Is anyone comparing Kessel to Crosby anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
AgentNaslund said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=141986&hubname=nhl

i feel sorry for the Kessel Homers. Doing what it takes to make everyone try to believe Kessel belongs in the leauge of Crosby and Ovechkin. :biglaugh: this thread is rather quite hilarious. And who ever decided to label Kessel the "next one" should be shot. Im one guy that seen Kessel play at the world Juniors, and it wasnt one game it was a few. TSN showed it, and im very disapointed. I thinking I would see someone in the leauge of Sidney Crosby and I was rather shocked. He was nowhere near his leauge. Just some young kid that can skate like the wind, and have a good slap shot. Rather ineffective as I see him play against a not so strong Belarus team. Just sad. Kessel will fly down the wing, but he will be angled off the puck, and lose posession. So this is the next one? why the hell was this kid compared to Sidney Crosby? funny.
Still trying hard by making a comment, "he has better offensive potentials" that makes me laugh even harder. Its in the same leauge as somone saying, theres a very good chance Jonathn Toews will be the number 1 pick.

Im not saying Kessel is not gonna be a good player one day, but this thread is just plain hilarious. Even at max potential I dont see Kessel being in the same leauge as Crosby or Ovechkin. Probably in the leauge of Eric Staal, Jason Spezzas.

It took you this long to come up with this tripe? Next time keep the "contribution" to yourself. Face it, you have no clue who Phil Kessel is, his background, where he plays, or his strengths & weaknesses. You're another in a seemingly endless string of "observers" that haven't observed anything.

KariyaIsGod*

MN_Gopher said:
Kessel is not NHL ready at this very moment. So the comparison is not Kessel today vs Crosby today. Its Kessel in 3 years vs Crosby in 3 years. Or at least thats how i see it. Kessel just had a 5 point week end against Mich and Mich ST. Has 16 points in his last eight games. Is out scoring the likes of Blake Wheeler, Drew Stafford, Ryan Stoa, Kris Chucko, TJ Oshie, Jonathon Towes, Jack Skille, Andrew Cogliano, Travis Zajac and more that all could all be solid NHLers.

Potulny may be NHL ready next year. Is good in his own end and usually on face offs. So he could be a good 3rd line player. But with Forsberg, Carter, Richards and others eating up top spots playing him on the 4th line would be a waste of his devolopment. He almost sat out his entire freshamn year. So this will only be his 2nd full year in the NCAA. Another year would not hurt. Then i think he could play 3rd line center in Philly. Maybe get some solid PP time.

So do you predict Crosby will regress?

Otherwise you cannot logically believe Kessell will ever be as good as Crosby.

The fact is, they are the same age. Crosby is better right now even though they are the same age. Unless Crosby gets worse, all indications are, he will always be better than Kessell. It's logic.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
DrMoses said:
So do you predict Crosby will regress?

Otherwise you cannot logically believe Kessell will ever be as good as Crosby.

The fact is, they are the same age. Crosby is better right now even though they are the same age. Unless Crosby gets worse, all indications are, he will always be better than Kessell. It's logic.

Theoretically, Crosby wouldn't have to regress to be passed up by Kessell. Kessell could simply improve at a fantastic rate, thereby reaching and then surpassing Crosby down the road.

Not that I see it happening.

heygarebear

Blues
Feb 28, 2002
STL - Nashville
Personally I think Kessel will turn into a superstar caliber player.. and become a monster inside the offensive zone. But he's no Crosby or Ovechkin.

It doesn't look good for the Blues right now.. and I hope the Blues will be able to get him in the next draft.. and a new owner

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
AgentNaslund said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=141986&hubname=nhl

i feel sorry for the Kessel Homers. Doing what it takes to make everyone try to believe Kessel belongs in the leauge of Crosby and Ovechkin. :biglaugh: this thread is rather quite hilarious. And who ever decided to label Kessel the "next one" should be shot. Im one guy that seen Kessel play at the world Juniors, and it wasnt one game it was a few. TSN showed it, and im very disapointed. I thinking I would see someone in the leauge of Sidney Crosby and I was rather shocked. He was nowhere near his leauge. Just some young kid that can skate like the wind, and have a good slap shot. Rather ineffective as I see him play against a not so strong Belarus team. Just sad. Kessel will fly down the wing, but he will be angled off the puck, and lose posession. So this is the next one? why the hell was this kid compared to Sidney Crosby? funny.
Still trying hard by making a comment, "he has better offensive potentials" that makes me laugh even harder. Its in the same leauge as somone saying, theres a very good chance Jonathn Toews will be the number 1 pick.

Im not saying Kessel is not gonna be a good player one day, but this thread is just plain hilarious. Even at max potential I dont see Kessel being in the same leauge as Crosby or Ovechkin. Probably in the leauge of Eric Staal, Jason Spezzas.

Did you see the Sweden game by any chance? When Kessel drove to the net and scored a goal. Wait he did it again and again. How he drove to the net and banked a pass of his forwards stick for a goal. Did you see the play when the Swedish d man thought he had him lined up only to see Kessel jump over his hip and score a goal. 4 points in one game. All going through or around the D and still keeping the puck. Check out the video, Its still out there. Hockeyvids.com

And i am sure that you have seen numerous gopher games this year. Then you would see that Kessel is pulling up more and not doing the 1:1 thing nearly as much. He is growing as a player and still learning.

The thing i never get is you say Kessel to Crosby is laughable. Then you say Kessel and Staal could be in the same league. So is Crosby to Staal a joke too?

vcx*

Comparisons lead to disappointment.

So please, continue to set yourselves up with disappointment.

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
MN_Gopher

I have only seen a few games Kessel has played in and when I was reading the recap of the college tournament over the weekend they said that Kessel just scored his first 5 on 5 goal. SInce you have seen a lot of him, how has he played 5 on 5? Thanks!

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
His goals so far this year have come on a PK mini break, a penalty shot and his PP goals are from close to the net. Either tip ins or scrapping up rebounds. 5-5 he is passing much more. Logging lots of assists and setting up teamates. He is getting his shots still 5-5. He has 74 shots on goal and our second guy and another pure goal scorer Potulny has 48. I really do not why he is not scoring 5-5. His 5-5 goal vs Mich was an odd man break just seconds before a penalty expired. The play started short handed. He is playing at a +6. He was going for the 5-5 1:1 moves early and was not having success. I like him passing 5-5 and scoring goals on special teams.

He clearly likes to use speed and have space. Making him a danger to pick of a pass shot handed or just set up shop on one side on the PP.

Last edited:

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
MN_Gopher said:
His goals so far this year have come on a PK mini break, a penalty shot and his PP goals are from close to the net. Either tip ins or scrapping up rebounds. 5-5 he is passing much more. Logging lots of assists and setting up teamates. He is getting his shots still 5-5. He has 74 shots on goal and our second guy and another pure goal scorer Potulny has 48. I really do not why he is not scoring 5-5. His 5-5 goal vs Mich was an odd man break just seconds before a penalty expired. The play started short handed. He is playing at a +6. He was going for the 5-5 1:1 moves early and was not having success. I like him passing 5-5 and scoring goals on special teams.

He clearly likes to use speed and have space. Making him a danger to pick of a pass shot handed or just set up shop on one side on the PP.

Thanks!! I have a follow up for you. How is he on the cycle? The games that i have seen, it seemed that most of his chances came off the rush.

Default101

Phil Kessel woulda been very lucky to be drafted top 5 last year, Kessel/Skille, would be a fair comparison (that kessel would win IMO) but he's no where near Crosby, thats like comparing Roenick to Lemieux sure they're both good, but he'll never compare to Mario

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ry-Dogg said:
Phil Kessel woulda been very lucky to be drafted top 5 last year, Kessel/Skille, would be a fair comparison (that kessel would win IMO) but he's no where near Crosby, thats like comparing Roenick to Lemieux sure they're both good, but he'll never compare to Mario

Kessel would have been the number two pick last year. No doubt about it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Rabid Ranger said:
Kessel would have been the number two pick last year. No doubt about it.

There was no clear number two last year. You could have thrown a half dozen or so in a hat and could have predicted who would have been taken 2-8.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Jaded-Fan said:
There was no clear number two last year. You could have thrown a half dozen or so in a hat and could have predicted who would have been taken 2-8.

Kessel wasn't in the draft last year, thus, yes you are right, there wasn't a clear number 2 in light of Kessel's absence.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
MN_Gopher said:
The thing i never get is you say Kessel to Crosby is laughable. Then you say Kessel and Staal could be in the same league. So is Crosby to Staal a joke too?

YES!

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
faucette78 said:
Thanks!! I have a follow up for you. How is he on the cycle? The games that i have seen, it seemed that most of his chances came off the rush.

Without the puck not good. He does not go into corners and really fight for the puck. When it is one his stick he is allright but not great. Can pass from most anywhere. He does forcheck good, uses his speed to get into lanes and he has picked many pockets. Is around 53% on face offs.

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
MN_Gopher said:
Without the puck not good. He does not go into corners and really fight for the puck. When it is one his stick he is allright but not great. Can pass from most anywhere. He does forcheck good, uses his speed to get into lanes and he has picked many pockets. Is around 53% on face offs.

Thanks a lot! The new NHL might turn out to be awesome for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->