Interview and meeting with Uwe Krupp

EurolancheDavid

Full interview >>> http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=9001

First question, where is the puck?

I think the puck is with Pierre Lacroix. I think I’ve heard the puck somehow ended up with Pierre after we scored the goal. That’s the last I’ve heard of it. If he doesn’t have it, then it’s gone.

uwe_krupp_meeting_eurolanche%20(2).JPG

Do you have any advice for the current Avalanche team?

It’s really hard when you keep losing, because everyone focuses on the negatives. The fans want to see the team win, they want to support a winning team. There are a lot of aspects of running an NHL team. On one hand, they’re going through a really difficult time, but on the other hand, it’s a great opportunity, an opportunity to rebuild your team through the draft if you’re in the position to make a good pick or multiple picks at the draft. If you take a look back on how the Avalanche won their first Stanley Cup, you’ll see that it was thanks to the draft, as the Nordiques had a number of bad seasons. If you ask Joe, being part of the Nordiques was hard. I think that the Avalanche will continue to go through tough times, but the guys that are maturing, for example MacKinnon, Duchene or Landeskog, will come together. There needs to be a group of guys that’ll come together and learn how to win games. You’ve seen how talented they are, they did a great job with Patty behind the bench and now these guys are maturing together and will learn how to win games. You have to lose some games in order to elevate your game and your overall performance to become a successful team. The ’95-’96 Avalanche went through some difficult times while still in Quebec before the franchise relocated and people tend to forget that. The second Stanley Cup-winning team was different, because Pierre assembled a team with the goal of winning it all. The team that won the first Cup was a team that was assembled through the draft and through the Lindros trade. There are different roads to success. I’m still rooting for them, because they’re still my team. I wish them all the best. I would love to see them succeed again.

Is there a chance you might return to the Avalanche one day?

Right now, I’m coaching in Germany. The road coaches take isn’t as linear as those of the players. As a player, you move on when you’re good – from the juniors until reaching the pros. You work your way through. As a player, you have an idea where your road’s going to take you, but being a coach is very different. You have a job, you keep that job for a while, but it’s very time-limited. Usually, another opportunity opens up afterwards, so timing is very crucial. Whenever I was or am in contact with Colorado, I’m generally under contract somewhere and I’d like to say that I’m on a certain quest, on a certain mission. Here in Berlin, we have big goals. There’s a vision – to make the team as successful as it was in the past. That’s something that’s my priority right now. I obviously watch what’s going on there and I’d be honored if I would get a phone call to help out in any form or way. As I’ve already said, it’s not something you can predict so easily. My heart’s over there, so if anyone would ask for my help, I’d be very honored and would do everything to help. Hockey is a big business and you can help out in many ways – player development, coaching, scouting etc. But right now, I’ve got a job here and Berlin is a great place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad