Irving or Varlamov

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
redwingsfan

Since you saw him enough to have a good picture can you tell me what you think of his positionning. The few times I've seen him, while his lower coverage seemed almost perfect, It often seems like he was vulnerable upstair.:dunno:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
After watching all four over a half dozen times each, I came to the following conclusion... You can't go wrong with either of the four, as they could all become bonafide starting goalies in the NHL.. or they could all struggle to gain their spot in the NHL.

A break down on the

Pure Athleticism: Varlamov, Helenius, Bernier, Irving

Pure Reflexes: Varlamov, Irving, Helenius, Bernier

Mental Game, anticipation ect: Leland Irving, Helenius, Bernier, Varlamov

Positioning: Bernier, Helenius, Irving, Varlamov

Rebound Control: Helenius,Bernier,Irving,Varlamov (all are very close and have superb rebound control.)

Legs: Riku Helenius, Varlamov, Bernier, Irving

Glove: Varlamov, Helenius, Irving, Bernier

Blocker: Irving, Varlamov, Helenius, Bernier

First Save: Helenius, Bernier, Varlamov, Irving

Second Save: Varlamov, Irving, Helenius, Bernier

Stickhandling/ Passing, playing the puck: Bernier, Irving, Helenius, Varlamov

They all have the ability to steal a game, I like them all and in the end the gap between all four is very very slim.

Im guessing you like Bernier the least. I've never seen him play, i mean UK t.v loves QJMHL. From what i've read etc i thought he was the best netminder available in the draft.
Varlamov seems to be the most raw, but is physically the most gifted. Seems like more of a risk than Irving.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Im guessing you like Bernier the least. I've never seen him play, i mean UK t.v loves QJMHL. From what i've read etc i thought he was the best netminder available in the draft.
Varlamov seems to be the most raw, but is physically the most gifted. Seems like more of a risk than Irving.

That's what I could deduct from the few I've seen... but I just ask to be convinced otherwise

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
redwingsfan

Since you saw him enough to have a good picture can you tell me what you think of his positionning. The few times I've seen him, while his lower coverage seemed almost perfect, It often seems like he was vulnerable upstair.:dunno:

he may not have the best positioning of those four goalies. but he has the most talent. and he has a lot of time to work on his positioning. he may need a little better stickhandling as well. but he has amazing reflexes and his glove hand is also very very good. he also need some work on his style. i think thats why he gets out of position sometimes. the goalie coaches in russia are not very good. so he will need to get to north america as soon as possible and work with someone who can give him some good advice. i think in about four years he will be the starting goalie for the capitals..

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
So in your eyes Varlamov's "weakneses" are things that can be taught??

How is the Mental aspect of the game something that can be taught?

I like Irving as the best goalie of this draft for his mental game. While he may not have the stickhandling that some of the others do, this can be taught. Irving has proven time and again that he has the mental toughness to fight through adversity. Barring any major injury (*knock on wood*) he will pan out the best for that reason.

Another reason I wouldn't touch Varlamov is the problems with the russian transfer agreement. A player is only an asset when it's easy to get him into your system. I think the pens will find out the hard way about that. :(

punkorama

Aug 3, 2003
The Moon&Antarctica
I will start off by saying I live very close to Everett where the silvertips play.

Leland Irving was the ONLY reason the tips did so well this year. He made alot of saves he had no right to make and played very well down the stretch and into the playoffs. He will be a great NHL goalie.

Varlamov i have never seen, I'm anxious to see this kid when he gets to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->