OT: International (legal) Streaming?

BFDBFD

Oct 9, 2007
Luanda, Angola
Hi folks, I apologize if this has been asked before, but I hope someone has up to date information.

I'm currently (happily!) stuck in Bangkok for the foreseeable future. I want to pull the trigger on NHL.tv (or any other subscription that people would vouch for). The thing is, I have no idea what sort of blackouts would apply to someone in Southeast Asia.

I've had a subscription before (from Angola) and was able to watch everything no problem. However, I have noticed an emphasis on reminding us about blackouts when I go to the site to sign up -- just wondering if anything has changed that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the OT-ish post!

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
You should be good to go. The games are only blacked out if they're available locally or nationally on TV in your area.

I'll be picking up NHL.tv for the Playoffs. Living in Germany, it only costs $20 which is more than worth it.

BFDBFD

Oct 9, 2007
Luanda, Angola
You should be good to go. The games are only blacked out if they're available locally or nationally on TV in your area.

I'll be picking up NHL.tv for the Playoffs. Living in Germany, it only costs $20 which is more than worth it.

Cheers! You're right, it's not a big investment so I might as well pay for it and then see if I need to find 'alternatives' later.

Reactions: Trizent

BFDBFD

Oct 9, 2007
Luanda, Angola
Alternatively, head to the Sportsman (Sukhumvit 13).

Always a good idea (since I'm living at the Mercure on soi 19), but I often like to watch the games on my own time -- will definitely head there for an Oil game this upcoming month, though. If you're around, send me a message!

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Hi folks, I apologize if this has been asked before, but I hope someone has up to date information.

I'm currently (happily!) stuck in Bangkok for the foreseeable future. I want to pull the trigger on NHL.tv (or any other subscription that people would vouch for). The thing is, I have no idea what sort of blackouts would apply to someone in Southeast Asia.

I've had a subscription before (from Angola) and was able to watch everything no problem. However, I have noticed an emphasis on reminding us about blackouts when I go to the site to sign up -- just wondering if anything has changed that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the OT-ish post!

You too? That's so cool. I'm here in Bangkok until I think around Sept 5th, and then I'll probably head back to Canada or to Europe. I haven't decided. Covid seems to be spreading again, so it may be time just to head back to Canada with my tail between my legs. Totally off topic - you here on tourist amnesty? I'm actually quite close as well, I'm at sukhumvit 22 these days.

Back to hockey - I was thinking the same thing - what sort of blackouts would we get here in SEA. I would assume none since there are no locally available NHL games. The $20 deal is just too good to pass up.

I'll say one thing it's going to be weird A.F watching hockey with my morning coffee ;)

BFDBFD

Oct 9, 2007
Luanda, Angola
You too? That's so cool. I'm here in Bangkok until I think around Sept 5th, and then I'll probably head back to...
I'll say one thing it's going to be weird A.F watching hockey with my morning coffee ;)

Haha, totally! I actually lived here (on soi 11) for seven years, so I got used to watching the Oil as I ate breakfast. I moved to Angola in 2015 and luckily got here right as the lockdown was starting. So yes, I'm living in sin under the visa amnesty for as long as I can. I'm just hoping Cambo opens up n September so I can get to my condo there to ride out another couple of months while sh*t hits the fan in Africa.

As I mentioned to Bangers, hit me up with a message if you're up for watching a game anywhere around Sukh.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Haha, totally! I actually lived here (on soi 11) for seven years, so I got used to watching the Oil as I ate breakfast. I moved to Angola in 2015 and luckily got here right as the lockdown was starting. So yes, I'm living in sin under the visa amnesty for as long as I can. I'm just hoping Cambo opens up n September so I can get to my condo there to ride out another couple of months while sh*t hits the fan in Africa.

As I mentioned to Bangers, hit me up with a message if you're up for watching a game anywhere around Sukh.

sounds like a blast we'll have to arrange something for sure. confuse the hell out of the bar girls though watching hockey in the morning ;)

The second game may be a good one to plans something. that would at 9:30AM somewhere.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Always a good idea (since I'm living at the Mercure on soi 19), but I often like to watch the games on my own time -- will definitely head there for an Oil game this upcoming month, though. If you're around, send me a message!

(Un)fortunately (?) I've decided to move to an island for the near future, so I likely won't be back in Bangkok before then. I live and work here, and since my work has gone online, I see no need to deal with the mess of people and pollution that is Bangkok.

You too? That's so cool. I'm here in Bangkok until I think around Sept 5th, and then I'll probably head back to Canada or to Europe. I haven't decided. Covid seems to be spreading again, so it may be time just to head back to Canada with my tail between my legs. Totally off topic - you here on tourist amnesty? I'm actually quite close as well, I'm at sukhumvit 22 these days.

Back to hockey - I was thinking the same thing - what sort of blackouts would we get here in SEA. I would assume none since there are no locally available NHL games. The $20 deal is just too good to pass up.

I've been doing it for years!

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
To me having games only on Cable + Sportsnet packs if you live in Edmonton is such a scam.
Thanks to COVID, mental health, and the economy I can’t afford ~$70/month to enable a f***ing subscription on a DVR in top of my ever increasing rent. f*** you Telus/Shaw you crooks

/rant

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
The best part about using NHL.tv in Australia is the games start at 9am-12pm, so I can either spend the mornings watching the games, or if I want to wait until night time I can just watch the replay with zero chances of spoilers from the outside world as long as I stay off social media.

BFDBFD

Oct 9, 2007
Luanda, Angola
Yup -- I was able to use NHL.tv to watch the exhibition game (no VPN needed), so I'm confident all will be well. Thanks for all the advice!

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible

$20? It's $74.99 here, I'll stick to the not legal streaming just because of that.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
$20? It's $74.99 here, I'll stick to the not legal streaming just because of that.

Yes, it's considerably cheaper than in Canada. But in their defense, games are generally on at like 4am here - not exactly prime-time television viewing.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Can you go to NHl.tv while a game is half over and start from puck drop without it spoiling the score?
Or do you have to wait until it's over to watch on demand ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad