News Article: Inside Ken Holland's challenge of rebuilding the Red Wings on the fly

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I don't think we should hope for Holland to do anything. The only thing I'd be on board with is trading up in the draft. Other than that, do nothing and make the pick.

This. We get a legit guy at 9 no matter how 1-8 go.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I don't think we should hope for Holland to do anything. The only thing I'd be on board with is trading up in the draft. Other than that, do nothing and make the pick.

But there's still lots of moving and shaking happening today. He's such a big fan of kicking tires, now's the time to do it. When the moves are happening. Chicago just moved Panarin taking everyone by surprise. He doesn't have to move our pick necessarily. Even just gauging interest on Tatar, Nyquist, Green, etc. while the sharks are smelling blood around the league. Maybe some trade target is off the block so the bridesmaids need to go to plan B out of desperation, whatever.

Just look at what's happened so far today. Obviously teams are open for business, there's activity happening all over the league. But unfortunately we've all become far too familiar with Holland's tired tropes, "I kicked some tires", "Prices were too high", "It has to work for both teams", etc. All excuses for why Holland walks away empty-handed every time.

Now having said that, I don't actually want him to make any moves. :laugh: But that's only because I have absolutely no confidence in his ability to pull off substantive player trades (not talking about trading down in the draft for extra picks), nor do I think he has any kind of plan for building a team moving forward.

The best way to start this rebuild would be with a whole new management team, like Toronto and Edmonton have done. Chiarelli and Shanahan came in with a solid plan, stuck to it, and are now seeing the results after only a few years. These were both franchises that had been in the gutter for a loooong time. And in walks competent management with a vision, and voila... it only takes a few years to be on the up and up. Holland is leading the Wings down the path that the Oilers and Leafs were on before they finally got their current management teams.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
White, Commodore, Quincey, Zidlicky, Smith, and Kindl aren't really improvements. That is more what happens during a number of years as players get cycled in and out.

And others.

You're talking about replacing Nick Lidstrom right? :)

My point was that Holland tried to replace him, even going so far as to make a huge offer to Suter as well, but at the end of the day there's no real way to replace that kind of loss.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
And others.

My point was that Holland tried to replace him, even going so far as to make a huge offer to Suter as well, but at the end of the day there's no real way to replace that kind of loss.

my hope is that nobody, fan or mgmt, would think it was possible to replace lidstrom

that should never be the goal or even topic of discussion

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And others.

And had his plan resulted in a series of solid, perhaps even good defensemen, then sure, you have to be content with that, and nobody replaces Nick to begin with.

But whether your starting point is a generational player, or just a good player, when you have half a decade of revolving door at defense, with maybe one guy who's even above average, and several players give you a quality of play that's more AHL than NHL, that reflects poorly on the guy assembling the roster.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
But whether your starting point is a generational player, or just a good player, when you have half a decade of revolving door at defense, with maybe one guy who's even above average, and several players give you a quality of play that's more AHL than NHL, that reflects poorly on the guy assembling the roster.

In the cases of the young dmen, these were all players people howled and screamed about not being on the roster fast enough, yes? Then Holland adds Green, adds DK... hey, obviously it wasn't a bang-up job largely because the young dmen flamed out, but you seem to have lost the thread of the discussion.

"We did get Green but nothing more."

That was the comment I was initially referring to.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Is there anyway I can send Ken Holland an email or something asking him to retire. He's killing my team. I can't watch this anymore.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Is there anyway I can send Ken Holland an email or something asking him to retire. He's killing my team. I can't watch this anymore.

You could and if he reads it, I'm sure he'll get a good laugh out of it. Laughter promotes health and longer life, so all you'll be doing is making him better at life :sarcasm:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
And others.

Again with this false narrative. There's no replacing Lidstrom so how can we blame Holland, right?

As well as retiring his jersey the Wings have also apparently retired the #1 d-man position since they've made almost no moves to fill that spot other than the desperate bidding war for Suter.

It's not binary. He still could've improved the defense even though it wouldn't compare to having Lidstrom.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
In the cases of the young dmen, these were all players people howled and screamed about not being on the roster fast enough, yes? Then Holland adds Green, adds DK... hey, obviously it wasn't a bang-up job largely because the young dmen flamed out, but you seem to have lost the thread of the discussion.

"We did get Green but nothing more."

That was the comment I was initially referring to.
This was the list you provided:

White, Commodore, Quincey, Zidlicky, Smith, and Kindl.

If people were screaming for Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl to get on the roster faster, I'll have to take your word for it. But that still doesn't account for the majority of your list, which consisted of a serviceable veteran player (Quincey), and a handful of downright awful retreads.

They grossly underinvested in drafting defensemen for several years, and tried to recover by throwing series of bandaids at the wall to see what stuck (and nothing did).

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
And others.

No, we are talking about improving the defense. The post you quoted.

Almost every single defenseman you listed was not an improvement on the back end. I hope you don't actually think your examples back up your assertion that Holland did a good job doing so.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Any news on what the Wings plans are?
I have a feeling Kenny won't do much. Not sure I want to be surprised or not, but keeping all the draft picks seems like an early indication that he's not going to do any massive shakeup in order to push for the playoffs.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
So we have:

Zetterberg
Nielsen
Nyquist
Abdelkader
Helm
Larkin
Mantha
Glendening
Athanasiou
Tatar
Sheahan
Vitale

Green
DeKeyser
Kronwall
Ericsson
Jensen
Ouellet

Howard
Mrazek

With this whole drama with Mrazek, do we trade him or keep him? Also our defense is seriously hurting, best case scenario is guys like DeKeyser, Jensen, and Ouellet take it to the next level and Green has a bounce back season, but we're talking the likely scenario here, Kronwall and Ericsson need to be replaced. The market is pretty dry but the likes of Shattenkirk and Alzner are free agents.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
With this whole drama with Mrazek, do we trade him or keep him?

I'm not sure if I understand this Mrazek thing completely? All I heard that he has attitude problems. He played 1 bad season and now he sucks?

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I'm not sure if I understand this Mrazek thing completely? All I heard that he has attitude problems. He played 1 bad season and now he sucks?

I don't get it either tbh, I just heard about this whole issue when the expansion draft was happening.

I say keep him, young goalies with this kind of potential don't grow on trees. Trading him now would be stupid since his value is probably shot, might as well keep him and try to resolve the conflict within, who knows what kind of performance you'll get out of him in the future. Also it's in our best of interest to keep him given Jimmy's age.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Karl Alzner, Dan Girardi???? They are both better than Ericsson.

Yes, both good choices to maintain our defensive style of not being able to skate or move the puck.

Saw HSJ mention Girardi as a target. :laugh:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

It's not one bad season, he's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde incarnate. Half of his nhl starts are terrible, half are good.

But he is way too young even still to throw in the towel on him like KH has seemingly done, Coreau sucks, I don't see what management sees in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad