Is #9 too high for Bourret?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Personally, I really want Bourret in Ottawa.

But I think #9 is a little high. If Ottawa makes a trade with the Rangers and acquires a 2nd rounder, what are the chances of him still being there at #16?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
TheCoach said:

But I think #9 is a little high. If Ottawa makes a trade with the Rangers and acquires a 2nd rounder, what are the chances of him still being there at #16?

What would Ottawa want to have the Rangers move down? The 41, I guess plus the 16? I woudl guess a 3rd rounder either this year or next also would need to be added or a lower level prospect.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Reveille! said:
What would Ottawa want to have the Rangers move down? The 41, I guess plus the 16? I woudl guess a 3rd rounder either this year or next also would need to be added or a lower level prospect.

Since the Rangers have 3 second rounders, 1 or 2 of those would have to be included.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its purely posturing, I think he wants Skille to fall to 9th. I think he is worried that Chicago might take him and they lack goaltending depth. Price makes the least sense for the sens at this point. Ottawa has a tone of goaltending depth. Emery, Glass, Thompson, Guard, Mole.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
bert said:
Its purely posturing, I think he wants Skille to fall to 9th. I think he is worried that Chicago might take him and they lack goaltending depth. Price makes the least sense for the sens at this point. Ottawa has a tone of goaltending depth. Emery, Glass, Thompson, Guard, Mole.

Skille should still be there at #9. Its just my opinion but he isnt a top 10 pick talent wise. He does all sorts of things well but I just dont see a high offensive cieling for him. I know ill probably get flammed but its my opinion.

If CHI picks him at 7 thats a huge mistake.

Ottawa has A LOT of goaltendersw but none are bluechip types. Glass is the best of that bunch and he played with a great defensive team i dont think he has #1 upside.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
bert said:

but muckler learned from glen sather so whether or not he needs a goalie might not matter lol

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
I'd say no, not really. Only thing that has him out fo top ten is lack of height, but if your like me and don't give a rats ass as long as the guy is over 5'10 its fine to me! He has all the skills and is very strong!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
bert said:

How exactly is posturing going to put pressure on Chicago? They pick before Ottawa. Muckler can dance about wearing a tutu with Price's picture and love hearts on it and it still won't make any difference. Chicago can take who ever they like. It might work on a team with a worse pick than Ottawa that wants Price and is forced to move up.

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
TheCoach said:

I think we should pick him at #9. I believe he is the exact type of forward that we need. He's gritty and tough with great offensive skills as well.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I don't think its too high.

Mckeens (hopefully alright to say) has him at number 6 in their final draft rankings.

Raffi Torres was drafted 5th overall in 2000, and he's a very similar player to Bourret (with Bourret being a better playmaker and Torres the better goalscorer IMO).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
La-La-Laprise said:
Skille should still be there at #9. Its just my opinion but he isnt a top 10 pick talent wise. He does all sorts of things well but I just dont see a high offensive cieling for him. I know ill probably get flammed but its my opinion.

If CHI picks him at 7 thats a huge mistake.

Ottawa has A LOT of goaltendersw but none are bluechip types. Glass is the best of that bunch and he played with a great defensive team i dont think he has #1 upside.

I'm not going to flame you, but I think you're a little off in your estimation of Skille's potential. He hasn't had the chance to run with the top guns on the U.S. U18 team, and I think that skews his production a bit. Personally, I think he has the makings of an excellent NHL power forward (in the Bill Guerin mold) who makes use of his outstanding strength, speed, and shot. He also is more creative with the puck than given credit for and never quits on the puck. I think that is EXACTLY the type of player Ottawa in particular could use in its system.

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not going to flame you, but I think you're a little off in your estimation of Skille's potential. He hasn't had the chance to run with the top guns on the U.S. U18 team, and I think that skews his production a bit. Personally, I think he has the makes of an excellent NHL power forward (in the Bill Guerin mold) who makes use of his outstanding strength, speed, and shot. He also is more creative with the puck than given credit for and never quits on the puck. I think that is EXACTLY the type of player Ottawa in particular could use in its system.

Bourret is a quicker, more aggresive, better hitting, more offensive version of Skille. Only problem is Bourret is 5'10 and Skille is 6'02.

I agree Skille will be a power forward type in the NHL but i dont think he will be anymore than a solid 2nd liner or a VERY good 3rd line player.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
La-La-Laprise said:
Bourret is a quicker, more aggresive, better hitting, more offensive version of Skille. Only problem is Bourret is 5'10 and Skille is 6'02.

I agree Skille will be a power forward type in the NHL but i dont think he will be anymore than a solid 2nd liner or a VERY good 3rd line player.

I guess we'll agree to disagree, which is the beauty of these types of discussions. I think Skille will open a few more eyes next year at Wisconsin.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Rabid Ranger said:
I guess we'll agree to disagree, which is the beauty of these types of discussions. I think Skille will open a few more eyes next year at Wisconsin.

Exactly :) I think he will be a solid player but I see him more as a 12-15th overall. I dont think he will drop that low though.

hockeyfan42

Jun 8, 2005
Lewiston, ME USA
Nine isn't too high for Bourret. I think there have been more threads about him than anyone but Crosby. If a team is willing to take a chance with his immaturity, they may as well take him first round regardless of number. Whoever takes him better be prepared to tell him where the buck stops.

Bourret is highly talented...highly volitaille...on and off the ice his nickname should be "Nitro" Powerful and highly effective when used properly but highly unstabe and needs to be handled very carefully whether or not in use.

Ottowa could get a lot of talent cheap.

boby

Oct 3, 2004
hockeyfan42 said:
Nine isn't too high for Bourret. I think there have been more threads about him than anyone but Crosby. If a team is willing to take a chance with his immaturity, they may as well take him first round regardless of number. Whoever takes him better be prepared to tell him where the buck stops.

Bourret is highly talented...highly volitaille...on and off the ice his nickname should be "Nitro" Powerful and highly effective when used properly but highly unstabe and needs to be handled very carefully whether or not in use.

Ottowa could get a lot of talent cheap.

That is caracter,to many time with the players 2000-2005 the guys on ice don't have a caracter and yes if you have a caracter on ice you have a good chance to have that out side the rink,no probleme with that.I understand you is not very happy because he was traded for Shawinigan,but this year bouurret mist you, :dunno:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
boby said:
That is caracter,to many time with the players 2000-2005 the guys on ice don't have a caracter and yes if you have a caracter on ice you have a good chance to have that out side the rink,no probleme with that.I understand you is not very happy because he was traded for Shawinigan,but this year bouurret mist you, :dunno:

According to some people Bourret wasnt happy being traded to Shawi.

If there is 1 knock on Bourret its his attitude. Thats common knowledege if youve followed the Q the last 3 years.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Bourret could drop like Schremp last year... but then again if Muckler is in love with the guy 9 is not too high. It's better to get your man than risk someone else taking him. Remember Wheeler? There was a good reason the Yotes never traded down.

hockeyfan42

Jun 8, 2005
Lewiston, ME USA
boby said:
Bourret being traded has nothing to do with my analysis. He's got the talent. I wrote going in the first nine is not too early. On another thread I wrote he is NHL capable this year. At least physically. The only reason he wouldn't go that early would be because of his attitude. Or at least the league's belief about his attitude. I said a team will have to take a chance on his maturity and attitude is because that is his only downside.

Personally, I really hope the kid matures, gets picked early and does well for himself. I would love nothing more than to see him succeed. But the knock on his attitude does have merit. It wasn't one disagreement with someone in the organization one time. It was far too common. If his reaction to going to Shawinigan is close to what some have heard, he still needs to mature.

To be positive for a moment, his attitude issues did not affect his fan relations. He was a fan favorite and was always accomodating when they approached him.

You are right body, as a fan, I will certainly miss watching him play :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->