inspired by the sighting in game 3 - Why again wont fedorov have his jersey retired?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's just dumb.

If it's not acceptable to wear numbers of Ex-Wings, just make it official and put then in the rafters.

Put #6, #16, and #91 up there.

It's a weird message. "Oh, young people are discouraged from wearing your number, but you're not important enough to have it retired."

I don't think 16 should be in the rafters, Vladdy wasn't a "great," but due to the circumstances of how his career ended, it seems in poor taste to let someone wear it. I almost see 2 the same way, unless Vladdy or Fischer give it the okay.

With 6 & 91, I don't feel strongly enough either way to really care. If they're retired, great, if not, let someone wear'em.

slapshots1515

Feb 14, 2010
Ann Arbor
I grew up idolizing Vladdie, but I don't think 16 should be in the rafters. It probably would have, if not for the accident, but that's just not what happened. Besides, I think the #16 jersey is right where it belongs-right in Vladdie's still-preserved locker.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
The thing that struck me most about the Yzerman and Lidstrom retirement ceremonies is that what was talked about most was what great human beings they are. The hockey almost seemed secondary.

Like it or not, Sergei was kind of an odd bird. The enigmatic personality, the creepy thing with Anna Kournikova while she was barely out of middle school, the Carolina contract, leaving for Anaheim because he wanted to be a big fish in a little pond (doesn't seem like Pavel minds sharing the spotlight with Zetterberg).

I don't think Sergei has any family. I don't think he he's really close with a lot of the former players. It's hard to envision what kind of ceremony that would be.

He might have the stats, and he was awesome to watch. I just don't think he was or is beloved by fellow players or management. He was good, great even, but not a legend. If he played for a non original six team, it might have been. But the Detroit Red Wings? I don't think so.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The thing that struck me most about the Yzerman and Lidstrom retirement ceremonies is that what was talked about most was what great human beings they are. The hockey almost seemed secondary.

Like it or not, Sergei was kind of an odd bird. The enigmatic personality, the creepy thing with Anna Kournikova while she was barely out of middle school, the Carolina contract, leaving for Anaheim because he wanted to be a big fish in a little pond (doesn't seem like Pavel minds sharing the spotlight with Zetterberg).

I don't think Sergei has any family. I don't think he he's really close with a lot of the former players. It's hard to envision what kind of ceremony that would be.

He might have the stats, and he was awesome to watch. I just don't think he was or is beloved by fellow players or management. He was good, great even, but not a legend. If he played for a non original six team, it might have been. But the Detroit Red Wings? I don't think so.

Great, great post. This is exactly how I see Fedorov. I was his big fan, but don't think his jersey should be retired.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Thanks. I was a big fan, too. I wish he would have stayed. I think he would have been that beloved Red Wing he so wanted to be. He just needed to be patient. The Carolina offer sheet, I think that was forgiven as soon as they won the Cup. But after he actually left, and the way he left, left a bad taste. No ill will towards him at all, but I think if you actually have to think about it or wonder if it is deserved, then it probably isn't.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Great post, that's how I see it. With all due respect to his merits as an outstanding player on the ice.

JackieTreehorn

Mar 16, 2010
What is this about Kournakova being in middle school?

I looked it up, and Federov claims they were married in 01 when she was 20. If they dated for 2 years that is 18, 3 is 17. Not even close to middle school.

If you don't like someone you don't have to make stuff up about them to justify the dislike.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

I looked it up, and Federov claims they were married in 01 when she was 20. If they dated for 2 years that is 18, 3 is 17. Not even close to middle school.

If you don't like someone you don't have to make stuff up about them to justify the dislike.

It's been reported that hes been linked with her since she was 16

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014

I don't dislike him, and I certainly did not make it up. You don't remember her being in the locker room and at the parade when the Wings won the Cup in 97? I think she was 15 then.

From Sports Illustrated, March 30, 1998:

Haas says that "nothing ever happened" between Kournikova and him at Bollettieri's "partly because she already had a boyfriend—Fedorov. I think she was 14."

Says Kournikova, "It doesn't matter how old you are. Why should other people tell me who I should be friends with or what I should do? They're not perfect themselves, and it's none of their business. Some things are personal. You wouldn't say what you did with your wife, either."

But much of Kournikova's personal life has been lived in public. Last June, shortly after the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup on Kournikova's 16th birthday, she rode in a car with Fedorov in a victory parade in Detroit. A few weeks later, during Wimbledon, they were seen together at the All England Club and around London. Detroit Free Press columnist Mitch Albom wrote of encountering Fedorov and Kournikova together and saying hello to Fedorov, who greeted him with what seemed to be a nervous smile. According to Albom, Fedorov didn't introduce him to Kournikova and was "wiggling like a sixth-grader spotted by his pals while talking to a girl."

At last summer's U.S. Open, Fedorov, who declined to be interviewed for this story, attended Kournikova's matches. This led the New York Post to quote someone in the Queens district attorney's office as saying, "Mr. Fedorov had better watch his step. Or more to the point, he had better watch his hands."

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I highly doubt Fedorov would be the first person that had a smudge on his personal life to be recognized for their talent. I heard terry sawchuk was bat **** crazy and a grade A *******.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The reasons being given of why he shouldn't be up there are trivial, and dwarf by comparison with the reasons why his jersey should be up there.

Just my two cents.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
I highly doubt Fedorov would be the first person that had a smudge on his personal life to be recognized for their talent. I heard terry sawchuk was bat **** crazy and a grade A *******.

Nowadays, they call bat**** crazy Clinical Depression and there was very little treatment then like there is now, which makes his level of play all the more incredible. Secondly, things weren't reported in the media in those days like they are now. Terry Sawchuk was also considered one of the greatest hockey players ever.

When Yzerman and Lidstrom retired, it wasn't a matter of if their numbers should be retired, it was how soon can it be done.

Fedorov was an outstanding player. But for me, retiring the number entails more than just numbers and Fedorov just can't bring that part of it to the table. But if his number is retired, it wouldn't bother me either way.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I think it is a travesty Fedorov haven't had 91 retired yet. For better or worse he is the best forward to wear a Red Wing sweater since the glory days of the captain. He led the team in playoff scoring 3 years and was the runner up 2 more. He is also the only player ever to win the Selke, Hart and Ted Lindsay trophies and the only one to do it in the same season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Yzerman and Lidstrom are the standard then they will be the last two to ever go up there.

Another Cup for Z (as a Captain) and he will be there. Zetterberg was just awesome Yzerman-level Captain at this season. I really admire him as a hockey person, from where he as come and what he is now.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
If Yzerman and Lidstrom are the standard then they will be the last two to ever go up there.

Yep. Not only that, but they'll also need to take a couple down that are already up there.

Another Cup for Z (as a Captain) and he will be there. Zetterberg was just awesome Yzerman-level Captain at this season. I really admire him as a hockey person, from where he as come and what he is now.

I love Z too, and if his back holds up long enough, he will deserve to have his number retired, as will Pav. But if Z deserves to go up, Feds surely does too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad