Speculation: Is D or Center more of a need.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Why do the Leafs even have a farm system? They couldn't make the Leafs roster so they're useless anyways. Why are we even drafting prospects? They haven't won a cup yet, they're not worth our draft picks which we can use to trade for players who have won a cup! Like...Carter Rowney!(?) and of course Carl Haglin!

We'll just trade for players who can help us win now, players who haven't won a cup yet don't know how to win it!
Hahaha. Is this a new concept for the Leafs? A farm system? You mean in the last 50+ years of losing they haven't had one? You do realize that there have been better Leaf farm teams than this one and recently right?

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
incase you havent noticed leafs are deep at wing. also incase you havent noticed our coach likes his veteran players over his younger players, thats why leivo and kapanen aren't playing. next season when jvr leaves leivo will be in the lineup no doubt
So they weaken themselves? I mean now a player can now be used because there is no one he has to beat out that is clearly better? If you truly believe the Leafs get better with Leivo in and JVR out youy seriously need to watch another sport.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
No, rather that contract status often plays a major role in determining if a player makes the team or not. Asset management 101.
That's horseshit. If a player was able to definitively take an NHL job he does. Josh Leivo sits in the press box because he can't take an NHL job. No contract status issue there. If Kapanen was better you'd waive Leivo move the magical player that Kapanen is better than into the press box and Kapanen to the lineup. Simple shit man. The contact and waiver nonsense is Kapanen vs Leivo. Period.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
That's horse****. If a player was able to definitively take an NHL job he does. Josh Leivo sits in the press box because he can't take an NHL job. No contract status issue there. If Kapanen was better you'd waive Leivo move the magical player that Kapanen is better than into the press box and Kapanen to the lineup. Simple **** man. The contact and waiver nonsense is Kapanen vs Leivo. Period.
Kadri couldn't make the lineup for years, he's in the NHL now.

But how is that possible you say? I don't know, must be magic.

Reactions: Menzinger and weems

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
That awkward moment when you don't realize Kadri was on pace for 6o+ points again up until his huge dry spell. Notice how has 3 goals in the past 2 games after having barely any in the past 20? The puck luck is coming back to even out his dry spell. He's on pace for 28 goals even with that big dry spell (47 points only though). With puck luck about to come up, I'd predict his scoring total as 30 goals - 25 assists = 55 points. You can't find any 3C around on a contender team that puts up that many points.

I think my biggest argument against what you just said is that every team is built differently.
"You cannot be a contender without an elite #1D" - 16-17 Pens win the Cup without Letang
"You cannot be a contender without an elite 1C or a star 2C" - 16-17 Preds make finals with Johansen (60-65 pt C), Fisher (40 point C).
"
The Leafs? They have areas they need to improve but they'll get their identity soon. Not every contender needs a Malkin as a 2C.

Yeah you’re right. Every team is built differently. For the record, I like Kadri. I just think we can have better C depth.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Depth is the key word. Suppose Bozak and kadri get hurt..or worse Matthews and Kadri. Who slots in? Babcock has said up n down Nylander isnt ready and would prefer not to use Marleau there. So then you have Goat or Miro as our 2 callups.

Could you imagine...Bozak, Goat, Miro and moore as our center lines? Thats why I say at least on D we have better options. Proof? Look now Reilly and Zaits out we are surviving..why? Dermott found his stride..but we have Holl whos leading the Marlies in every category, Lily and Rosen so 3 decent options in th AHL. Far exceeds our depth at center

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Depth is the key word. Suppose Bozak and kadri get hurt..or worse Matthews and Kadri. Who slots in? Babcock has said up n down Nylander isnt ready and would prefer not to use Marleau there. So then you have Goat or Miro as our 2 callups.

Could you imagine...Bozak, Goat, Miro and moore as our center lines? Thats why I say at least on D we have better options. Proof? Look now Reilly and Zaits out we are surviving..why? Dermott found his stride..but we have Holl whos leading the Marlies in every category, Lily and Rosen so 3 decent options in th AHL. Far exceeds our depth at center
If Nylander stays as a winger then our C depth is just Matthews and Kadri for sure. Just because Nylander isn't ready now though doesn't mean he won't be ready next year, or the year after that. How long did it take Giroux to transfer to center? (I legitimately don't know but I'm curious)

Also, you keep bringing up Babcock but he used Nylander as recently as when Matthews went down and he thought he did fine. Just needs to work on the defensive side of the puck as a center and he's already got the offensive potential for it.

I don't think Hainsey isn't going to stay with this team past his contract with the Leafs, it's going to look like it's in trouble again without him I think.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

This is pointless honestly. Take away any team's top 2 centers and suddenly their center depth all looks bad. Using that as a reason to make a trade is dumb

Not to mention he has used nylander at center before and I am sure he would if we were down 2. Marleau as well. Nylander - Marleau - Bozak is better than most teams could do if they lost their top 2 guys

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

You could be right. Although, there's 4 C's though compared to 6 D's, so two injured centres is probably more likely to have an impact on a team compared to a couple of injuries on the blueline. (depending on the injured players)

If Matthews and Kadri were out at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if both Marleau and Nylander move to C and Kapanen and Leivo slot in on the wing. That may prove an exception to what I typed above, but I'd obviously rather not have to find that out.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Ya one game...he asked Nylander where he wanted to go he said center. The following game he put Marleau there..nough said. I trust our triple gold coach's opinion. Defensively Nylander isnt ready. There are times Matthews has small defensive woes..and he is a different level player. Crosby had similar growing pains but again different level and was good enough. Anyway we need 1 center...Orielly would be awesome but i fear the price would be sky high

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Far fetched to say any team...some have better centers or ones closer. I dont follow every team closely enough to say who. I do get your point...but mine is our D depth far surpasses center. 2 huge injuries right now and doing ok. Again Holl is having a monster yr and looked very good in camp. Then we have timmy still. On LHD Rosen..and when healthy Carrick, Dermott, Borgman..all prove to have NHL skill..the best by far is Dermott but wildcard is Borgman because his style is way different than any1

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Ya one game...he asked Nylander where he wanted to go he said center. The following game he put Marleau there..nough said. I trust our triple gold coach's opinion. Defensively Nylander isnt ready. There are times Matthews has small defensive woes..and he is a different level player. Crosby had similar growing pains but again different level and was good enough. Anyway we need 1 center...Orielly would be awesome but i fear the price would be sky high

Do you trust what our triple gold coach said a year ago when he said he eventually sees Nylander as a center? Cause I do.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Re Nylander and centre.

While there’s no guarantees he does make the transition, it’s also well documented that Babcock doesn’t like young players in that position, and Nylander is just a sophomore. Matthews has proven to be the exception to Babcocks rule it seems

Edit:typo

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
He’s 21... personnel decisions are sometimes made on contract type, waiver eligibility, development, etc.

That’s a horrible way to evaluate a player’s readiness.

I wish Leaf haters would take a look at the 2014 draft. Lots of prospects , some picked before Kapanen haven't accomplished as Kapanen in the past three years. Admitting Kapanen has to prove he's a NHLer soon, but so do dozens of other prospects from the 2014 draft.

Reactions: Menzinger

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Me too. They are 1st with several games in hand. Funny thing is Justin Holl leads team in offense

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Ya and he also said not this and maybe not even next
I don't think that means never though. Next year Nylander is 22 and the year after that he's 23. Would people be disappointed if he was full time center at 24?
Nylander already takes a lot of face offs for a winger, he's got to work on stuff we've always known he's got to work on.

Bozak 714 faceoffs 52.4%
Kadri 661 faceoffs 50.4%
Matthews 482 faceoffs 54.6% (Didn't even realize it was getting that high...)
Nylander 366 faceoffs 51.1%

I agree with the person who thinks he ends up as a winger and a center like Zetterberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad