Is Crosby Jewish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonwyck

AE12 said:
Crosby is an Irish name. I doubt that he is Jewish. Besides being Jewish is a religion, not a nationality.

While I agree with you, many people will tell you that Jewish people are their own race... not nationality, race.

CaptainCanada

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lets get some things cleared up:

Chris Chelios is Greek. The most obvious reason is that he has a a cousin whom you guys might know, minor-leaguer/prospect Nikos Tselios.

Other Greeks in the league are Jose Theodore (Half), Dimitrakos, Kostopoulos.

Eric Lindros is not Greek. Neither is Crosby (that one made me laugh).

Nikkowar

Feb 13, 2003
Upper Darby
CaptainCanada said:
Lets get some things cleared up:

Chris Chelios is Greek. The most obvious reason is that he has a a cousin whom you guys might know, minor-leaguer/prospect Nikos Tselios.

Other Greeks in the league are Jose Theodore (Half), Dimitrakos, Kostopoulos.

Eric Lindros is not Greek. Neither is Crosby (that one made me laugh).

I think I heard a Chelios name in the minors. I think it was for the Wolf Pack or something.......I heard about Theodore,but I also heard of Jovo being Greek too....WTF!

CaptainCanada

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No man... if you're greek you either have cut names like Theodore (from like Theodoropoulos or something) or your name ends with akis, akos, poulos, os, is, as. Thats it. Jovanovski doesnt come close.

Other examples... Peter Karmanos, Ted Leonsis, Steve Stavro....

Nikkowar

Feb 13, 2003
Upper Darby
CaptainCanada said:
No man... if you're greek you either have cut names like Theodore (from like Theodoropoulos or something) or your name ends with akis, akos, poulos, os, is, as. Thats it. Jovanovski doesnt come close.

Other examples... Peter Karmanos, Ted Leonsis, Steve Stavro....

yeah,I knew Jovo wasn't greek. btw,I'm Greek,and couldn't be any happier.

Erngueva

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
dragonwyck said:
While I agree with you, many people will tell you that Jewish people are their own race... not nationality, race.

There is only one race on earth, humanity. Well, that was my history teacher was saying! :)

tmangos

Jul 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Chelios is Greek. Lindros is not.
Theodore is half-Macedonian. He even does a commercial for a local Macedonian weekly tv show. And yes, his real last name (or at least, his father's) is a lot longer. Jovanovski is full Macedonian. So is Steve Stavro.
As for Crosby? Oy vey, I jusdunnowhattheheckheis, but I'm tellin' ya, I justdonthink he's jewish.

CaptainCanada

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
tm said:
Chelios is Greek. Lindros is not.
Theodore is half-Macedonian. He even does a commercial for a local Macedonian weekly tv show. And yes, his real last name (or at least, his father's) is a lot longer. Jovanovski is full Macedonian. So is Steve Stavro.
As for Crosby? Oy vey, I jusdunnowhattheheckheis, but I'm tellin' ya, I justdonthink he's jewish.

Dont get me started on the Macedonia-Greece debate... There are Greek Macedonians and the Slavic Macedonians. Theo and Stavro are Greek, from Greek decent. I have spoken to Theo's father and grandfather in Greek, and their lifestyle and traditions are those of mainland Greeks. Jovo on the other hand, is full Slavic.

Saabato

Sep 5, 2003
London, Ontario
Captain Canada is 100% right. First of all, Crosby is not Greek. I was just yanking everyone's chain. But, Theodore and Stavro are Greek Macedonian. I know this for sure because my dad and I were talking to Stavro at one of his food chain stores a few years back before he sold them.
Jovonovski is full blown Slavic Macedonian. (NOT GREEK) I know this for sure because I was at a Macedonia vs. Canada soccer match three years ago with some of my slavic macedonian friends and Jovo was at the game. He is their hero.

Chelios is GREEK. Also the obviosu ones like Kostopolous and Dimitrakos. Believe it or not. Jimmy Carson from the old oiler days was Greek. He changed his name. I think Lindros is like a 1/4 greek.

Anyways, Crosby is not Greek or Jewish. Sorry to all you Jewish people who thought he was. He's probably Irish.

This is a weird thread.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
There have been a lot of great Jewish basketball players.
Dolf Schayes.
Moses Malone, I think.

;)

Safir*

Jovanovski familiy came to NA from Yugoslavia, back when he was 10 or 11 years and that was the time when he starting skating. Wow...almost 7-8 years later he was the #1 overall pick.

Crosby background could lie anywhere in Western Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad