Is anyone else starting to not care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
s7ark said:
With all this childish bickering back and forth is anyone else just starting to tune out? I haven't watched sportsnet or TSN in a while now and am finding that I simply am not as interested in the game. This is a quite a shocker for me as I have been a lifelong Oilers fan and a season ticket holder last year. But frankly, with both the players and owners leading the way in not caring about the league, I guess I am starting to follow suit.

Honestly, if it weren't for some great posters around here, I likely would have tuned out long ago.

Players won't accept salaries that are needed to help the league grow and the owners won't put revenue sharing on the table designed to do the same, so this becomes more and more a fight over a large pile of money and less and less about saving the game. And frankly I loved the game, the money means nothing to me.

I guess I am just tired of all this. And am really starting to lose interest, am I alone here?
i care a lot - there still gonna use replacement's though -

TheBudsForever

May 5, 2002
Visit site
Both the players and the owners can both rot as far as I care. They deserve each other and I can only hope that they half destroy each other in their ongoing war of childish one upmanship.

Reality or otherwise, both sides have finally managed to destroy the idea of the NHL as the last major sport in North America where there was any respect for the fan and the game itself.

Greed and pure unabating stupidity on both sides have caused the current impasse. Both sides seems cemented on a path of mutually assured death and destruction as is further manifested by today's reports in resepct of both the owner and player meetings. I can only hope that they both manage to kiss yet another season of hockey good bye and that ESPN tells them bye bye in April as well. That should just about cement the death of several southern U.S. small market clubs which will look good on both the players and the owners.

In the interim, send a message by refusing to buy NHL licensed apparel and goods. Don't wear any NHL apparel that you have in public. Don't watch or attend any hockey events involving NHL players ie that World Stars crap. If you bump into a player, owner, GM, Coach, Grapes, Goodenow, Bettman, agent, etc, let them know what you think.

A pox on them all... In the interim, guess what, alot of us are finding there are alot of other things to do on Saturday Night......

VinnyVinnyVici

Mar 16, 2004
Dade City, FL
Bring Back Bucky said:
When responding to rude posts like you did above, try not to respond by being rude in kind...
Sorry, Bucky - after reading what I posted, I was probably lashing out in frustration. Pretty much overreacted. But I am sick and tired of people on these boards (usually Canadians) cr@pping all over my hometown team to make a misguided point.

Personally, I'm very much opposed to contraction (doesn't make much sense legally or practically), but the business reality of the situation in the NHL is that low-revenue Canadian teams like Calgary and Edmonton would be contracted well before Tampa Bay would. And that would be a real tragedy for Canada as well as the NHL...

...I wonder sometimes if that's really what the pro-contraction people want. Because that's far more likely to happen than all of the southern teams falling off the face of the earth.

...or at least check your grade 4 math. The year 1993 is not 15 years and counting. ;)
(And, sorry about the math snafu - I simply forgot about the Habs' Cup victory in '93. In my haste to post, I thought that the '89-90 Oilers team was the most recent Canadian squad to win it all... :dunno: )

Roger's Pancreas*

If you like hockey you should care about the NHL. Bettman and Goodenow have hung hockey out to dry for their own personal fude at this point. When it comes back we have to give it something to come back to or else we'll be going without it permenantly.

monkey_00*

Bulin Wall said:
:madfire: :madfire: :madfire:

I sense a little BITTERNESS. Just a little.

What do you have against Tampa??? Is it the fact that it's home to the Stanley Cup for (at least) another 12 months? Or is it because a Canadian team hasn't sipped from the Cup in 15 years (and counting)?

And, oh by the way, brainiac..... the NHL did have a team in the "hockey hotbed" of Winnipeg, and they MOVED because they couldn't make enough money to stay in business there. "Hotbed" or not, if you're not able to afford to stay in business in a market, why on earth would you stay (or go back) there????

Just wondering.... and, thanks for living up to your moniker, monkey-boy. :mad:

.........heh heh heh humour me some more................did I piss you off?........good..........mission accomplished. :D

Murphy*

I havent cared since right after the World Cup. Seriously. I'm not pro-owner or pro-player. I'm Anti-Idiot.

monkey_00*

Bring Back Bucky said:
And another Canadian chimes in to give fuel to hockey fans in the southern states good reason to suspect we're all that small-minded. :dunce:

Bring Back Bucky..........

Oh.....I never said ALL cities in the States didn't deserve NHL hockey........just the ones whose fans have less teeth than their hockey players that's all........you know?..........places like Nashville and the Carolinas of the world........I honestly think there's only a handful of teams in America where NHL should be in like the 4 that were part of Original 6 hockey (Detroit, Chicago, Boston, NY Rangers) and a few of the other teams that came along thereafter like Philadelphia Flyers is the best NHL market after Toronto as far as I'm concerned........you can throw in Dallas Stars in there as well cause Texas has more pro hockey teams playing in their state than any other State or Canadian province for that matter.......BUT when you start getting into places like Phoenix (the desert), Tampa Bay (surf dudes), Anaheim (already a team in L.A.) and Carolina (where Monster trucks is the #1 sport) then THAT's where I draw the line.

Cheers!

monkey_00*

Bulin Wall said:
Sorry, Bucky - after reading what I posted, I was probably lashing out in frustration. Pretty much overreacted. But I am sick and tired of people on these boards (usually Canadians) cr@pping all over my hometown team to make a misguided point.

Personally, I'm very much opposed to contraction (doesn't make much sense legally or practically), but the business reality of the situation in the NHL is that low-revenue Canadian teams like Calgary and Edmonton would be contracted well before Tampa Bay would. And that would be a real tragedy for Canada as well as the NHL...

...I wonder sometimes if that's really what the pro-contraction people want. Because that's far more likely to happen than all of the southern teams falling off the face of the earth.

(And, sorry about the math snafu - I simply forgot about the Habs' Cup victory in '93. In my haste to post, I thought that the '89-90 Oilers team was the most recent Canadian squad to win it all... :dunno: )

Bulin Wall..............

Too many teams in the NHL as far as I'm concerned........they should eliminate 10 clubs and make it a 20-team League.........Tampa Bay would be one of the 10 I throw in there.........I think having a team in Florida is "ok"......but if I were to choose between Miami and Tampa Bay I would choose Miami simply because Miami is 3-times larger than Tampa Bay.........I also don't mind having a couple of teams in California like the Bay area; San Jose Sharks have proven to be solid NHL market...one of the better ones actually I know so I've been down there myself.....but I don't think there should be 2 teams in the Greater Los Angeles area......

Hecht

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
I guess the NHL itself isn't as important to me right now because I can see an AHL game or college hockey... I just want the owners and players to get a fair deal where everyone is happy (fat fricken chance)...

Victory Ali*

Meh... I was pretty upset until I realized I have a pretty good WHL team in town... to hell with the Canucks and to hell with the NHL. Bunch of greedy bastards.

How freaking hard is it for the premier league to get the premier players out there? I guess it's impossible :shakehead

And for christ's sake, get rid of the ***damn instigator rule :banghead: :mad: :madfire:

chiavsfan

Add me to the list of starting not to care. In the week leading up to the cancellation I went from 80 posts to 300 or so posts...But now, I just don't see the need. I miss the Avs and Blackhawks terribly...but the Wolves have made life a lot easier.

This whole situation is rediculous, and rhetoric laden, it's gone past the boiling point. Just wake me up when it's over, I might, stress MIGHT, stammer back to an arena

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I've become rather schizoprhenic about this.

I intellectually and emotionally gave up on this season long before the final offer/cancelled/uncancelled maybe/cancelled again fiasco.

At the same time looking at in a detached way, I find it a fascinating bit of theater. And it's also sort of like the anticipation one gets when one hears tires screeching and waiting for the crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->