Is anyone else starting to not care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
With all this childish bickering back and forth is anyone else just starting to tune out? I haven't watched sportsnet or TSN in a while now and am finding that I simply am not as interested in the game. This is a quite a shocker for me as I have been a lifelong Oilers fan and a season ticket holder last year. But frankly, with both the players and owners leading the way in not caring about the league, I guess I am starting to follow suit.

Honestly, if it weren't for some great posters around here, I likely would have tuned out long ago.

Players won't accept salaries that are needed to help the league grow and the owners won't put revenue sharing on the table designed to do the same, so this becomes more and more a fight over a large pile of money and less and less about saving the game. And frankly I loved the game, the money means nothing to me.

I guess I am just tired of all this. And am really starting to lose interest, am I alone here?

KeyserSoze

Jan 28, 2005
Caring little myself...

You are not alone...I have re-discovered how fun and affordable hockey is on the minor, college and Junior A levels...The NHL priced me out of their market years ago and is too boring with all the clutch and grab style anyway...Hockey lives on. Let the billionaires and millionaires ship sink. While they should be bailing water, instead they are too busy arguing over money to notice the rising waters..... :yo:

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
All hockey fans are being taken for granted. Only option is to tune them out.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
The NHL as we knew it has died folks, which may be a good thing. What is really sad to watch is how the PA is going down in flames. Not one single player will come out and have the stones to say that their leadership is leading them down a path of utter destruction which will cost as many as 300 of them their NHL career.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
If only we could get the media to not care for a while. I think if the owners and players suddenly found their press conferences empty and zero messages on the voice mail they'd get a new sense of urgency about getting a deal done.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
ceber said:
If only we could get the media to not care for a while. I think if the owners and players suddenly found their press conferences empty and zero messages on the voice mail they'd get a new sense of urgency about getting a deal done.

That is so true. But there is no way the media will do that unless they don't see a market for the stories. So as long as fans are following the stories, the media will be right there

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
I think following hockey the last few months has been an energy-emotional-shockfest roller coaster. Kind of like the playoffs. Lots of emotion from all sides (players, owners, fans). Its awesome.

When the league starts up again, it will be boring compared to what has happened...and mostly what is coming. The war is only beginning.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I really dont care either. I got tired of being a pawn in this game. If the owners and players actually gave a crap about us the fans they would have already reached a deal. From day one this has been a PR battle, neither side worked hard to get a deal done. They dragged their feet for mile to the very last minute then could go that extra inch needed to get a deal done. Frankly i'm disgusted with both sides.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
I've been to the rink almost every night this winter. I play hockey at least 3, maybe 4 nights week, and just skate for an hour or two if there aren't enough guys around to play pickup. I haven't skated this much in more than 20 years, and I've probably gotten more ice time this winter than I've had in the last 10 years put together. I'm having the time of my life.

I don't miss these bozoes at all. I haven't had this much fun since I was a kid. If they want to sit out next year too, that's fine by me. I'll just go out and play every night myself, same as I'm doing this year. Heck, even if they come back next season, I'll never go back to watching them as much as I used to. I'd forgotten how much fun I was missing out on.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah, I've really started to not give a crap about this anymore. I've been a hockey fan since as long as I can remember, but this entire mess has just turned me off of the NHL completely. I've got the Vancouver Giants to follow now.

All I really have to say to both sides, is that when you get it done, let us know, if not, go away.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Just to clarify, I am not talking about hockey in general, just the NHL. I am more then happy to follow the AHL, CHL, NCAA and various Euro leagues.

monkey_00*

Yep!...........I really care..........I care so much that I hope the NHL keeps it's players locked for a very loooooooong time forcing the NHL to finally get a stick of dynomite and blowing itself up to a Gazillion piecs and starting all over again by getting rid of hockey clubs in places like Nashville and Tampa Bay and placing them in hockey hotbeds like Hamilton Ontario and Winnipeg Manitoba. :D

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
From the time they started the lockout in September, to about mid-January, I barely looked at anything involving the NHL. It actually seemed to help the time pass by.

They hooked me again from then until the Wednesday/Saturday fall over the cliff.

Now I'm getting back into the September to mid-January mode. I've heard the May 1st semi-deadline talk. I'm not getting interested until they have a deal this time. Both sides have shown that they're more than willing to do what they need to do to win. Seems as if both sides proved their point. That alone gives me no reason to think they really care about any deadlines.

I think the NHL hit its breaking point. Its bubble burst. It got too big for its own good. Not just expansion, but on many levels. And I hate talking about expansion/relocation/contraction, because who am I to say what city should have a team, and what city shouldn't. But they can contract every team at this point. The whole show is just a giant mess.

VinnyVinnyVici

Mar 16, 2004
Dade City, FL
monkey_00 said:
Yep!...........I really care..........I care so much that I hope the NHL keeps it's players locked for a very loooooooong time forcing the NHL to finally get a stick of dynomite and blowing itself up to a Gazillion piecs and starting all over again by getting rid of hockey clubs in places like Nashville and Tampa Bay and placing them in hockey hotbeds like Hamilton Ontario and Winnipeg Manitoba. :D
:madfire: :madfire: :madfire:

I sense a little BITTERNESS. Just a little.

What do you have against Tampa??? Is it the fact that it's home to the Stanley Cup for (at least) another 12 months? Or is it because a Canadian team hasn't sipped from the Cup in 15 years (and counting)?

And, oh by the way, brainiac..... the NHL did have a team in the "hockey hotbed" of Winnipeg, and they MOVED because they couldn't make enough money to stay in business there. "Hotbed" or not, if you're not able to afford to stay in business in a market, why on earth would you stay (or go back) there????

Just wondering.... and, thanks for living up to your moniker, monkey-boy. :mad:

Last edited:

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
ive saidt his many times, as soon as a canadian tv station picks up a league and CONSISTENTLY shows games, be it AHL, SEL, CHL, NCAA.. whatever it is, the nhl is TOAST. canadians want to watch hockey. Switch HNIC to an AHL broadcast, and we dont miss a step.

at the end of the day the owners and players will have formed a partnership that entailed digging their own grave, now all thats left to decide is who goes into the hole first.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'm a sucker for punishment so I keep comin back here to see if theres any light at the end of the tunnel .

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
monkey_00 said:

And another Canadian chimes in to give fuel to hockey fans in the southern states good reason to suspect we're all that small-minded. :dunce:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Bulin Wall said:
:madfire: :madfire: :madfire:

I sense a little BITTERNESS. Just a little.

What do you have against Tampa??? Is it the fact that it's home to the Stanley Cup for (at least) another 12 months? Or is it because a Canadian team hasn't sipped from the Cup in 15 years (and counting)?

And, oh by the way, brainiac..... the NHL did have a team in the "hockey hotbed" of Winnipeg, and they MOVED because they couldn't make enough money to stay in business there. "Hotbed" or not, if you're not able to afford to stay in business in a market, why on earth would you stay (or go back) there????

Just wondering.... and, thanks for living up to your moniker, monkey-boy. :mad:

When responding to rude posts like you did above, try not to respond by being rude in kind, or at least check your grade 4 math. The year 1993 is not 15 years and counting. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad