Is anyone comparing Kessel to Crosby anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentNaslund*

its not gonna happen now because both players are in 2 diffrent leauges as Ovechkin and Crosby are in the same leauge.

Maybe try Malkin Vs Kessel. That might make a little more sense, but if they say Malkin is as good as he is right now, Kessel is no match for this comparison.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
For those that felt that Kessel would have been #1 last year, I think they'll hide now.
Crosby is among the rare breed that raise their level depending on the competition.
As for Malkin, he's a beast. I can't wait to see him in Pittsburgh.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
The thing with Kessel. Well first off i said i would rather have Crosby. And think Crosby will be the better player. But Kessels offensive abilties are limitless. Slapper, wrister accuracy and a very underatted passer. Thats what teams want. If Kessel continues to mature and improves. When he is in his 20s I could easily see him leading the league in points. Not that Mike Howe and Ryan Potulny are not great. But if Kessel was passing to Pallfy or any top line wing in the NHL. He would have 10 more assists this year easily. He has set up numerous players for mini breaks, one timers and tap ins.

I think of Kessel as a Pavel Bure type that passes. Crosby is not a Pavel Bure type.
The two do not compare at all in styles.

superjonathan

Dec 18, 2003
london, uk
MN_Gopher said:
if Kessel was passing to Pallfy or any top line wing in the NHL. He would have 10 more assists this year easily. He has set up numerous players for mini breaks, one timers and tap ins.

of course that's true. but you have to consider that crosby and his "top line wing[ers]" are playing against nhl calibre defensemen. so you can't really make that argument.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
MN_Gopher said:
I think of Kessel as a Pavel Bure type that passes. Crosby is not a Pavel Bure type.
The two do not compare at all in styles.

Pavel Bure type's dont pass. Crosby has the breakaway and goal scoring ability of pavel bure and he has shown it already in his rook year...i dunno what else your looking for. If Kessel has anything on Crosby in any category at all at this point that would make him one hell of a player, and i dont think hes there yet.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think Kessel has a better shot and speed on Crosby and thats what makes him one hell of a prospect.

Crosby is playing great right now. If he were leading the league in scoring. I would say yeah he is better everywhere. He is just over a point a game. Which is very good. No disrespect. But that is not worth x10 better than every other prospect out there. Or even twice as good as Kessel, Malkin or Ovechkin. I would put Kessel behind them in overall play. I really do think that Kessel could be the best in the offensive zone.

As far as better competition goes. Dany Heatley was just under a point and a half a game in college. This year in the new NHL and some seasiong and better teammates he is just over a point and a half a game. And college hockey is getting much tougher. Even compared to when Heatley was there.

Mr.Brownov*

Can we compare Angelo Esposito to Sidney Crosby :biglaugh:
Or how about Patrice Cormier :shakehead

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
MN_Gopher said:
I think Kessel has a better shot and speed on Crosby and thats what makes him one hell of a prospect.

Crosby is playing great right now. If he were leading the league in scoring. I would say yeah he is better everywhere. He is just over a point a game. Which is very good. No disrespect. But that is not worth x10 better than every other prospect out there. Or even twice as good as Kessel, Malkin or Ovechkin. I would put Kessel behind them in overall play. I really do think that Kessel could be the best in the offensive zone.

As far as better competition goes. Dany Heatley was just under a point and a half a game in college. This year in the new NHL and some seasiong and better teammates he is just over a point and a half a game. And college hockey is getting much tougher. Even compared to when Heatley was there.

There are probably 100 guys in the NHL that are faster then Crosby and a hundred more that have a better shot. Do you have any clue what makes Crosby so special?

Kessel would be getting bush wacked in the NHL this year. He's still a couple of years away from competing at any kind of high level in the NHL. He's got great skills which is going to make him explosive in the NHL and fun to watch. But from what I hear, for as much skill as he has, he's lacking one important quality - hockey sense. And you need hockey sense to elevate your game to even be considered as an elite player in the NHL.

Sammy*

Jim Beam said:
Can we compare Angelo Esposito to Sidney Crosby :biglaugh:
Or how about Patrice Cormier :shakehead
Exactly. What a ridiculous comparison. Ovechkin & Crosby are lighting it up against the best players in the world. Kessel is playing not bad, but not lighting it up against a bunch of kids.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
He has all the sense you need to score. He can flat out score and create. Sense is not a problem at all.

What he lacks is a desire to play in his own zone. He is not a liabilty and uses his speed to pick up forwards. Plays PK and looks fine. But he is not out there to keep the other team from scoring. He is out there to score. When he does try and put forth effort he is in the right place and doing the right thing. But he is always looking for the break out pass.

Maybe its age. Maturity or what. He has been passing more and using his teamates more. He is looking more and more like a complete player. I do not ever seeing him wearing a C and i doubt an A unless he is with a team for a while.

Kessel last year blew away the oppostion. He set intenational records. Some of those tournyes featured the likes of Crosby and Ovechkin. So he needed to get knocked around this year. It is maling him a much better all around player. Its very clear in just the 12 games he has played this year.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Sammy said:
Exactly. What a ridiculous comparison. Ovechkin & Crosby are lighting it up against the best players in the world. Kessel is playing not bad, but not lighting it up against a bunch of kids.

i know your point. But there are still some 24 and 25 year olds in college. Kessel is 18. Not exactly kids. Most nights Kessel is the youngest on the ice. He accelerated his schooling. He should be a HS senior. Not even a college studant.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I make no secret that I'm not a Kessel fan at all. IMO most of his points aren't made by impressive plays and kind of remind me of Alex Daigle in his draft year. I just don't think that he thinks the game on a level that Crosby does or on a star level for that matter. I don't think that he uses his team like he should and he has a very loud shot, if you know what I mean. I see more of a better version of Afinagenov than I do a Lafontaine or Perreault. Thats not to say that he doesn't have skill but he doesn't even come close to Crosby's sense as a 16 year old and IMO his high end is a little over-rated.

espo*

MN_Gopher said:
He has all the sense you need to score. He can flat out score and create. Sense is not a problem at all.

What he lacks is a desire to play in his own zone. He is not a liabilty and uses his speed to pick up forwards. Plays PK and looks fine. But he is not out there to keep the other team from scoring. He is out there to score. When he does try and put forth effort he is in the right place and doing the right thing. But he is always looking for the break out pass.

Maybe its age. Maturity or what. He has been passing more and using his teamates more. He is looking more and more like a complete player. I do not ever seeing him wearing a C and i doubt an A unless he is with a team for a while.

Kessel last year blew away the oppostion. He set intenational records. Some of those tournyes featured the likes of Crosby and Ovechkin. So he needed to get knocked around this year. It is maling him a much better all around player. Its very clear in just the 12 games he has played this year.

He does'nt see the ice like crosby,as much as i like Kessel's skills i can't see him outpointing Crosby in the nhl.I can see him scoring more goals though.But i think Crosby will always out-point him.

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
How many thread like that do we need. Seriously 2 years ago the peoples who writes on these board were a lot more objective and intelligent. Now, the only subject spoke are comparison between Crosby Ovechkin Malkin Kessel Esposito.......Yes they are good but there are a lot of other player to talk about

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I have seen both play on more than a couple of occasions and as I have said before, there is no comparison.

Crosby is a special player. He can excell in any type of game. Kessel is deadly when given space but is far less effective in a tight checking game.

Kessel needs open ice to make plays, Crosby can make a play anywhere, anytime. Crosby not only can handle the physical play but often initates it, throwing his weight around and battling in the corners. Kessel seems to wilt away the more physical the game becomes.

Crosby is 2 months older than Kessel, meaning there is no difference in their age.

Kessel has slightly better speed but Crosby is stronger on his skates.

Crosby will be a once in a generation talent. Kessel will be a very good NHL player.

Again, there is no comparison between the two.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Kessel last year blew away the oppostion. He set intenational records. Some of those tournyes featured the likes of Crosby and Ovechkin. So he needed to get knocked around this year. It is maling him a much better all around player. Its very clear in just the 12 games he has played this year.[/QUOTE]

Can you please point out the tourneys he "blew away the competition", set international records that featured Crosby & Ovechkin? Do you mean last season, or just that C & O had also been a part of those tourneys in the past?

Ovechkin dominated the U-18's at a younger age, Crosby was also an underager. Kessel scored that way last spring as a legit U-18 player in his draft year.

Sorry, but your comparison doesn't hold water to me.

Oh, and if Crosby & Brule had been available, there'd have been a different anthem being played at the U-18's. :D
Would have loved to see Crosby's point totals if he'd taken part.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Does he or does he not hold the scoring record for the u18s? There is no argument. And Crosby really blew him away in points at the u20s too i bet. On a better team.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
MN_Gopher said:
i know your point. But there are still some 24 and 25 year olds in college. Kessel is 18. Not exactly kids. Most nights Kessel is the youngest on the ice. He accelerated his schooling. He should be a HS senior. Not even a college studant.

24 and 25 year olds that never made it to the NHL, which means they're not very good, SC and OA are doing it against all ages that are in the NHL.

And I gotta think that most nights Crosby is the youngest player on the ice.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think any self-respecting hockey fan will acknowledge that Crosby is and always will be the superior player to Kessel, probably by a fair margin, however, I think a few people are selling Kessel short, and it's probably because they haven't seen him or are going off of secondary information that just doesn't tell the true story about him, his team, and the calibre of play of the NCAA, in particular the conference Minnesota is in.

I think everyone would benefit from refraining from comparing Kessel and Crosby and instead to concentrate on what Kessel does do well. He has exceptional speed, silky smooth hands, a cannon of a shot, and is a very good playmaker. He is not a banger nor does he play much defense. He's not going to be a player that makes the jump right away from college to the pros and be an automatic all-star. He's going to have to work on getting stronger and paying attention to his own zone. I think a couple years at Minnesota under Lucia will do him wonders, and by the time he does makes the NHL he'll be more well-rounded than he is now.

The way people talk around here he's done squat so far this year. In reality, he's well over a PPG and is a great weekend from being right at the top of the scoring leaders for college hockey. Pretty impressive for a freshman.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Sid the Kid is on pace for 101 points this year. No question in my mind he's rookie of the year. In comparison Mario had 100 in his rookie year, Gretzky had 137. And to me Crosby is going to tear up the league even more in the second half.

I remember a socut once saying that if you asked the GMs around the league who they would like more between Crosby or Kessel he said it would be 17-13 in favour of Crosby. That was before he was drafted or even played a game in the NHL. So even then Crosby had the edge. And he was slated to being the #1 overall pick since 2003, while Kessel isnt the clear cut favourite the way Sid was.

To me Crosby is going to be the best player in the NHL. Maybe by as early as next season. And he'll push for the Art Ross trophy THIS year. That's just my projection.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
therealdeal said:
24 and 25 year olds that never made it to the NHL, which means they're not very good, SC and OA are doing it against all ages that are in the NHL.

And I gotta think that most nights Crosby is the youngest player on the ice.

There's no doubt what Crosby (and Ovechkin) is doing is remarkable, but let's not overlook the fact that Kessel's path to the NHL is very differant than either of those two. Until he's on the same playing field, any comparisons between Kessel, Crosby, and Ovechkin are somewhat pointless.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I know that I mentioned that Crosby could hit 100 points this year because of Pittsburgh's offensive talent and I was basically laughed at, well it doesn't seem so funny now does it??? This kid is special, anyone that has ever seem him play should know that. Kessel has great speed, but IMO this is a one-sided comparison. IMO the only 2 prospects around his age that should be considered even in his league are Ovechkin and Malkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad