Irving or Varlamov

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Irving is the best goalie from the 06 draft, and I think he will emerge as the best in a few years as well.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
FYI, I have never seen more athlectic young goalie with better reaction than Varlamov.

Have you seen Bernier... cause That's exactly how I would describe him:dunno:

Edit: between the two I'd probably take Varlamov

Last edited:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
is my avatar showing to you guys??? and why is rosie a pre-defined avatar as well? :biglaugh:

fong p88

Jul 24, 2006
Saskatchewan
irving is a safer pick i feel and i see varlamov as being a khabibulin type, not the same style but he will have the talent of khabibulin but will probably be as incosistent as him, id go with leland

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
As a caps fan, I'm going to have to say Varlamov. But I havent seen any clips of Irving so this is doubly biased. I will say that in the varlamov clip he looked very quick, seemed to have a nice glovehand, and looked like he reacted well.

But... I don't know what to look for when watching scouting videos, let alone a goalie (a position i've never played). SO if any of you want to give me tips on what to watch for goalies, or in general that'd be great.

In conclusion, this post has the dreaded trifecta:
1) Homer bias
2) Only seeing one side of the argument
3) Not knowing what I'm doing.

Maybe just disregard it all together

X-SHARKIE

After watching all four over a half dozen times each, I came to the following conclusion... You can't go wrong with either of the four, as they could all become bonafide starting goalies in the NHL.. or they could all struggle to gain their spot in the NHL.

A break down on the

Pure Athleticism: Varlamov, Helenius, Bernier, Irving

Pure Reflexes: Varlamov, Irving, Helenius, Bernier

Mental Game, anticipation ect: Leland Irving, Helenius, Bernier, Varlamov

Positioning: Bernier, Helenius, Irving, Varlamov

Rebound Control: Helenius,Bernier,Irving,Varlamov (all are very close and have superb rebound control.)

Legs: Riku Helenius, Varlamov, Bernier, Irving

Glove: Varlamov, Helenius, Irving, Bernier

Blocker: Irving, Varlamov, Helenius, Bernier

First Save: Helenius, Bernier, Varlamov, Irving

Second Save: Varlamov, Irving, Helenius, Bernier

Stickhandling/ Passing, playing the puck: Bernier, Irving, Helenius, Varlamov

They all have the ability to steal a game, I like them all and in the end the gap between all four is very very slim.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
After watching all four over a half dozen times each, I came to the following conclusion... You can't go wrong with either of the four, as they could all become bonafide starting goalies in the NHL.. or they could all struggle to gain their spot in the NHL.

A break down on the

Pure Athleticism: Varlamov, Helenius, Bernier, Irving

Pure Reflexes: Varlamov, Irving, Helenius, Bernier

Mental Game, anticipation ect: Leland Irving, Helenius, Bernier, Varlamov

Positioning: Bernier, Helenius, Irving, Varlamov

Rebound Control: Helenius,Bernier,Irving,Varlamov (all are very close and have superb rebound control.)

Legs: Riku Helenius, Varlamov, Bernier, Irving

Glove: Varlamov, Helenius, Irving, Bernier

Blocker: Irving, Varlamov, Helenius, Bernier

First Save: Helenius, Bernier, Varlamov, Irving

Second Save: Varlamov, Irving, Helenius, Bernier

Stickhandling/ Passing, playing the puck: Bernier, Irving, Helenius, Varlamov

They all have the ability to steal a game, I like them all and in the end the gap between all four is very very slim.

So in your eyes Varlamov's "weakneses" are things that can be taught?? Maybe that's why Prior's drooling over working with him? :dunno:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
the reason why most of you pick irving over varlamov is because you have probably not seen varlamov play. well i have and i must say that i think he will be one of the best goalies in the nhl and he is clearly the best goalie in this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad