International Basketball Thread (R)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
How they are clear #2 if they just got dropped by Slovenia? In my books they are #4 after Serbia and Slovenia. Serbia is clearly better than them. Serbia almost beat team USA at olympics. They was #2 few years ago. But thinks has changed from that. It's still huge achievement to drop dribble double against them. Other argument was fair enough, didn't know he is that young, makes achievement even better. He is too long to play as a point guard, but he will be solid solid shooting guard at future. He has also much time to improve if he is 2019 draft class. Looking forward how much he can raise his points total at next season. Does Luka even go to College?

Let's hope that Slovenia wins! You're team has been solid at this competition. Serbia just could be too much, this far they've been another level than any other team in competition.

Slovenia is not my team haha. Serbia is but i love seeing all the former Yugo nations do well in all sports.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Edit. Highlights with Jamar Wilson's game winner! (btw Wilson isn't these paid muricans that you can see in some other euro teams, he has Finnish wife and have lived off seasons for years in Finland)

AFAIK Finnish laws are very strict and don't at all help athlete shopping. Usually it takes 5 years even in the clearest cases like Wilson, with a Finnish wife and two kids, and living in Finland aside from team commitments. The only exception seems to be if one of the parents is an expat. ie. the Murphys.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Qnebo, here you go, everyone in Europe knows this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeXG9-wyzw0

And that brings me to wonder, I thought you're a Finn, but not so sure anymore. :|
--

Doncic is projected to be perhaps the best European NBA player ever. He's quite a bit ahead of Markkanen, who will probably be a decent NBA player and best ever from Finland. Still, Koponen was the best player of Finland at the Euros, even with the nerve damage in his arm.
It's nice to see Slovenia triumphant! Very similar to Finland, but a level better at every aspect and three levels better at coaching. Slovenian fans also impressed me in a big way. They got their inspiration from Susifans at Koper in 2013. :)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Doncic will go top-5. I doubt he goes #1. That'll be Bagley/Porter.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Finnish basketball fans are now fairly pissed off at the Euroleague for their "genious" move of not having breaks for FIBA World Cup/Olympic qualifiers, unlike every other league. Finland have now been without two key players in Petteri Koponen (our best point guard) and Sasu Salin (key shooting guard) and now have one win out of 3 qualifiers after todays loss away to Iceland. :madfire:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Canada is in pretty good shape in the Americas Qualifier. 3-1 with one more window to go in the summer. Should have a pretty huge contingent of NBA players available for the summer window, so we should handily win both games to get to 5-1 heading into the 2nd round.

If they get into the World Cup, I can't wait to see what this team could look like with the entire contingent of NBA players on the team.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Canada is in pretty good shape in the Americas Qualifier. 3-1 with one more window to go in the summer. Should have a pretty huge contingent of NBA players available for the summer window, so we should handily win both games to get to 5-1 heading into the 2nd round.

If they get into the World Cup, I can't wait to see what this team could look like with the entire contingent of NBA players on the team.

Wishful thinking.

The next round of qualifiers will be in the Sep-Feb time frame.

No real reason to call up NBAers for the last two games as the results are likely to be split, allowing Canada to go through regardless.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Wishful thinking.

The next round of qualifiers will be in the Sep-Feb time frame.

No real reason to call up NBAers for the last two games as the results are likely to be split, allowing Canada to go through regardless.

It would be in their best interests to win the last two games of this round, especially the one against the Dominican Republic since Canada will be competing with them in the next round for one of the World Cup spots. The records from the first round get carried over to the next round.

Canada would likely want NBA players for the June window and the September window to bank as many wins as possible before having to play without them in November and February. They should have no problems getting to 7-1 (if they can get some NBA players to come play the next four games) with the last four games left to go, which would put them in pretty good shape to ensure they get to the World Cup.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Really pulling for Cameroon to make the upcoming international tournaments, as they could have a sick team.

PG
Gedeon Pitard
Danny Gibson
SG
DJ Strawberry
Jeremy Nzeulie
Robert Songolo Ngijol
SF
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
JP Tokoto
PF
Pascal Siakam