Internet Speed

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
To clarify... The primary differences between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies are range and bandwidth. 5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance, whereas 2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds.

The other big difference is congestion - there are a lot more 2.4GHz devices out there.

2.4GHz was basically unusable in my condo, even 5 ft and one wall away I would sometimes get < 1-2 Mbs. Using a wifi analyzer app on my phone I could see that there were multiple networks (sometimes 20-30+) in use on all of the 2.4GHz channels (1,6,11, and most of the others). The 5GHz channels were largely empty.

I upgraded to an 2.4GHz/5GHz 801.3ac router - clear sailing on 5GHz - my full ISP 30Mbs in most of my unit and >400Mbs LAN bandwidth.

Lockheed

Scope Dope
Feb 1, 2007
SW Asia
Data cap sounds just a ridiculous thing.

Sure is.

I pay $145.99 for 500 GB. Thankfully the wife and I rarely get close to that.

There are two other providers in town who offer slower speeds(still plenty fast for me) and no caps but they don't service my neighborhood.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I just got notification from Comcast that they were more than doubling the download speed of my plan from 25 to 55 Mbs with no increase in price ($39.95/mo) - my speed test measured numbers went up from ~30 Mbs to ~65 Mbs.

Looking around in the fine print I noticed that they instituted monthly data caps - 1 TB per month plus $10 per 50 GB of overage. Not a big problem - my monthly usage has only been ~400-450 GB per month.

BigMac1212

Registered Insominac
I finally got on the 5.0 GHz network on my cable modem. So I went to Speedtest.net to try it out:

6331711921.png

Not yet 300Mbps, but getting there.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Got a new modem. Can't post cause I'm on mobile but my down is 300/30. Used to be 100/30

Lesson is. Get your own modem don't use the one the ISP gives you :laugh:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Gigabit internet just became available in my area :D

It was awesome dumping Comcast who had a monopoly in my area for the past 10+ years. When I went to drop the equipment off at the local Comcast office they told me "I should have called, they would have done anything to keep me." I laughed and said, "I've been a loyal customer for 10 years and never received any good discounts. Whenever I'd call and say I wanted a better price, I wouldn't get a better price but be offered things I don't want for free because you knew I had nowhere else to go. You better believe I'm not even giving you a chance to keep me after you've given me nothing of value for being such a loyal customer..." Not to mention my bill is almost half the price and the internet speed is 6x faster than what I was paying for before...

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden

Pretty good, my router (Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato custom firmwire) is very old but still very stable and reliable.
It can only handle 54 mbit on the wan port and I also had a 1080p youtube video running which obviously steals some bandwidth.

372.jpg

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I installed a dual band network card in my laptop yesterday to finally be able to use the 5ghz channels with my router. I live in an apartment and the 2.4ghz channels are crowded.

I'm actually getting the speeds I'm paying for on my laptop now.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Didn't read through this whole thread but Christ almighty my speed sucks lol. Any other saskatchewanites PO'd at Sask Tel prices?
I'm paying 45$ for 1.5 download and 0.18 upload. It's pretty much useless. I hate Sask Tel.

Tbf to Sask Tel though, they don't have usage based billing which is nice. Price still isn't right though.

Moved. Now getting 31 MB download and 20 MB upload. 50 ping. Very nice compares to before.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton

weird upload is slightly faster than download but whatever.

Oh man, you've got the new Telus Fibre optic stuff eh?

They haven't got to my neighborhood yet, but they say I'll have access sometime later this year. As a gamer, I am so jealous of your upload.

I'm currently with Shaw and have their 150 down, 10 (or 15?) up. It's pretty decent, and it actually usually tests as around 170 down, and 20 up so the fact that they're over performing makes me pretty happy.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Oh man, you've got the new Telus Fibre optic stuff eh?

They haven't got to my neighborhood yet, but they say I'll have access sometime later this year. As a gamer, I am so jealous of your upload.

I'm currently with Shaw and have their 150 down, 10 (or 15?) up. It's pretty decent, and it actually usually tests as around 170 down, and 20 up so the fact that they're over performing makes me pretty happy.

Yeah, had Shaw for probably 25 years but I moved into a new place here in Kelowna and decided to try Telus. With the top end Shaw internet I was getting about the same as you are but I am getting much better speeds with Telus and I got the free 4k TV with it as well (will be giving it away anyhow). The fibre cable is super fragile though, I broke it the first week just moving my stuff around and they had to come fix it, but was able to book an appointment for the next day, Shaw appointments are usually a week out. I get better speeds through Vancouver than Kelowna which seems odd but I dont know much about this stuff.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Im jealous of all these numbers. My neighborhood is like the one neighborhood in Saskatoon that doesn't have Fiber yet.... get like 600kbs download speed :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->