Interesting Stat

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
So we talk about how much Tarasenko has hit a post, crossbar, missed up top, or missed wide, but did we know that the NHL actually tracks these stats?

NHL.com - Stats

Looking back from his 40 goal campaign, to last year, and then comparing those to this year, it looks like he's taking bad shots when he has one and possibly a bit unlucky. He's already ahead or tied in all of the categories that we complain about and there's 14 games left. Thought it was interesting.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Cool post and info. Vladi has been off this year...seems to have lost confidence but he did look better yesterday. He still is trending for over 30 goals in an off year which shows that he is truly an elite goal scorer.

Laine with 40 goals has hit 10 posts and a crossbar...wow.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I wonder if the fact that he's kind of a one dimensional shooter is the reason he's getting himself into spots to take bad shots.

Also, with as much attention within local media that's being put into about how he needs to hit the net or he needs to score Id imagine he is pressing pretty hard and taking bad shots a little bit due to that. He doesn't exactly seem like the type that takes criticism too well.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Unless the NHL has vastly improved their tracking of these stats, I'd take these numbers with a massive grain of salt. They were laughably off a couple years ago. I remember a reddit thread along the lines of, "TIL these players haven't hit a single post or crossbar despite taking 100+ shots this year" and the comments were just gif after gif of those players hitting posts/crossbars that season. I can't remember which player it was on the Kings, but users found 7 or 8 posts/crossbars from that season even though NHL.com had him listed at 0.

My eye test definitely tells me that Tarasenko's accuracy is off this year. With that said, I'm not all that concerned long term. Shooting percentages are notorious for regressing to the mean over time. I think it is much, much more likely that we'll see regression to the mean than it is that Tarasenko has just lost his accuracy forever.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Good point Brian. All scorekeepers look like they got picked up at a nursing home and are hiding from the grim reaper. Who’s grandpa is able to stay awake for that long. LOL.

Reactions: thedustman

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Great stuff, didn't know this kind of stuff was tracked. As suspected, Tarasenko leads the league in wristers. Surprised Evander Kane is only 20 behind.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Unless the NHL has vastly improved their tracking of these stats, I'd take these numbers with a massive grain of salt. They were laughably off a couple years ago. I remember a reddit thread along the lines of, "TIL these players haven't hit a single post or crossbar despite taking 100+ shots this year" and the comments were just gif after gif of those players hitting posts/crossbars that season. I can't remember which player it was on the Kings, but users found 7 or 8 posts/crossbars from that season even though NHL.com had him listed at 0.

My eye test definitely tells me that Tarasenko's accuracy is off this year. With that said, I'm not all that concerned long term. Shooting percentages are notorious for regressing to the mean over time. I think it is much, much more likely that we'll see regression to the mean than it is that Tarasenko has just lost his accuracy forever.
By regression to the mean, you're saying that he is likely regressing to like a 10-11% shooting percentage? I just want to make sure that's how I reading it.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
By regression to the mean, you're saying that he is likely regressing to like a 10-11% shooting percentage? I just want to make sure that's how I reading it.

No, regression to his mean (which has been around 13% his entire career).

Reactions: ezcreepin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->