Intersting VERSUS HD Note

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Of the three networks airing the Vancouver/Anaheim game tonight, only 1 is airing it in HD: VERSUS.

I remember when their HD coverage was considered poor and not enough. Now, they have every playoff game that they produce in HD.

And yes, VERSUS will air the games that are being played in Canada in that series in HD as well. CBC will not do the same for the games in Orange County.

Good for them.

edmontonoilers89

Dec 29, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
Versus's HD coverage is actually very good. I don't live in the states so I don't get Versus but sometimes when they show the Versus feed on TSN, it looks great in HD. CBC by far has the worst HD quality. I'm not an expert in HD and resolutions but I'm wondering whether I'm the only one who notices that NBC, Versus, TSN, etc. have hockey in HD better than CBC.

Anyways, good for Versus. Their hockey coverage has been great.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
yeah I'm puzzled as to why CBC feels it can drive it's HD truck between Ottawa and New Jersey but not Vancouver and Anaheim. Sure it's a shorter distance, but either one is easily doable with the day off in between. In one case there's even 2 days off.

devils26

Nov 29, 2006
Westchester, NY
Versus's HD coverage is actually very good. I don't live in the states so I don't get Versus but sometimes when they show the Versus feed on TSN, it looks great in HD. CBC by far has the worst HD quality. I'm not an expert in HD and resolutions but I'm wondering whether I'm the only one who notices that NBC, Versus, TSN, etc. have hockey in HD better than CBC.

It could be because there are certain degrees of high definition. By this I mean that the CBC hockey in HD could still be of a lower resolution than the other channels that have hockey in HD. However, the resolution of both channels is high enough for it to be considered HD, but some channels could be on the higher end of the spectrum for HD, while other channels could be on the lower end of the HD spectrum.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Do Versus / CBC / TSN post online highlights in HD? They have HD computer monitors, HD video games, so why not HD online streaming and highlights?

I can't check myself, because I odn't have an HD TV or computer monitor.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It could be because there are certain degrees of high definition. By this I mean that the CBC hockey in HD could still be of a lower resolution than the other channels that have hockey in HD. However, the resolution of both channels is high enough for it to be considered HD, but some channels could be on the higher end of the spectrum for HD, while other channels could be on the lower end of the HD spectrum.

My guess that is that is right. To add since CBC is a government owned channel they probably use a lower resolution which I would guess is cheaper.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Do Versus / CBC / TSN post online highlights in HD? They have HD computer monitors, HD video games, so why not HD online streaming and highlights?

I can't check myself, because I odn't have an HD TV or computer monitor.

For the record, your computer monitor IS capable of HD resolutions(every modern monitor is, thus why you can hook an Xbox 360 up to a monitor using the VGA cable and get HD)

There is no online streaming in HD simply because of the bandwidth that would be needed, both on the NHL/VS side and the end users.

Any one of us can download HD video and watch it on our computer as long as we either have the quicktime or windows media HD codecs.

Badger Bob

The league needs to reevaluate the blackout rule. NHL Center Ice customers should have the option to watch whatever feed they wish. Further, fans should have be allowed to view 1080 content on INHD and HDNet, even if conflicts with local coverage. As emphasis as possible should be placed on hi def access for any available games. NBC-HD's work, to be fair, is top notch.

pavvento

Jan 20, 2007
The fact that I live in Ny, a big time city and can't watch hockey in HD except for home games is crap. We don't get Versus HD, when Center Ice has games in HD we can't get those, and MSG is too dam cheap and they don't do away Ranger games in HD. So, after the lockout they said HD is really going to help the NHL, how many people, at least in the states, are able to consistantly watch hockey in HD?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The league needs to reevaluate the blackout rule. NHL Center Ice customers should have the option to watch whatever feed they wish. Further, fans should have be allowed to view 1080 content on INHD and HDNet, even if conflicts with local coverage. As emphasis as possible should be placed on hi def access for any available games. NBC-HD's work, to be fair, is top notch.

And see the all the local tv money go right down the tube. The blackouts are there to protect the networks TV ratings.

bayrider

Jun 4, 2006
Montreal

I've noticed that too. The HD quality on VS and NBC is far more superior than CBC and even TSN.

But it's annoying being in Los Angeles area. Anaheim games on VS, which also show some HD games, are ALWAYS blocked out with exception to game 1 of the Ducks-Canucks series, which I think they left unblocked by mistake.

Even in the regular season Ducks HD games are blacked out. Doesn't FSNW/FSNPT show Ducks games in HD or are they the HD feeds of the opposing team's RSN?

cecilnyr

Jun 28, 2005
Well, I wanted to watch the Vancouver - Anaheim game in HD last night (5/3) which VS produced but it was not available on the VS HD channel through Comcast.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Well, I wanted to watch the Vancouver - Anaheim game in HD last night (5/3) which VS produced but it was not available on the VS HD channel through Comcast.

Same here... for game 5 of that series VS/GLF HD was showing golf programming, and they've occasionally given golf the precendent over NHL playoff games on that channel. However, when this happens the games would sometimes be shown in HD on INHD/Mojo... last night it didn't appear to be the case but I did see the game on there a bit later, tape delayed.

I'm have zero interest in golf so I couldn't tell you the significance of what was being covered, but I can only hope it was significant and live coverage of an event if it is going to preempt live coverage of an NHL playoff game.

EDIT: Same deal for tonights Buf/NYR game. Golf on Vs/GLF HD while the tape delayed HD version of the game is scheduled to air later on INHD/Mojo...

Last edited:

sharksfansd

Dec 31, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Golf on Vs/GLF HD while the tape delayed HD version of the game is scheduled to air later on INHD/Mojo...

I missed most of the BUF/NYR game, so glad you mentioned the tape delay of the INHD/mojo feed tonight. I didn't think they were showing any more games and stopped checking the schedule.

I hope the distribution of the VS HD channel expands to more cable systems before the fall. I have Time Warner cable here in San Diego and don't get it, but I have been watching the Warriors games in HD on ESPN HD and TNT in HD. I think every single NBA playoff game has been in HD, but I will have to settle for weekend games on NBC to get the high def. :shakehead

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
CBC was showing ANA/VAn series in HD!

I like it but I love NBC's and TSN's.

DOnt' knwo much abotu Versus!

Silver

Mar 23, 2002
California
Visit site
Versus looks good in HD, better than NBC. I'm not a video engineer, but it looks to me like NBC is using a ton of compression. It's pretty easy to see compression artifacts on the ice.

HDNet is amazing. Nothing on tv, with perhaps the exception of some stuff on Discovery HD looks better than an HDNet hockey game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->