Interesting comments from Courteau re: Crosby junior eligibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
If I were him I'd have probably gone to Europe this year if possible. It's a no-brainer for next year if there's no NHL season.

Of course,if he legally can't get out of his Q contract, then he'd have to stay (playing beats not playing, clearly), but I think it's in his best developmental interests to play pro hockey next season, whether it be AHL or Europe if possible.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
I'd be curious to see how they figure that he's contractually obliged. I know nothing about the civil code of Quebec, but minors don't generally have the capacity to contract. If you sign a contract when you're under the age of 18, you're not generally bound by it. Those of you who have student loans, you'll note that they generally require your parents to co-sign if you're a minor, and when you get them after the age of 18, part of the contract you sign ratifies any loans you may have received as a minor.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Call me crazy...

speeds said:
If I were him I'd have probably gone to Europe this year if possible. It's a no-brainer for next year if there's no NHL season.

Of course,if he legally can't get out of his Q contract, then he'd have to stay (playing beats not playing, clearly), but I think it's in his best developmental interests to play pro hockey next season, whether it be AHL or Europe if possible.

...but I'm thinking Courteau doesn't give a damn about what's in Crosby's best developmental interests. ;)

He's going to hang onto this meal ticket as long as he can.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Digger12 said:
...but I'm thinking Courteau doesn't give a damn about what's in Crosby's best developmental interests. ;)

He's going to hang onto this meal ticket as long as he can.

no doubt, just giving my ill-advised take (I'd probably have advised Leinart to enter the NFL draft, so what do I know, lol)

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
mudcrutch79 said:
I'd be curious to see how they figure that he's contractually obliged. I know nothing about the civil code of Quebec, but minors don't generally have the capacity to contract. If you sign a contract when you're under the age of 18, you're not generally bound by it. Those of you who have student loans, you'll note that they generally require your parents to co-sign if you're a minor, and when you get them after the age of 18, part of the contract you sign ratifies any loans you may have received as a minor.

That was my first thought as well. Odd that Courteau would voice that opinion publicly anyway, right or wrong.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
mudcrutch79 said:
I'd be curious to see how they figure that he's contractually obliged. I know nothing about the civil code of Quebec, but minors don't generally have the capacity to contract. If you sign a contract when you're under the age of 18, you're not generally bound by it.

Isn't that where agents and guardians come in?

There are lots of young stars in various industries, they have to have binding contracts. All your teenybopper singers, actors, etc.

Reilly311

If I was Crosby, I'd at least win my team a championship. (in junior that is)

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
mudcrutch79 said:

Starting age 14 in Quebec you can sign your own contracts for $$$ (work) and they're fully enforceable.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Reilly311 said:
If I was Crosby, I'd at least win my team a championship. (in junior that is)

I agree that a dual championship would be nice (President’s Cup and Memorial Cup) for his junior team.

If that takes 3 years to accomplish so be it.

The Lyndros comparisons are unwarranted as of yet, wait until September and see who he is playing before we make any harsh judgments.

Lets just hope its his decision and not his agent or any other outside forces.

WHA would be A LOT rougher right? He said no to them the first time.

Currently the NHL players over in Europe are signed or in a position of renewal, undrafted NHL players are what under the IIHF?

Whoever wants Crosby to break a contract(mabe its Lyndros himself) should be careful that the legal ice they are standing on is at least one foot thick.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Smail said:
Starting age 14 in Quebec you can sign your own contracts for $$$ (work) and they're fully enforceable.[/QUOTE

I doubt a 14 year old can obligate himself to the extent we are talking about through 20 years of age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad