International Basketball Thread (R)

RobRayzor

Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
Good games today,but damn,that Porzingis putback was something.

And this buzzer beater from own 3 point line for Lithuania. Wow!

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp12wAzOGlI

Lauri Markkanen with another huge game against Slovenia. Finland lose by 3 points, but battle was still very good against one of the top teams.. I'm very proud about my team and what our attitude has been in these matches. Markkanen is very big factor that we can compete against Europe top teams. He has been huge player in both ends. He suffered ankle injury in the end of the game. It didn't look too bad, but never knows. Hope he comes back today because otherwise we doesn't have any chance against Poland.

He definitely has that superstar potential

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Lauri Markkanen leading our team to another huge win over Poland with 27 points, 9 rebounds & 2 assists. He bring our team back to the game scoring 5 points at last 20 seconds of 4th and also scored two at the end of first OT, which let the the game go on. Competition has been amazing this far.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

This young man is exceptional talent Markkanen clearly is something special what Finnish basketball has lacked for years.
All respect for Hanno Mottola who's first Finnish NBA player and one the best basketball players of all time in Finland.
But he wasn't even near Markkanen's caliber when he ( Mottola) was a prospect.

Markkanen is already Finland's best basketball player so can't wait to see how good he'll be in 3 yrs from now.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
2017 FIBA AmeriCup

2 September
Semifinals
United States 90-62 USVI
Argentina 84-67 Mexico

3 September

3rd Place
USVI 65-79 Mexico

Final
United States 81-76 Argentina

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
How good is the competition though? Poland? Markkanen should be able to take on Poland easily no?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Is the "HU" chant in youtube that Happened in Finland -Iceland game? It was great.

Never really even watched basketball before, but now everyone and their grandmother have been watching because Finland is doing fine in Eurobasket, so I did too, and actually enjoyed.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Is the "HU" chant in youtube that Happened in Finland -Iceland game? It was great.

Never really even watched basketball before, but now everyone and their grandmother have been watching because Finland is doing fine in Eurobasket, so I did too, and actually enjoyed.

It was embarrassing. It's a chant to support Iceland. It made zero sense for the whole arena to do it. :shakehead Finnish fans should have sung Tsingis Khan like the football fans did on Saturday.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
It was embarrassing. It's a chant to support Iceland. It made zero sense for the whole arena to do it. :shakehead Finnish fans should have sung Tsingis Khan like the football fans did on Saturday.

It hasn't much to do with Finns though. Wouldn't like to go to OT but you can start by reading at least
Finnish origins and genetics from wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finns#Genetics
https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomalaiset#Suomalaisten_esihistoria

Tsingis khan lived in 1200 century, Finns have entered the Europe around 10 000 years ago according to actual dna study and science. Absolutely not in 0bc time like some old theories recorded. Swedish race theory books in 1800 or eaerlier are trash. There is recordings on central european scientist visiting Finland and recording that they did not see any Finns at all, because those books tolds Finns have darker skin than europeans and eyes like chinese people and people in Finland didin't match them.

Sweden was acting bit racist against Finns and officially thought Finns as a colony area and second class people. Finns weren't even allowed to use their own language in their own countrys agencies ect. Swedes still call us mongols some times, but it's because they want to mock us us, not because they appreciate us, so I don't like using tsingis khan in chants :shakehead:

"Recently, the use of mitochondrial "mtDNA" (female lineage) and Y-chromosomal "Y-DNA" (male lineage) DNA-markers in tracing back the history of human populations has been started. For the paternal and maternal genetic lineages of Finnish people and other peoples, see, e.g., the National Geographic Genographic Project and the Suomi DNA-projekti. Haplogroup U5 is estimated to be the oldest mtDNA haplogroup in Europe and is found in the whole of Europe at a low frequency, but seems to be found in significantly higher levels among Finns, Estonians and the Sami people.[36] The original European hunter-gatherers that populated large parts of Europe before the early farmers appeared are outside the genetic variation of modern populations, but most similar to Finnish individuals.[37]"

It rather seems that we are very original and real europeans more than some others are. Of course we came from north ural when you go back long enough but also every route leads to Africa if you go far enough.

In my opinion, the "HU" is so simple it hans't automatically anything to do with Vikings. Any one could do that and probably has done something very similar to that to raise the spirit. But if it's chant used by Icelandic fans then others shouldn't copy it and if it was the case that Icelanders tried to cheer for their team and the finns joined, then I agree it's rather weird..

On topic.. Basket ball is nice. New sport to follow casually at least on NT level.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It hasn't much to do with Finns though. Wouldn't like to go to OT but you can start by reading at least
Finnish origins and genetics from wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finns#Genetics
https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomalaiset#Suomalaisten_esihistoria

Tsingis khan lived in 1200 century, Finns have entered the Europe around 10 000 years ago according to actual dna study and science. Absolutely not in 0bc time like some old theories recorded. Swedish race theory books in 1800 or eaerlier are trash. There is recordings on central european scientist visiting Finland and recording that they did not see any Finns at all, because those books tolds Finns have darker skin than europeans and eyes like chinese people and people in Finland didin't match them.

Sweden was acting bit racist against Finns and officially thought Finns as a colony area and second class people. Finns weren't even allowed to use their own language in their own countrys agencies ect. Swedes still call us mongols some times, but it's because they want to mock us us, not because they appreciate us, so I don't like using tsingis khan in chants :shakehead:

"Recently, the use of mitochondrial "mtDNA" (female lineage) and Y-chromosomal "Y-DNA" (male lineage) DNA-markers in tracing back the history of human populations has been started. For the paternal and maternal genetic lineages of Finnish people and other peoples, see, e.g., the National Geographic Genographic Project and the Suomi DNA-projekti. Haplogroup U5 is estimated to be the oldest mtDNA haplogroup in Europe and is found in the whole of Europe at a low frequency, but seems to be found in significantly higher levels among Finns, Estonians and the Sami people.[36] The original European hunter-gatherers that populated large parts of Europe before the early farmers appeared are outside the genetic variation of modern populations, but most similar to Finnish individuals.[37]"

It rather seems that we are very original and real europeans more than some others are. Of course we came from north ural when you go back long enough but also every route leads to Africa if you go far enough.

In my opinion, the "HU" is so simple it hans't automatically anything to do with Vikings. Any one could do that and probably has done something very similar to that to raise the spirit. But if it's chant used by Icelandic fans then others shouldn't copy it and if it was the case that Icelanders tried to cheer for their team and the finns joined, then I agree it's rather weird..

On topic.. Basket ball is nice. New sport to follow casually at least on NT level.

:facepalm: You need to listen to the song to get why the football fans were singing it.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
You need to listen to the song to get why the football fans were singing it.

So it's attempt to troll the "HU" chant with continuing it like " ha, tsingis khan, enslaver of....". I guess it makes some sense.. But the icelanders probably dont know this song and not get it though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
My boy Dragic is killing it and this Doncic kid also looks amazing.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Doncic has been pretty good, still can't understand how he could be top-3 pick at next years draft, is the level really that trash? His PPG at Real Madrid is nothing special and 7 pick Markkanen beats his stats clearly at EuroBasket. I don't bark him, just try to find out how the difference between the players could be so big with these two drafts.

EDIT: Sorry about this. My data was too low about him and message was just false.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Oh boy. Kid just nearly recorded a triple double against the 2nd best team in the world, but let's talk about ****ing Markanen again.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
2nd best team in the world is stretch, but you can keep your talk going about his triple double. I'm just trying to find out more about his level as a player. Could he be something special at NBA level?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
2nd best team in the world is stretch, but you can keep your talk going about his triple double. I'm just trying to find out more about his level as a player. Could he be something special at NBA level?

Why is it a stretch? Spain is a clear #2.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Doncic has been pretty good, still can't understand how he could be top-3 pick at next years draft, is the level really that trash? His PPG at Real Madrid is nothing special and 7 pick Markkanen beats his stats clearly at EuroBasket. I don't bark him, just try to find out how the difference between the players could be so big with these two drafts.

You do realize Doncic is 18 and Lauri is 20?

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Why is it a stretch? Spain is a clear #2.

How they are clear #2 if they just got dropped by Slovenia? In my books they are #4 after Serbia and Slovenia. Serbia is clearly better than them. Serbia almost beat team USA at olympics. They was #2 few years ago. But thinks has changed from that. It's still huge achievement to drop dribble double against them. Other argument was fair enough, didn't know he is that young, makes achievement even better. He is too long to play as a point guard, but he will be solid solid shooting guard at future. He has also much time to improve if he is 2019 draft class. Looking forward how much he can raise his points total at next season. Does Luka even go to College?

Let's hope that Slovenia wins! You're team has been solid at this competition. Serbia just could be too much, this far they've been another level than any other team in competition.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Markkanen > Porzingis

giphy.gif

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016

IMO he has potential to be the better player. At the moment both have some kind of issues at defense. Porzingis got burned at 1-on-1 situations and Lauri has some issues at his blocking. Still was one of our better rim protectors at competition. Lauri is better shooter and he has higher vision for the game. He was leading our team to huge wins and even Slovenia one of the better teams at competition, didn't find answer for him. Shouldn't be able to do those kind of thinks against French, Poland or Slovenia. Because those team's have better players at their bench than we have as our starters at least on paper. Half of our team comes from Finnish league. Our second best player Petteri Koponen is sixth man at Barcelona. Otherwise our team is piece of **** compared to European top teams. We don't have any starters at European big clubs like other teams. Front court is very soft except Kotti & Markkanen.

Our head coach said that Lauri is better than Nowitzki at same age. He has pretty good data about that, because he was Germany head coach five years when Dirk was still young guy. If we look at stats 20 years old Lauri beats 21 years old Dirk at EuroBasket pretty clearly, with much worser team. He said if Lauri works hard enough he definitely has potential to reach Dirk level or be even better player. I'm not saying he will reach that level but he definitely has potential and tools for it.

Very impressed about Luka's performance. Never thought that he was two years younger than Lauri, because people been talking like he is going to next year's draft and Lauri went this year as a freshman. He could be very solid shooting guard at future, with scoring, rebound and passing skills. We need him at Bulls. He could match very well with Lauri. It would be amazing to see how these super-potential European players take over NBA as a Duo. They are first players able to dominate EuroBasket that badly at age of 18 & 20.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad