Speculation: Is Edmonton a contender for both Maroon and Kane this offseason? Can they afford both?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
The Oilers are barely candidates for either of them, let alone both. Maroon could possibly be afforded but not if he takes the highest bid. Kane is a pipe dream unless every team is so terrified by his “interesting” personality that he goes cheap.

P.s. I know its irresistible given how many high draft picks we’ve been gifted (and McJesus himself), but other fans should at least have a little sympathy. Outside of maybe the Cleveland Browns, can you think of a fan base has has suffered through a longer time period of garbage performance, thoroughly embarrassing management, and sorrowful player losses/trades than the Oilers? Tip the hat and award a Purple Heart for supporting this tire fire.

Reactions: OldManGroin

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Funny how some people from the Calgary site post how bad Edmonton has been this year and yet I see Calgary doing sweet f all but yet they are so much better then Edmonton .but we all know with their line up they will be power houses in the playoff hey .lol enjoy your golf games this season Calgary you suck

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I could see us bring in Kane if we somehow ditched Lucic. I know he's untradeable, but he's got that allergy to his equipment that has been flaring up so he might have to do what is best for his family and hit the LTIR ;)

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I could see us bring in Kane if we somehow ditched Lucic. I know he's untradeable, but he's got that allergy to his equipment that has been flaring up so he might have to do what is best for his family and hit the LTIR ;)

I would think that the NHL would probably take a pretty strong hands in teams trying to do things like that in the future. Unless Lucic loses a limb in an accident, he's a cap problem for the Oilers for the rest of their contract unless they heavily bribe a team to take him.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
I would think that the NHL would probably take a pretty strong hands in teams trying to do things like that in the future. Unless Lucic loses a limb in an accident, he's a cap problem for the Oilers for the rest of their contract unless they heavily bribe a team to take him.

Lucic has Scheuermann's disease though. I'm sure him and Chiarelli had a conversation before signing his contract that he'd go on LTIR if his play dropped off.

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
P.s. I know its irresistible given how many high draft picks we’ve been gifted (and McJesus himself), but other fans should at least have a little sympathy. Outside of maybe the Cleveland Browns, can you think of a fan base has has suffered through a longer time period of garbage performance, thoroughly embarrassing management, and sorrowful player losses/trades than the Oilers? Tip the hat and award a Purple Heart for supporting this tire fire.
I would argue the Toronto Maple Leafs pre Matthews were absolutely terrible. 50 years without a cup appearance and they managed some pretty one sided trades. They had an 11 year period that saw them only make the playoffs once. They lost in game 7 of the 1st round after holding a comfortable lead in the 3rd period

Oilers at least made it to game 7 of round 2 last year and they have arguable the best player in hockey. Knowing Edmontons luck with 1st overalls, Canucks will finish last and the Oilers will be picking Dahlin.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Funny how some people from the Calgary site post how bad Edmonton has been this year and yet I see Calgary doing sweet f all but yet they are so much better then Edmonton .but we all know with their line up they will be power houses in the playoff hey .lol enjoy your golf games this season Calgary you suck

But they are so much better.

And since when does your team not being good stop you from being able to point out that a team in the bottom 5 of the league with multiple bad contracts is a bad team?

Is it only Nashville and TB fans that are allowed to criticize other teams?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Well they let Lupul off for being fat and Hossa for some rash. An actual diagnosed back disorder wouldn't get any pushback from the league imo.

Well except for the fact that what you just said it complete BS, then sure I guess making stuff up is perfectly fine with the league.

And teams just keep other guys on bad deals out of the goodness of their hearts, but a sharp guy like Chiarelli will be way ahead of the other guys on this one and just make that deal go away no problem.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Edmonton needs to focus on putting good prospects in the system in the next 2-3 years and developing them and not chasing UFA retreads... they really blew it with the Hall and Eberle deals and their cap situation is at a precarious spot.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
lucic,russel,sekera are making 15.5 million, for at least another 3 years after this year lol.
Edm is so ****ed cap wise.
I am just wondering if you, along with a number of Oiler haters, can actually do math.
Check out Cap friendly and see where Edmonton is at next year. Tight, but not ****ed as you so eloquently put it.
Cap is going up boys and girls.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I am just wondering if you, along with a number of Oiler haters, can actually do math.
Check out Cap friendly and see where Edmonton is at next year. Tight, but not ****ed as you so eloquently put it.
Cap is going up boys and girls.
lol, you guys are f***ed cause you have shitty players on bad contracts for a long time, and if you want better players its unlikely you get them from FA cause you would have to pay market price or worse.

Reactions: Heart Eater

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
lucic,russel,sekera are making 15.5 million, for at least another 3 years after this year lol.
Edm is so ****ed cap wise.

Not really . At the start of 2019 both Russell and Sekera have limited NTC's A list of 10 teams for Russell and 15 teams for Sekera but that is still a year + away and if a player really don't want to go the can put teams on their list that are stocked on D or are in cap hell .

I also see posting that Edmonton had space this year which really isn't true 8.6 million with no bonuses McDavid will hit all of his there's 2.3 million gone , then there's Nurse , Puljujarvi + Yamamoto started the year in Edmonton . No one knew how these players would do and by the time we knew it was already too late . Last thing the Oilers needed was to have bonus overs . Best case is Lucic gets a career ending injury ... For the team , not that i want any player injured

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH >>> Gaudreau, Monahan, and Backlund

Ok?

So what? It isn't really doing much in terms of on ice results and who was talking about 3 guys (well mainly 2 since RNH is the worst of the 6 players listed.)

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Obviously it’s still early but Kane looks like a solid fit in SJ. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he is resigning there.

Maroon is not what the Oilers need unless he is a bottom player.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
No offense, but Evander would turn down Edmonton far before Edmonton would turn down Evander. The Oilers currently have zero top-6 wingers. They aren’t in a position to turn down Kane.
Remember that time when Edmonton couldn’t be successfull because they only had wingers?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Kane will not sign with Edmonton, it's looking like right now San Jose will sign him to an extension. Maroon, questionable, he might feel bitter about being traded, but I think Maroon could likely sign in St. Louis.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Kane will not sign with Edmonton, it's looking like right now San Jose will sign him to an extension. Maroon, questionable, he might feel bitter about being traded, but I think Maroon could likely sign in St. Louis.

Naaa....Kane will sign with the Oilers. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->