that if the following were to happen:

1) Cap Doesn't Go Up
2) Nurse and Strome sign for combined 7m
3) Yamamoto and Bear both make the team on their rookie deals.

That would leave 4.6m in cap space with 2 forward spots to fill, and factoring in the potential of bonuses. That said, thankfully it sounds like the cap should get a nice raise.

It really is amazing how bad Chia has the cap situation screwed up. I'm not even made about the Connor or Drai deals (although we all know Drai should have been a million cheaper).

I bet Nurse signs the same deal that Klef and Larsson got. You can't have 5 dmen making 4m+ if none of them are a #1! Something has to give.
1.333m hit for the next 3 years because of the Pouliot buyout? Why did that have to happen this year again?
Lucic is just... I think the plus side is he should at least be slightly more productive next year. Tough to be worse...

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I'm thinking Kane is locked up before FA with the Sharks. He seems to be fitting in and the leadership is there to support him.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
We have lots this year, Chia just decided to save it like some Scrooge. Next season we’re ****ed unless the cap goes to 85 million and Lucic, Sekera and Russel waive their NMC’s....

This post is true and then goes to completely false. Look up the actual numbers, then vent.

Reactions: TrentonF

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This post is true and then goes to completely false. Look up the actual numbers, then vent.

I have. Let's say the cap goes up to 82 million. We will have 20 million in cap space, now minus 3 million for Mcdavid's ELC bonus and whatever bonus JP hits(I don't think he will hit nay), now we're down to 17 million. Now you have to resign Strome, Nurse, Benning and Slepyshev, that should take about 9 million. Now there's 8 million left. Yamamoto and the 2018 1st will probably make the team, now you're down to 6 million. With that 6 million you need to get a top 4 RD and a top 6 winger. Explain how my post is false?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Due to the Oilers' cap constraints I think they will have to look internally to fill those winger spots. Whether it be Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Benson, Rattie, etc. Can't afford to overpay more free agents (should have learned from the Lucic signing)

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Id be floored in Kane signed anywhere in Canada outside of Vancouver. But I'm sure hes tired of losing.

IMO he gonna re-sign in SJ.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I have. Let's say the cap goes up to 82 million. We will have 20 million in cap space, now minus 3 million for Mcdavid's ELC bonus and whatever bonus JP hits(I don't think he will hit nay), now we're down to 17 million. Now you have to resign Strome, Nurse, Benning and Slepyshev, that should take about 9 million. Now there's 8 million left. Yamamoto and the 2018 1st will probably make the team, now you're down to 6 million. With that 6 million you need to get a top 4 RD and a top 6 winger. Explain how my post is false?
They aren't adding a top 4 RD and a top 6 winger without trading salary as well. Your post is wrong because you only talk about the new money coming in without considering the possible money going out by trading someone.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Due to the Oilers' cap constraints I think they will have to look internally to fill those winger spots. Whether it be Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Benson, Rattie, etc. Can't afford to overpay more free agents (should have learned from the Lucic signing)
I don't think Chiarelli will be looking to fill those holes with free agents. I think he's going to try to make some trades from our positions of strength (LD, 1st round picks, D prospects), to fill those weaknesses. That's a scary thought in itself of course.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Would trading rnh for hoffman and signing kane. That way both mcdavid and kane have a legit lw to play on thier lines be a good idea
Signing Kane is a horrible idea, we don't have the cap space to gamble on a guy like that. Trading Nuge for Hoffman could be smart, we need a shooter with speed and Hoffman fits the bill. I'd prefer to sign Grabner over Kane if we have to sign anyone, but I think someone overpays for him this summer too. Imagine Hoffman-McDavid-Grabner as a line.

Hoffman - McDavid - Grabner
Lucic - Draisaitl - Pulujarvi
Aberg - Strome - Slepyshev/Rattie/Yamamoto
Caggiula - Khaira - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Bear/Benning

Ideally we get a 2nd pair RD to bump Russell/Sekera down, but that's probably too much money tied up in a 3rd pair. Those NTC are gonna kill us. We were warned, ha ha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad