Is Bettman right? Will fans come back?

CaniacManiac

Oct 19, 2011
In the beginning of this mess Bettman said that Hockey fans would come back. Is he right? To me it was an insult. I cancelled my season tickets and now I'm glad I did because of the weekday heavy schedule. It wouldn't of worked for me with so many school nights.

I will for sure be going as I will support the Canes but just not as much as previous years. Last year I missed I only missed two home games the whole season (and went to two away games) but this year I anticipate going to about 10 or so games and will be picking up tickets in the resell zone

Will the casual fan come back? Everyone seems excited now but will it last? Just curious what everyone is thinking.

CaniacManiac

Oct 19, 2011
Hockey games end before 10 pm. I don't see how school nights make a difference.

For a 7 yr old first grader it does make a difference. 30 minute drive home puts him in bed after 10:30. Not good.

The original schedule had us being able to go to 31 games out of 41 with games either being on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday or him being tracked out of school. It was as close to perfect as you could get.

Now with the new schedule we can only go to 7 games that are not on school nights. Make it 8 as we will make an exception for Opening night.

New schedule does not work in our favor and probably for others with young kids. It makes me feel better about giving up my Season Tickets. My support will still be there but just not a strong as last year. We'll see next year.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
If the Checkers game that drew over 10,000 when they played at PNC and the droves of people who showed up to RCI yesterday are any indication, the fans will be back. I'm sure today's open practice is going to be crazy with fans as well.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
For a 7 yr old first grader it does make a difference. 30 minute drive home puts him in bed after 10:30. Not good.

The original schedule had us being able to go to 31 games out of 41 with games either being on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday or him being tracked out of school. It was as close to perfect as you could get.

Now with the new schedule we can only go to 7 games that are not on school nights. Make it 8 as we will make an exception for Opening night.

New schedule does not work in our favor and probably for others with young kids. It makes me feel better about giving up my Season Tickets. My support will still be there but just not a strong as last year. We'll see next year.

My dad used to take me to every game in Greensboro the first two years and that is when I was in the 5-7 year old range. 10:30 still isn't very late. If your kid loves hockey, he won't care how late he gets to bed.

Reactions: MinJaBen

CaniacManiac

Oct 19, 2011
My dad used to take me to every game in Greensboro the first two years and that is when I was in the 5-7 year old range. 10:30 still isn't very late. If your kid loves hockey, he won't care how late he gets to bed.

Um..Ok.....fortunately as a 7 yr old he doesn't get to make the decisions

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
The NHL has casual fans?

I mean seriously, fans came back after the last lockout and that year we lost the whole season. Sure the STH cancelled but you said it yourself OP, you'll still go to games.

I understand the hardcore hockey fan being pissed about being jerked around but most of those fans will be back and the casual fans likely will jump on when they see the Canes winning.

CaniacManiac

Oct 19, 2011
Looking forward to those $10 lower level tickets in the resell zone. I know that my average spend per game will be about 25% of what it was last year and I'll go to about 50% of home games this year compared to 95% last year.

Not enough hardcore fans here and unfortunately attendance will suffer this year.

Oh....and my rep did call this morning trying to get me back. The push is on and they are giving incentives that are not advertised.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
Looking forward to those $10 lower level tickets in the resell zone. I know that my average spend per game will be about 25% of what it was last year and I'll go to about 50% of home games this year compared to 95% last year.

Not enough hardcore fans here and unfortunately attendance will suffer this year.

Oh....and my rep did call this morning trying to get me back. The push is on and they are giving incentives that are not advertised.

STH holders going into the year was most ever in franchise history, only 7% dropped tix.. If the Canes are winning, fans will be back.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yeah, fans will be back. You don't spend the entire lockout on a hockey message board femaledogging about the lockout if you don't care about the sport. Once they're playing hockey, people will be watching. It's a form of entertainment you enjoy watching, so guess what? You'll watch it.

Reactions: MinJaBen

WalkerBabe

Oct 26, 2007
Raleigh NC
I've been livid over this lockout but I'm back ... chomping at the bit to both go to as many games as possible, and watch the others on TV. For some, it's an addiction ... :help:

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
well, lets look at other options--NBA? hurts my eyes and kills my brain cells--college b-ball? nothing more than nba developmental league -makes me want to slit my wrists--duck dynasty? only on on wednesday nites w/ reruns on fri. cooking? photography? skirtchasing? knitting? think i'll watch jockey!

SweetStormRising

Sponsor
Mar 21, 2009
Raleigh
My son is 7 and in 2nd grade, he goes to games on school nights. he has since birth (well, he was born during the last lockout, but you get the idea).

When he was really small, we adjusted naps and bedtime to allow for more sleep the night before and/or day of. We would occasionally skip the 3rd period. he has been fine since he was in kindergarten to attend (no behavior issues or problems in class) without nap adjustments.

We park where we can exit quickly and normally are home about 9:50 and he is in bed by 10. His normal bedtime is 9:15. He sleeps until 7:30 (but normally is up about 7:00 when he is bed at 9:15) and school does not start until 9:15 so this is more than adequate in our house. If he seems tired, we will leave early but this has not been required very often.

I can see if you have an early riser how the late game schedule could be a problem. I guess we are lucky in that we can attend and still get the recommend by our pediatrician number hours of sleep.

We'll see what happens when the new baby gets here :laugh: since every one is different.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Decock mentioned that the State/Wake Forest game is currently scheduled on FSN on the 22nd. Interesting to see what happens here. Won't win too many fans if they don't even televise the Home Opener. That'll just piss people off even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->