Is anyone comparing Kessel to Crosby anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Rabid Ranger said:
Actually, I doubt there are all that many people who have seen Kessel play. There's a herd mentality here where one person (usually of dubious reliability) starts an anti- (name the player) chant and the sheep follow. I've seen every Gopher game (that's been televised) and I can say with 100% certainty that most of the negative comments being expressed about Kessel are inaccurate (such as his hockey sense and passing ability).

He did play in the world juniors last year.......which does happen to be one of the most highly watched junior events of the year.....if not the most watched.....id be willing to bet that most people here have seen him play, likely more than once.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
Let's just stop the Kessel/Comparison right now. It's pointless until Kessel is a 1st year player in the NHL.
Yeah, we should have a Cogliano /Kessel battltle.
That would be a lil more fair.
I say Cogs clubs him but for the bias

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Kessel has greater offensive potential than Crosby, but right now, it's just that...potential. Until he actually makes it to the NHL, any comparison is invalid.

Sammy*

fyug said:
Kessel has greater offensive potential than Crosby, but right now, it's just that...potential. Until he actually makes it to the NHL, any comparison is invalid.
I really dont know how anyone could reasonably say Kessel has greater offensive potential than Crosby. Crosby has annhilated his opposition in every league he has played in & is ripping it in the show. Kessel has yet to.
I guess Kessel has greater offensive potential than Ovechkin.
This Kessel pimping & comparing to generational talents is really becoming quite tiresome, & frankly stupid.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Actually, I doubt there are all that many people who have seen Kessel play. There's a herd mentality here where one person (usually of dubious reliability) starts an anti- (name the player) chant and the sheep follow. I've seen every Gopher game (that's been televised) and I can say with 100% certainty that most of the negative comments being expressed about Kessel are inaccurate (such as his hockey sense and passing ability).
I've seen the Gopher games too and IMO those are pretty much facts. Kessel has some skill but I don't think that his game has "pro-style" written on it at all. Like I said in another post, alot of his points are very unimpressive and kind of remind me of Daigle in his draft year. He doesn't battle, doesn't go into traffic, shys away from the boards, is poor defensively and his shot is known to be hard because its thundering off of the boards 9 times out of 10. Thats not to say that he'll be complete garbage but his game doesn't even come close to Crosby, AO, Malkin or even some of the other high end already drafted talant. My opinion is based on what I've seen so far. I don't know much about Kessel off of the ice or about his character. Flaws can be fixed and players can mature but AO and Crosby played a more mature game as 16 year olds than Kessel does right now.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Is this a joke? You can honestly say that Kessel has better potential offensively then Malkin Ovechkin or Crosby?

Have you noticed that Crosby as a 16 year old playing in a 19 and year old league in Quebec scored over 2 points per game? and that as a 17 year old he scored over 3 points a game in the 2nd half of the season?
Or maybe that he is playing the best players in the world right now who are an average of likely 27 or 28 and he is still putting up well over a point a game?

For kessel to be even mentioned seriously in this post at 18 years old playing vs other College KIDS he should be putting up about 3-4 points a game.
Dude you take homer to a new height :help:

You clearly know nothing about the NCAA. As do most on these boards it seems. Kariyas season was when the NCAA was realativly weak. Aaron Broten put up 100 points in a season too. As did Tony circus. Dany Heatley is averaging more points a game this year than he ever did in college. What about PM Bouchard. 2 points a game as an 18 year old and that transferred into not even .5 points a game in the NHL. It is much easier to score in the Q. And kids, Kessel just turned 18. He is playing against guys up to 6 years older than he is. 1.5 points a game is very good for a freshman. And he is creating more for his teamates that are not converted.

But keep on hating. And keep on talking. I need the laughs. I am double shifting today.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
fyug said:

??
Kessel has greater offensive potential than Crosby's current offensive ability, but right now, it's just that...potential. ??

Is this what you meant?

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
AgentNaslund said:
its not gonna happen now because both players are in 2 diffrent leauges as Ovechkin and Crosby are in the same leauge.

Maybe try Malkin Vs Kessel. That might make a little more sense, but if they say Malkin is as good as he is right now, Kessel is no match for this comparison.

Malkin can't shoot too well from the Metallurg Magnitogorsk games I've seen. Speed and passing is there but he flubs breakaways and point blank one-timers.

Sammy*

MN_Gopher said:

But keep on hating. And keep on talking. I need the laughs. I am double shifting today.
Heres a news flash. No one is hating Kessell. Most are saying its laughable, which it is, that Crosby & Kessell are comprable or that Kessell has as much offensive potential as Crosby.
Does Cogliano have as much potential as Ovechkin?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Wasn't AO under a point a game before he came to the NHL. You cant compare point totals from different leagues. Kessel still has a lot to prove. Crosby and AO are proving their worth at the highest level. But Kessel at least IMHO has done nothing to suggest that he does not have the "potential" to be an elite player and future Art Ross holder.

Sammy*

MN_Gopher said:
. But Kessel at least IMHO has done nothing to suggest that he does not have the "potential" to be an elite player and future Art Ross holder.
I agree with you. Then again, the same could be said of Cogliano.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Sammy said:
Heres a news flash. No one is hating Kessell. Most are saying its laughable, which it is, that Crosby & Kessell are comprable or that Kessell has as much offensive potential as Crosby.
Does Cogliano have as much potential as Ovechkin?

If it truly was 17 Crosby and 13 Kessel, What has changed. People all thought that Crosby would have a great year. And i would guess this is the type of year many GMs thought he would have. And that is the kind of year that many i would guess invisioned for Kessel. Like Williams and Heatley. Williams scored in ther NHL first but not more when Heatley made the jump.

I have nothing against Cogliano. Allthough. The WCHA has produced the last 3-4 hobey winners. 5/6 national championships and NoDak lost the game for 6/6. All four teams in the frozen four last year. Most first and second round picks for a few years now. The scoring champion for the NCAA i think going back to Jonny Pohl. And Hockey east is the conference that seems to be 2nd. Jonathon Towes is probally going top 3 and some think he may unseat Kessel. In conference Towes has 3 goals in eight games with no assists. Should he fall to? What? He is younger than Kessel and competing against much older, stronger, mature players. And holding his own as a 17 year old. That is very impressive. And that should not hurt his standing. Becasue he is not scoring at over a point a game like other top 3 picks that came out of the Q when they were 17.

Serously. I think any true freshman, that comes in and produces needs to get a long look. I have not seen Cogliano play or know much about the CCHA this year. But if i gave them any credit the MN mafia would be after me.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:

Sorry Rabid but I have watched him play live on a few occassions and have seen him on TV (although wathcing televised games does not give you an accurate assessment as seeing a player first hand) numerous times.

Kessel is a good player but he just isn't a Crosby type of player. Kessel is not ready for the NHL this year and possibly even the next. You are right about his passing ability, it is underrated but I do think that his overall "sense" is a tad under-developed. My comments about his "style" of game are accurate.

Kessel will be a good NHL player and we should leave it at that.

I also agree with the poster who stated it should be a Cogliano vs Kessel comparison as both are fairly similiar but...I would give the nod to Kessel on that one.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
Wasn't AO under a point a game before he came to the NHL. You cant compare point totals from different leagues. Kessel still has a lot to prove. Crosby and AO are proving their worth at the highest level. But Kessel at least IMHO has done nothing to suggest that he does not have the "potential" to be an elite player and future Art Ross holder.
Yes, in a men's league...

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
MN_Gopher said:
You clearly know nothing about the NCAA. As do most on these boards it seems. Kariyas season was when the NCAA was realativly weak. Aaron Broten put up 100 points in a season too. As did Tony circus. Dany Heatley is averaging more points a game this year than he ever did in college. What about PM Bouchard. 2 points a game as an 18 year old and that transferred into not even .5 points a game in the NHL. It is much easier to score in the Q. And kids, Kessel just turned 18. He is playing against guys up to 6 years older than he is. 1.5 points a game is very good for a freshman. And he is creating more for his teamates that are not converted.

you clearly missed the point here,

Crosby was 16 when he put up 2 points a game......if we are going to compare the qmjhl vs college hockey here thats a diff debate....to me they are very similar as I think the WHL is better then both.
Kessel is 18 playing vs mostly 20 year olds, Crosby was 16 playing vs 19 & 20 year olds.

There is no possible argument in the world for Kessel having more potential offensively then Crosby....Crosby is almost putting up 1.5 points per game in the freaking NHL compared to Kessel in College. come on think about that for a while.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Big Phil said:
Sid the Kid is on pace for 101 points this year. No question in my mind he's rookie of the year. In comparison Mario had 100 in his rookie year, Gretzky had 137. And to me Crosby is going to tear up the league even more in the second half.

I remember a socut once saying that if you asked the GMs around the league who they would like more between Crosby or Kessel he said it would be 17-13 in favour of Crosby. That was before he was drafted or even played a game in the NHL. So even then Crosby had the edge. And he was slated to being the #1 overall pick since 2003, while Kessel isnt the clear cut favourite the way Sid was.

To me Crosby is going to be the best player in the NHL. Maybe by as early as next season. And he'll push for the Art Ross trophy THIS year. That's just my projection.

Art Ross based on a projected 101 points is completely ridiculous.

Considering there are currently 15 players with more points then Crosby and based on the point production we are looking at:

Jagr 128 points
Forsberg 147
Alfie 151
Healey 142
Stall 128
Pavol 117
Spezza 142
Gagne 127
Prospal 105
McCabe 111
Thornton 123
Savard 111
Ilya 120*
Frollov 103
Naslund 99
Crosby 100

* missed the first 3 games so the formula is P/G X 79 in this players case

Granted Pavol, Prospal , McCabe , Savard ,Frollov and Naslund are all within 17 ‘projected’ points to Crosby thus far.

Kessel has a long road ahead of him before he makes the NHL and is an impact player. Mark him down after he graduates as NHL bound(Dwane Wade was not hindered by going the collage route)

18 to 22 is a huge difference for Kessel to develop physically so that he will not be knocked around when he enters the NHL.

Unless Jagr, Forsberg, Spezza, Alfie, Ilya, Dany, Gagne and Stall retire Crosby will not be the best player in the NHL next season.

Crosby is the best Penguin this season but his team will be first round knockouts if they manage to scrape into the playoffs.

Noting if Ilya carries his team to the playoffs that is one less spot available for the leagues ‘bottom feeders’(9-15 in the East)

Malkin, Kessel and AO/SC are in 3 leagues that can not be easily compared to one and another.

Crosby has not shown that his attitude is befitting of the Next One status. Throwing helmets, punching the boards for not getting a call and arguing with the officials will not get you any friends.

People have said that Kessel is a little nonchalant at times but does he always show respect for the officials?

Kessel Crosby and Malkin would be a good line but the Pens need to draft a top D-man next season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
Yeah, we should have a Cogliano /Kessel battltle.
That would be a lil more fair.
I say Cogs clubs him but for the bias

Well, Kessel and the Gophers outclassed "Cogs" and the Wolverines this evening. Kessel looked awesome and finished with two goals and an assist, giving him 19 points on the year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
VOB said:
Sorry Rabid but I have watched him play live on a few occassions and have seen him on TV (although wathcing televised games does not give you an accurate assessment as seeing a player first hand) numerous times.

Kessel is a good player but he just isn't a Crosby type of player. Kessel is not ready for the NHL this year and possibly even the next. You are right about his passing ability, it is underrated but I do think that his overall "sense" is a tad under-developed. My comments about his "style" of game are accurate.

Kessel will be a good NHL player and we should leave it at that.

I also agree with the poster who stated it should be a Cogliano vs Kessel comparison as both are fairly similiar but...I would give the nod to Kessel on that one.

I wasn't referring to you in my original comments. I actually think you express a very balanced view of Kessel the player and his long-term potential. As for how good of a NHL player Kessel will be, I have no idea, but I'm not willing to put a cap on it just to quash the comparisons to guys like Ovechkin and Crosby.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
#66 said:
I've seen the Gopher games too and IMO those are pretty much facts. Kessel has some skill but I don't think that his game has "pro-style" written on it at all. Like I said in another post, alot of his points are very unimpressive and kind of remind me of Daigle in his draft year. He doesn't battle, doesn't go into traffic, shys away from the boards, is poor defensively and his shot is known to be hard because its thundering off of the boards 9 times out of 10. Thats not to say that he'll be complete garbage but his game doesn't even come close to Crosby, AO, Malkin or even some of the other high end already drafted talant. My opinion is based on what I've seen so far. I don't know much about Kessel off of the ice or about his character. Flaws can be fixed and players can mature but AO and Crosby played a more mature game as 16 year olds than Kessel does right now.

I totally disagree with you and your "facts." Kessel's no banger, but the Kessel I've seen this year, especially lately is one who does battle and makes an effort to be defensively responsible. In case you haven't noticed he's been used quite extensively on the penalty kill by Lucia. As for his skills, I guess we're watching differant players.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
Well, Kessel and the Gophers outclassed "Cogs" and the Wolverines this evening. Kessel looked awesome and finished with two goals and an assist, giving him 19 points on the year.
Wow. One game? Good think we dont judge players on one game (at least i dont)..

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
He did play in the world juniors last year.......which does happen to be one of the most highly watched junior events of the year.....if not the most watched.....id be willing to bet that most people here have seen him play, likely more than once.

I'm not talking about the WJC's. I'm talking about Minnesota Golden Gophers hockey. I'd wager a fair amount that several posters here have never seen Kessel and the Gophers in action.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
alecfromtherock said:
Kessel Crosby and Malkin would be a good line but the Pens need to draft a top D-man next season.

The Pens have a ton of defensemen prospects in their system as it is.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
Wow. One game? Good think we dont judge players on one game (at least i dont)..

You're the one that was calling for the Kessel/Cogliano comparison. Kessel looked quite a bit better, although since you watched the game, maybe you could give me your impressions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->