Is anyone else less excited for the Stadium Series game compared to the WC and CC?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
While I like it when the NHL involves the Leafs in events during the regular season is anyone less excited about them playing in the Stadium Series game this Saturday compared to when they played in the Winter Classic and hosted the Centennial Classic?

In the Winter Classic it's supposed to be the NHL's marque regular season game, we had the atmosphere of playing in Michigan Stadium with a 100,000 + crowd and it was the first outdoor game the Leafs got to play in.

The Centennial Classic was the first outdoor game the Leafs had hosted and while we could not have predicted the ending, it was a special one with Matthews getting the game winning goal in overtime.

Finally prior to both games we saw 24/7 series NHL Road to the Winter Classic and the Road to the Outdoor Games prior to the Centennial Classic, plus there was alumni games scheduled before for the Leafs and Red Wings.

So despite the atmosphere will anyone else think of the Stadium Series as just another regular season game?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The NHL does like no marketing for the stadium series games. They just get booked and just happen.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The NHL does like no marketing for the stadium series games. They just get booked and just happen.
When the Stadium Series started in 2014 they did have those behind the scene type documentaries about them. Although I think that was the only time since the Stadium Series games were brand new and the NHL wanting to hype them as much.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
When the Stadium Series started in 2014 they did have those behind the scene type documentaries about them. Although I think that was the only time since the Stadium Series games were brand new and the NHL wanting to hype them as much.

Those behind the scene documentaries mattered when the games were relevant - it was cool to see teams/players behind the curtain.

Now? That novelty has gone.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I realized part of the reason the Leafs were selected for this game was their playoff series against Washington and I'm sure the other main reason was for NBC to showcase Auston Matthews to a national crowd in the United States. However with his injury that won't happen.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Less excitement for sure and Matthews needs to be in it, but i for sure don't want to miss it either.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I’m in NYC so I’m definitely taking the opportunity to head down to DC for the weekend and watch the game. The winter classic in Ann Arbor was an awesome experience with 100000 people, even though I froze my nads off. While this won’t match that probably, it should still be fun.

Reactions: Smif

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Not as exciting as the other two for the obvious reasons mentioned, but I'm still glad we're involved. Should be fun.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Put it this way, I didn’t realize that the game was this Saturday until they mentioned it during tonight’s game. With that said I do enjoy them.

Same.

These outdoor game are fine but this one has never been on my mind in any way. I keep having to be reminded that it is even a thing and yet it is apparently this weekend?

I will admit both those outdoor games vs the Wings were really enjoyable. This one I don't think is the same kind of thing but I'm not gonna whine about it like so many people seem to do.

It's a game and it's in a stadium, cool, then back to normal games.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Less excited, no.
I haven't been excited for any of them and really wish they would just go away.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Being a Leaf fan in Michigan I was at the Winter Classic. Best sporting event I ever attended. The love of hockey that day. The fans showing up, sticking around was very cool. The game this Saturday. Gimmick. Yawn.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Stadium Series is poorly marketed. It sounds boring, no hype. If they called it Winter Slaaaaam, then I would totally be into it.

/s

Whatever another game hope we win.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I look at it as the next game in the schedule and a test against a good team. The fact it is in Annapolis just adds some visual stimulation; oh and the tighty whities will be interesting to see too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->