Injury Report: Is anyone recovering from injuries?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
We really need a good start to the season. Can't afford any significant injuries.

We're in luck... significant injuries are free. :) Seriously though, I agree... would be nice to have an abundance of healthy bodies to finally have some decent depth throughout the lineup to keep the Hunt/Miller types down in the AHL.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
But why would he lie about something that would be proven wrong in a couple weeks if he wasn't being truthful?

Because he can continue to deflect blame from his buddies who signed the contract that somehow are still employeed. And really no one is going to be talking about Niki in a few weeks.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Because he can continue to deflect blame from his buddies who signed the contract that somehow are still employeed. And really no one is going to be talking about Niki in a few weeks.

Why would he need to deflect blame at a time where their practically taking zero heat for the first time in years? Obviously Bob acts as a mouthpiece for the Oilers org. sometimes and I think it's fair to question his opinions, given that he's paid by the Oilers. I just think it's ridiculous to claim that anything Bob reports is bias when he's reporting facts. Especially when posters like JTS feel the need repeatedly post the same reply to any post referring to Stauffer.

If he's repeatedly said that Nikitin is in great shape recently, then someone will take note and call him out if wrong. Hell, these are Oilers fan's were talking about, someone may even talk about it on the internet! This type of thing doesn't go away, even if it gets lost in the shuffle in the next few weeks, it would certainly come up again if Nikitin doesn't show improvement or comes into camp out of shape.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Why would he need to deflect blame at a time where their practically taking zero heat for the first time in years? Obviously Bob acts as a mouthpiece for the Oilers org. sometimes and I think it's fair to question his opinions, given that he's paid by the Oilers. I just think it's ridiculous to claim that anything Bob reports is bias when he's reporting facts. Especially when posters like JTS feel the need repeatedly post the same reply to any post referring to Stauffer.

If he's repeatedly said that Nikitin is in great shape recently, then someone will take note and call him out if wrong. Hell, these are Oilers fan's were talking about, someone may even talk about it on the internet! This type of thing doesn't go away, even if it gets lost in the shuffle in the next few weeks, it would certainly come up again if Nikitin doesn't show improvement or comes into camp out of shape.

And if it does come up when Nikitin eventually falters all he has to say is, well it's the final year of his contract so good move by MacT and Howson for only signing him to a 2 year deal that doesn't have any impact on years when the club is trying to be competitive, or say that it's not that Nikitin is bad it's just that Nurse or Griff are too good to be held back. This is still the Edmonton media and still Boob Stauffer we're talking about. Priority #1 is to protect the name of the team and management

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
You guys are hilarious. The rumours of Nikitin in good shape just arent from Bob. lol

Doubt away I guess.

This can only be a good news. Either he shows up at camp and proves he deserves a spot on the team or his good showing allows us to trade him. Either way, good to hear.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Nikitin came into camp last year out of shape. That does not mean he had layers of fat all around him. Just that he was not in proper hockey shape. And this was not from battling injury. It was from neglect in taking care of himself and pushing himself in the off season, especially after signed a big fat contract. You may not call it lazy. I could use words like not giving enough of a damn, or refusing to act like a professional. Either way, he did it to himself, and the result was hurting himself in camp, and starting his season off on a downward spiral that he never recovered from. I have no sympathy or respect for someone that makes that kind of money and then doesn't completely dedicate themselves to at least coming to camp in the best of shape.

that's fair, but even if he knowingly neglected his fitness in that offseason, he can make it up in my opinion if he worked hard in this offseason. Even if the only reason he does better this year is to work for his next contract, I don't care. He won't be here when we're contending. He's just a mercenary filling in before our prospects can step in, and if he's in top shape now he can actually help us become a playoff team. We could use a veteran with his physical gifts and his slapshot.

At any rate, this is all just speculation until we see how he actually does at camp. Maybe he'll still be terrible. If that happens then he won't play. Simple as that

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Once the regular season inches closer I'll throw up the 2015-16 Infirmary Thread.

Until then, you can continue using this thread to uhh... talk about how good Nikitin looks. :D

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm curious as to what Nikitin brings this year. I didn't have a good sense of the player before he came here, and I only saw the destructive annihilation of an entire squad last go around. With Eakins at the helm. But I'm not blaming Eakins for a seasoned veterans conditioning, just the seemingly "don't care" attitude that some believe he portrayed. Every player except a chosen few played like they didn't care. I just didn't have the background of Nikitin to make a final Judgement. Or the final Countdown:

:sarcasm:

He's got to be given a chance by both the team as well as the fans. More importantly to the fans IMO.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
But why would he lie about something that would be proven wrong in a couple weeks if he wasn't being truthful?

because he has done it before

said one thing then when it became painfully obvious changed his story and tried to make it like he did not say the first think

Example 1 Hall is 100% healthy about a week later he announced Hall has been suffering from a lingering injury that he has been playing through for about a month

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think we're being a little too hard on Nikitin here. I think we can agree on the following:

1. Most of us don't believe that he came into camp injury free.
2. A lot of us believe he got hurt early in the season because he was overexerting himself... but that problem wouldn't have arisen if he'd come into camp out of shape.
3. He's young enough to still be effective in the NHL for another 3-5 years.
4. Unless he's gone insane he's gotta come into camp in shape because a repeat of last year on a contract year could mean nobody would want to pick him up next season.
5. Give the fact that the value of the Russian Rupel is now about 1/2 of what it was a few years ago, he'd probably be making between 1/4-1/3 of what he's making now after taxes if he went to the KHL, so it doesn't make sense for him to want to go back to Europe.
6. Edmonton radio is going to say nothing but the best things about everything Oilers until they're blue in the face or unless it's totally obvious that the opposite of what they're saying is the actual truth.
7. We're really healthy and that means we're going to have our best training camp since the year Pronger came over.
8. We're healthy and our farm team is going to go deep into the playoffs this year.

Side note... is Pitlick at 100% right now? I love watching this guy play, but he's more fragile than Hemsky was during his prime. Anyone think he can go 30 games without missing a game to injury this year?

Another thing on Pitlick. Since he's not an established NHL player it's next to impossible to hear news on what he's doing during the off-season. He hardly ever updates his twitter and I'm interested to know if he's put some weight on. I'm a firm believer that he either has a hard time putting on muscle or that he doesn't do enough strength training in the off-season.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
because he has done it before

said one thing then when it became painfully obvious changed his story and tried to make it like he did not say the first think

Example 1 Hall is 100% healthy about a week later he announced Hall has been suffering from a lingering injury that he has been playing through for about a month

I hear ya. He did that with Hemsky, Horcoff and Smyth.

It's annoying as hell but I imagine that the team's philosophy is that they don't want anyone to know that their player is hurting so that the opposition can't key in on the injury.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I think we're being a little too hard on Nikitin here. I think we can agree on the following:

1. Most of us don't believe that he came into camp injury free.
2. A lot of us believe he got hurt early in the season because he was overexerting himself... but that problem wouldn't have arisen if he'd come into camp out of shape.
3. He's young enough to still be effective in the NHL for another 3-5 years.
4. Unless he's gone insane he's gotta come into camp in shape because a repeat of last year on a contract year could mean nobody would want to pick him up next season.
5. Give the fact that the value of the Russian Rupel is now about 1/2 of what it was a few years ago, he'd probably be making between 1/4-1/3 of what he's making now after taxes if he went to the KHL, so it doesn't make sense for him to want to go back to Europe.
6. Edmonton radio is going to say nothing but the best things about everything Oilers until they're blue in the face or unless it's totally obvious that the opposite of what they're saying is the actual truth.
7. We're really healthy and that means we're going to have our best training camp since the year Pronger came over.
8. We're healthy and our farm team is going to go deep into the playoffs this year.

Side note... is Pitlick at 100% right now? I love watching this guy play, but he's more fragile than Hemsky was during his prime. Anyone think he can go 30 games without missing a game to injury this year?

Another thing on Pitlick. Since he's not an established NHL player it's next to impossible to hear news on what he's doing during the off-season. He hardly ever updates his twitter and I'm interested to know if he's put some weight on. I'm a firm believer that he either has a hard time putting on muscle or that he doesn't do enough strength training in the off-season.

It's Russian Ruble.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011

Pitlick probably dislocated his shoulder signing his contract extension this off season.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Pitlick probably dislocated his shoulder signing his contract extension this off season.

I know! That couldn't be closer to the truth. He's gotta be doing something wrong. Was he known to be injury prone when we drafted him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad