Interview with Ian Turnbull

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
http://www.sportsprofilesplus.com/Magazine/WeeklyFeatures/NHL2.htm

Found this on another site but thought it merited discussion here.

Turnbull, former Maple Leaf and LA Kings defenseman, is the Secretary Treasurer and Alternate President of the Los Angeles Kings Alumni Association.

Here's a fine quote from him:
"As we speak, there's a lockout that has gone from bad to worse. Almost 100 years of hockey history potentially going down the drain. For the sake of the history of the game, you would think that the owners and players would be able to hash out a deal. This is not new ground; the issues have been festering for years. The owners cut a bad deal on the last CBA (collective bargaining agreement) and they allowed salaries to skyrocket, to a point where there is no financial viability. Their problem? You bet. But they lived up to the letter of that CBA and that agreement expired. New deal, time for the (players' union) to acknowledge that the pendulum has swung.

I seriously doubt that there will be any current NHL players using food stamps at the grocery store line because the average salary dropped from $1.8 million to $1.4 million (a reduction proposed by the owners). They (the players) already sent a strong message: We'll go play in other leagues for a fraction of the money we could make in the NHL, but we won't play in the NHL for more money than we can get anywhere else. Go figure."

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It seems like all the guys who once played in the NHL seem to understand the current situation, but the current PA membership, being led by Bobby G either don't get it, or are too scared to say so...just cut a deal Bob, and get on with it, if the fans and sponsors and TV all come back in the next year or two, then you're cap will go up and so will the wages that go with it...The NHL needs to somewhat re-invent itself and it needs the owners and players to be on the same page to do so...but with the current leadership on both sides that will not take place, Bob and Gary just cannot admit they need each other...therin lies the problem! Fire these two clowns, and get on with it...

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
As a hockey fan, I'm glad the players are greedy, I'm glad they are blindly clinging to union catechism (i.e. we got everything we have by fighting so we must fight on), and I'm glad no one's negotiating in good faith.

As a fan.

The owners want us to believe that, if they win, the fans win.

Wrong.

An owners' victory in the labor war can ruin the sport for hockey fans.

The owners represent the league and dictate to Gary Bettman. That includes two connected issues: 1. The expansion/migration of the league to the southern belt of the U.S. for the purpose of maximizing profit via national television; 2. The fallout in the game itself from the potential success of that effort.

We, as hockey fans, are terribly naive to think that the same businessmen who sold out the good fans of Hartford, Quebec and Winnipeg aren't going to sell out the game itself -- 2 halves instead of 3 periods; the shootout replacing overtime IN THE STANLEY CUP; and any manner of gutting of the game's honored and cherished traditions, if it means billions instead of millions down the road.

The right and wrong of this whole thing is not the players vs. the owners. It's the game and the people who love it against the stewards who would corrupt it for their own selfish gain.

The best outcome, albeit a painful one, is if the lockout continues past a second season, sees the folding of franchises wherever viable business only comes with a trip to the Cup finals (i.e. the Southeast for starters), and the NHL comes crawling back to hockey fans.

They want to be a National Hockey League, moving the National from Canada to the U.S. If they insist on making the most of the great influx of Euro talent from the last 20 years, put a division in Europe. At least hockey fans will have the hockey and we won't have to worry about the future of the game we love.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I always wondered what happened to Ian Turnball .

dont seem to hear from him so far as ''former leaf'' chatter goes.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
getnziggywidit said:
http://www.sportsprofilesplus.com/Magazine/WeeklyFeatures/NHL2.htm

Found this on another site but thought it merited discussion here.

Turnbull, former Maple Leaf and LA Kings defenseman, is the Secretary Treasurer and Alternate President of the Los Angeles Kings Alumni Association.

Here's a fine quote from him:
"As we speak, there's a lockout that has gone from bad to worse. Almost 100 years of hockey history potentially going down the drain. For the sake of the history of the game, you would think that the owners and players would be able to hash out a deal. This is not new ground; the issues have been festering for years. The owners cut a bad deal on the last CBA (collective bargaining agreement) and they allowed salaries to skyrocket, to a point where there is no financial viability. Their problem? You bet. But they lived up to the letter of that CBA and that agreement expired. New deal, time for the (players' union) to acknowledge that the pendulum has swung.

I seriously doubt that there will be any current NHL players using food stamps at the grocery store line because the average salary dropped from $1.8 million to $1.4 million (a reduction proposed by the owners). They (the players) already sent a strong message: We'll go play in other leagues for a fraction of the money we could make in the NHL, but we won't play in the NHL for more money than we can get anywhere else. Go figure."

Nice summation by the old five goals in a game defenceman... the NHL screwed up big time last time, but the fact is they have paid the piper for that error, and the NHLPA is in tough if they think they are going to carve themselves that beefy a chunk of flesh again....

Captain Leaf

chiavsfan said:
Last I checked Winnepeg and Quebec were bought out by other areas...thats not the NHL's fault.

And how do you know that any of the rules you proposed are going to be implemented, you don't.

You are partly correct .Winnipeg owner Barry Shenkrow tried desperately to find local ownership but no one stepped up .Quebec on the othe hand sold the Nords for big US dollars never giving local ownership a chance .This is why Marcel Aubut is still the most hated man in Quebec .

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
doc5hole said:
As a hockey fan, I'm glad the players are greedy, I'm glad they are blindly clinging to union catechism (i.e. we got everything we have by fighting so we must fight on), and I'm glad no one's negotiating in good faith.

As a fan.

The owners want us to believe that, if they win, the fans win.

Wrong.

An owners' victory in the labor war can ruin the sport for hockey fans.

The owners represent the league and dictate to Gary Bettman. That includes two connected issues: 1. The expansion/migration of the league to the southern belt of the U.S. for the purpose of maximizing profit via national television; 2. The fallout in the game itself from the potential success of that effort.

We, as hockey fans, are terribly naive to think that the same businessmen who sold out the good fans of Hartford, Quebec and Winnipeg aren't going to sell out the game itself -- 2 halves instead of 3 periods; the shootout replacing overtime IN THE STANLEY CUP; and any manner of gutting of the game's honored and cherished traditions, if it means billions instead of millions down the road.

The right and wrong of this whole thing is not the players vs. the owners. It's the game and the people who love it against the stewards who would corrupt it for their own selfish gain.

The best outcome, albeit a painful one, is if the lockout continues past a second season, sees the folding of franchises wherever viable business only comes with a trip to the Cup finals (i.e. the Southeast for starters), and the NHL comes crawling back to hockey fans.

They want to be a National Hockey League, moving the National from Canada to the U.S. If they insist on making the most of the great influx of Euro talent from the last 20 years, put a division in Europe. At least hockey fans will have the hockey and we won't have to worry about the future of the game we love.

To me, you're mixing apples and oranges and even pears.

The only chance any of those areas have of getting their teams back would be a salary cap (some form anyway, or a luxury tax).

The NHL owners are not one block group, they are divided into megarich, rich and small market.

The small market and medium rich owners are taking a stand. I like how the thing is shaping up. If done right, it will save the league in the long run and preserve competition without levelling everything out to mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->