Olympics: Is America still in it? (Hockey?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Is America still in it and can someone please explain it to me?

3 way tie
Slovenia beat America, but they have a worse goal differencial.
Slovakia has a better goal differencial than america.

Very confused about whether or not America is still in medal contention.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
No teams are eliminated. Slovenia, USA, and Slovakia all play in the qualification round. Their standings just determine seeding. Qualification round winners advance to quarterfinals. Russia has a bye to the quarterfinals.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No teams are eliminated. Slovenia, USA, and Slovakia all play in the qualification round. Their standings just determine seeding. Qualification round winners advance to quarterfinals. Russia has a bye to the quarterfinals.

But how can 4 go on if they've already played their 3rd game?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
OK i've had it explained to me that Slovenia beats America and Slovakia via head to head goals.
And then America beats Slovakia because they won head to head.

So it's

Russia
Slovenia
America
Slovakia.

Is this correct?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
But how can 4 go on if they've already played their 3rd game?

There’s 12 teams in the tournament in 3 groups. The group winners, plus the top 2nd place team, all earn byes to the QFs. The remaining 8 teams will be paired off for qualification games. In the qualification games, the 4 losers are done and the 4 winners advance to the QFs to join the teams that had byes. In the QFs, the 4 teams that win their QF games advance to the SFs and the winners in the SFs play for gold while the losers play for bronze.

No one is yet eliminated from the tournament or medal contention.

Reactions: thadd

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
OK I'm sorry the commentators on NBC clearly miss-worded something which caused me to jump the gun. Mod can feel free to delete this.

Hubie

Jan 18, 2010
Finland
OK i've had it explained to me that Slovenia beats America and Slovakia via head to head goals.
And then America beats Slovakia because they won head to head.

So it's

Russia
Slovenia
America
Slovakia.

Is this correct?

The order is correct but it's not based on goals. Slovakia is out because they have 1 HtH point and the others have 4. Slovenia then beats USA because they won that game.

Reactions: thadd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->