Interesting Info: Part XIX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
What about them? We are playing out these last 3 weeks or so for the right to get swept by Tampa or beaten in 4-5-6 by Washington/Pittsburgh.If Philly somehow wins the division and we play them, then we can have a different conversation.

Just because I am a fan of the team doesn't have to make me blind. Also, given that we will have "playoff Bob" wouldn't you think our odds aren't very good either, bus?
Pretty much exactly how I feel, same with the Tampa/Nashville for the cup, anyone but Pitt.

Also just imagine if Tampa had drafted Jones :help:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Nashville? Tampa?

What about the Columbus Blue Jackets?

The NHL isn't the NBA.

Keep that bag on though, "fan".

Bus, take advantage of your optimism.

Stanley Cup Odds: Lightning and Knights remain co-favorites to hoist the Stanley Cup

Dated march 3rd, so may have changed. Bus bets $200 on CBJ and wins $10000. Takes CR and CBJWennberg10 to opening game next year in the Lexus seats. Buys CR a #27 Murray jersey that he has to wear at every hockey game he attends for next year.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

There is an adult channel for first ten seconds, and then back to Nickelodeon again, is it really because of difference of education?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Things are NOT looking good for the "fans of the team" who aren't fans of the actual team.

I know if they don't win a round that the naysayers will still nay-say, but to me, just making the playoffs should be seen as a "successful" season. I'd like the team to not be put out in 5 games, but I'm also not gonna scream for a rebuild if it happens either. It also cannot be stressed enough, that ANY TEAM in the NHL that makes the playoffs, can WIN THE CUP. Other "pro sports leagues" have terrible parity, the NHL does not. Not to mention the fact that I absolutely believe this team can do "real damage" in the playoffs.

It makes no sense to me that you can claim to be a fan of this team and not have confidence in them. The"expectations" that these people have for what a "good team" looks like or how good a "good team" plays consistently throughout a whole season is, to put it nicely, quite unreasonable. Injuries or not. Not to mention the people who think the team isn't just not good, but that they are actually bad. Its as if you people literally think that 15 game win streaks should now be the norm, or that it shows that the team is taking a "step back" by not being statistically a "top 5" team league wide the entire year.

Artemi Panarin and Seth Jones are the real deal. Like, IMO, literally "comparable" to ANY of the top 2 players on ANY team. Have they "proven" themselves over long periods of time and/or had long runs in the playoffs like other "superstars" in the league have?....No, but I don't think its a question for anybody if they CAN. And while Dubois is still VERY young, he pretty clearly has "it" also. A still "recovering" Atkinson is also a player that is being downplayed by many here because of the "season" he's had this year. Completely "ignoring" his injury .

But obviously what the real question is and where most of the naysayers "doubt" comes from, is just how good our "depth" or "role" players are in relation to the rest of the league. Quite frankly, especially with the additions of Letestu and Cole (sorry Austria) I think we are easily a top 5 team, "depth wise", in the league. Vanek definitely brings a "wildcard" scoring touch, that most of the 4th line guys we've been putting in there (early) this year simply don't have, but, I'd definitely look to limit his "regular" ice time and give him heavy PP time. I'd like him down in front of the net, not Wennberg.

I think there's a few fun "playoff themes" we could go with this year...I'll throw out my favorite idea so far...

"Two teams, playing as ONE"

No? :squint:

Reactions: Jackets Fan

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Things are NOT looking good for the "fans of the team" who aren't fans of the actual team.

I know if they don't win a round that the naysayers will still nay-say, but to me, just making the playoffs should be seen as a "successful" season. I'd like the team to not be put out in 5 games, but I'm also not gonna scream for a rebuild if it happens either. It also cannot be stressed enough, that ANY TEAM in the NHL that makes the playoffs, can WIN THE CUP. Other "pro sports leagues" have terrible parity, the NHL does not. Not to mention the fact that I absolutely believe this team can do "real damage" in the playoffs.

It makes no sense to me that you can claim to be a fan of this team and not have confidence in them. The"expectations" that these people have for what a "good team" looks like or how good a "good team" plays consistently throughout a whole season is, to put it nicely, quite unreasonable. Injuries or not. Not to mention the people who think the team isn't just not good, but that they are actually bad. Its as if you people literally think that 15 game win streaks should now be the norm, or that it shows that the team is taking a "step back" by not being statistically a "top 5" team league wide the entire year.

Playoffs IS a successful season. But if the Jackets, if they even make it, go down in 4 or 5 games. It isn't an improvement on last year. Heck, if they go down in 6 it's not an improvement off of 4 years ago. It's just a playoff season. Good is not good enough for me. Successful seasons are better than what the franchise is used to, but that shouldn't be the benchmark for a season. It shouldn't even be the expectation, it should be the minimum. I want a team like the mid to late 2000's Red Wings and current day Penguins, where the playoffs were a given and they were always in the conversation for the Cup, and if they didn't win it was a disappointment.

It makes no sense to you that you can be a fan and not have confidence in the team? Tell that to Browns and Bengals fans. Yes, I know, different sport. The logic still applies. If you want to relate it to the NHL, look at the Red Wing and Canuck fans when it comes to their team, coaching, and management. Those fans clearly love their teams, but hate their current situation. Now the Jackets are in a far better position than the Bengals, Browns, Canucks, and Red Wings, but it's the same logic. Some people want to see a Cup win.

The team was bad. From October-December they won games because of Bob and Panarin and others, but they weren't playing well for the majority of the games. Even the coach says that, and the players too. It caught up to them in January and February where their record matched their play. Now, they are playing a lot better and they're getting rewarded for it, albeit some against bad teams, but they've earned their 6-2-0 record since the TDD.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Playoffs IS a successful season. But if the Jackets, if they even make it, go down in 4 or 5 games. It isn't an improvement on last year. Heck, if they go down in 6 it's not an improvement off of 4 years ago. It's just a playoff season. Good is not good enough for me. Successful seasons are better than what the franchise is used to, but that shouldn't be the benchmark for a season. It shouldn't even be the expectation, it should be the minimum. I want a team like the mid to late 2000's Red Wings and current day Penguins, where the playoffs were a given and they were always in the conversation for the Cup, and if they didn't win it was a disappointment.

It makes no sense to you that you can be a fan and not have confidence in the team? Tell that to Browns and Bengals fans. Yes, I know, different sport. The logic still applies. If you want to relate it to the NHL, look at the Red Wing and Canuck fans when it comes to their team, coaching, and management. Those fans clearly love their teams, but hate their current situation. Now the Jackets are in a far better position than the Bengals, Browns, Canucks, and Red Wings, but it's the same logic. Some people want to see a Cup win.

The team was bad. From October-December they won games because of Bob and Panarin and others, but they weren't playing well for the majority of the games. Even the coach says that, and the players too. It caught up to them in January and February where their record matched their play. Now, they are playing a lot better and they're getting rewarded for it, albeit some against bad teams, but they've earned their 6-2-0 record since the TDD.

I disagree, somewhat.

While I think that not going deep in the playoffs is disappointing, we have to temper our expectations. Only 8 teams advance to the second round. Are we good enough to do that? Time will tell. BUT, it's a young team and making the playoffs two years in a row is a start.

They are still 1-2 key pieces away, IMO. They overachieved last year so I think it's important to remember that. 'll take a playoff spot two years in a row. But I will expect more moving forward, as the core begins to come of age.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Making the playoffs this year but losing in the first round is still, to me, not something to poo-poo. This team has never made the playoffs two years in a row, which sucks, and which fosters the idea that they're born losers. The Browns (I'm a fan) have made the playoffs since they were an expansion team, but whatever; every year a team or two squeaks into the playoffs and loses quickly (even though Anderson's Browns should have beaten the Steelers, after the lead they built). To make it two years in a row is an improvement. Sucks to say it, but I think it's true.

Next year is a different story. I'll have a different perspective then, but if we miss this year, then make it next year and lose in the first round, then I'll start to be up in arms. Then that will be 3 years of lateral movement. And if we make it this year, lose in the first round, then miss next year OR make it and lose in the first round, I'll also feel restive. But making it this year and losing in the first round, barring a sweep, I'll have to grudgingly admit it's still a success. It will show that the Jackets are in the conversation.

BUT, if I have a problem with Bus's post, it's that he doesn't mention the special teams. The special teams this year have been putrid, apart from a good PK to start the year. You can't criticize others who have reservations about this team while not acknowledging a very tangible and glaring weakness that it has.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Making the playoffs this year but losing in the first round is still, to me, not something to poo-poo. This team has never made the playoffs two years in a row, which sucks, and which fosters the idea that they're born losers. The Browns (I'm a fan) have made the playoffs since they were an expansion team, but whatever; every year a team or two squeaks into the playoffs and loses quickly (even though Anderson's Browns should have beaten the Steelers, after the lead they built). To make it two years in a row is an improvement. Sucks to say it, but I think it's true.

Next year is a different story. I'll have a different perspective then, but if we miss this year, then make it next year and lose in the first round, then I'll start to be up in arms. Then that will be 3 years of lateral movement. And if we make it this year, lose in the first round, then miss next year OR make it and lose in the first round, I'll also feel restive. But making it this year and losing in the first round, barring a sweep, I'll have to grudgingly admit it's still a success. It will show that the Jackets are in the conversation.

BUT, if I have a problem with Bus's post, it's that he doesn't mention the special teams. The special teams this year have been putrid, apart from a good PK to start the year. You can't criticize others who have reservations about this team while not acknowledging a very tangible and glaring weakness that it has.

Pretty much how I see it.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Shhhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell anybody.

This thread has over 1,000 replies. That has been some unofficial cut-off point to move the discussion to another part of the CBJ estate. Let's see how long we can over-stay our welcome.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I disagree, somewhat.

While I think that not going deep in the playoffs is disappointing, we have to temper our expectations. Only 8 teams advance to the second round. Are we good enough to do that? Time will tell. BUT, it's a young team and making the playoffs two years in a row is a start.

They are still 1-2 key pieces away, IMO. They overachieved last year so I think it's important to remember that. 'll take a playoff spot two years in a row. But I will expect more moving forward, as the core begins to come of age.
Good post. I agree in general, but there's one fly in the ointment I see with a first round loss and that is the additional question mark it raises on resigning Bob (if he anything less than stellar).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

You can't make the playoffs three years in a row until you've made it two years in a row. No, I am not happy or satisfied or whatever term anyone might want to use for tickled pink with a first-round exit, but you're more likely to win a first-round series the more often you play in one.

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Bored at work, so naturally I went stats checking. :D Hopefully they can help everyone realize that this is a team on the upswing at the right time.
Full season stats:
2.70 GF/G
2.73 GA/G
7.9% Shot %

Stats since beginning of Feb:
3.09 GF/G
2.76 GF/G
8.7% Shot%

Stats since end of "50+ shots streak" :
3.14 GF/G
2.57 GA/G
10.3% Shot%
(I chose this because I thought the team changed their style of play following this streak, and it seemed like a small turning point)

There are a few particularly telling things in these stats, IMO. First, is that despite the team clearly playing much better at the end of February until now, the GF/G has only marginally increased since then, as opposed to over all of February. This tells me that the recent, notable scoring increase is likely more of a trend than an anomaly, as they have spent over a month and a half with a 3+ GF/G, although obviously they won't keep up the 4+ GF/G they've had since the trade deadline. Another good sign is that the GA/G has stayed relatively around 2.6-2.75 GA/G since the beginning of February, as it has been all season. Overall, it seems as if the uptick in scoring and shot% that we have been waiting for all season could have finally come, while the GA/G has kept with the average, and that has caused the results to return to the winning form we saw early in the season. We can only hope that this trend continues, and it bodes well for the playoffs.

Hopefully some of you skeptics can find it in yourself to agree. :)

Reactions: thebus88

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Artemi Panarin and Seth Jones are the real deal. Like, IMO, literally "comparable" to ANY of the top 2 players on ANY team. Have they "proven" themselves over long periods of time and/or had long runs in the playoffs like other "superstars" in the league have?....No, but I don't think its a question for anybody if they CAN. And while Dubois is still VERY young, he pretty clearly has "it" also. A still "recovering" Atkinson is also a player that is being downplayed by many here because of the "season" he's had this year. Completely "ignoring" his injury .

But obviously what the real question is and where most of the naysayers "doubt" comes from, is just how good our "depth" or "role" players are in relation to the rest of the league. Quite frankly, especially with the additions of Letestu and Cole (sorry Austria) I think we are easily a top 5 team, "depth wise", in the league. Vanek definitely brings a "wildcard" scoring touch, that most of the 4th line guys we've been putting in there (early) this year simply don't have, but, I'd definitely look to limit his "regular" ice time and give him heavy PP time. I'd like him down in front of the net, not Wennberg.

I think there's a few fun "playoff themes" we could go with this year...I'll throw out my favorite idea so far...

"Two teams, playing as ONE"

No? :squint:
How are we supposed to have confidence in the team when they haven’t even made it in yet, and are on the bubble? We are fighting for our lives to sniff the post season. If we get in yes, anything can happen. But let’s not act like it’s a sure fire thing.

I don’t know why you think you can label who the true fans are, and how they should be acting.

We can talk about playoff themes once we secure a spot. Let’s not jinx it. I want this team to win just as bad if not more than you do, so please just stop. I apologize for not wanting to suck the team off when I think we can be much much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad