Interesting Analysis to Perform with Basic Data and Player's Bio info?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Hey all! I like to play around with stats, math, data, but unfortunately with hockey I have a very tough time coming with "fun", worthwhile ideas that don't take 6 months to do for some reason.

I've managed to use the NHL API to scrape together two datasets (2021-2022 stats and the 2021-2022 bio info on players - height weight etc.)

I'm looking to make an analysis - nothing too complicated - and build lots of interesting visuals using that data only.

If anything comes to mind, please share.

At the moment I'm thinking of analyzing the team I cheer for (Montreal) to uncover what they're possibly missing. Perhaps by building some clusters of players and discovering what composition of clusters did the top teams have vs how Montreal is designed.

Anyway, something around clustering or similarity scores would be fun, but I'm not sure what destination to bring it!

Hockey Stathead

Aug 14, 2022
www.instagram.com
That sounds cool. Lots of different ways to take it.

Could simply compare Montreal's average height, weight, and age (all weighted by games played) to the rest of the league in a cool visual.

As for stats, basic ones like goals for/against, shots for/against, shooting/save percentage.

Reactions: abo9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad