Input Wanted: Evaluate the top forwards from the 2003 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4:20

Mar 23, 2002
B.C.
Visit site
Hi there.

I am interested in gathering some information about some of the top forwards from the 2003 draft. I have already read any and all information I have been able to find about these players but I am curious to hear feedback from people who have seen these guys play more than I have. These are the guys that I like the best out of the very deep pool of forwards from that draft:

Staal
Zherdev
Horton
Vanek
Michalek
Kastsitsyn
Carter
Brown
Parise
Fehr
Getzlaf
Burns
Bergeron

If you have seen any of these players play a handful or more times, and care to take the time, then please rate them from 1-5 in each of these characteristics:

A. Skating
B. Puck Handling
C. Shooting
D. Passing
E. Hockey Sense / Vision
F. Physical Play
G. Attitude / Work Ethic

Here is a description of the rating system:

1 - Weak - will likely hold the player back
2 - Marginal - below NHL average
3 - Solid - NHL Caliber
4 - Excellent - a significant step above NHL average
5 - Top Notch - NHL Elite

I hope this is not too complicated to discourage participation. Please feel free to rate only one, or as many players as you like, and to rate players that do appear in my list. Comments about the players are also welcome, as are comments about the rating system.

Thanks.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
I'll have to put some comments by each of Michalek's ratings for some obvious reasons.

A. 4/5. His accelleration is great, but he lacks a top gear. Also, with a knee injury in his past, he's yet to fully turn it up (and with the knee injury today, he might not for awhile more).

B. 4/5. Not Dats-like, but he does smart things with the puck. Gets it out of danger, which is sometimes more important than making a fancy move. I'd say 4.3, personally.

C. 3. He's got a better-than-average NHL shot, but doesn't use it the ways he ought to, yet. He's improved and is now shooting more than he used to, but he's yet to find his groove. Surely injuries won't help.

D. 4/5. Best passer in the SJ system, at the moment, though that really says nothing. Safe passer, more than anything. He won't lead many breakaway passes over his career, but will always make the best statistical pass in a situation. I'd say 4.8.

E. 5. Best characteristic by far.

F. 3. Takes hits well, and dishes them out occasionally, but not a hitter by nature.

G. 4/5. Among the hardest workers I know (and I know Friesen pretty well, who is a legend for his workout routines here in SJ). I won't say he's quite among the NHL's elite (as guys like Kovalchuk can go 30 in a game, and I don't see Michalek ever doing that), but he's up there. I'd say 4.5.

I've watched Michalek for some time, so I think I know what I'm talking about. Whether others feel the same is up to them. If I were giving an overall number based on your scale, he'd be a 4.3 overall. Good enough to play on the 1st line, but realistically, a 2nd line forward on any Cup team.

Happy hunting!
~Crazed.

4:20

Mar 23, 2002
B.C.
Visit site
Thanks for the info about Michalek Crazed. That was a really informative evaluation. Can anybody else comment on any of the other players?

Here is my impression of Eric Staal:

A. Skating - 4

B. Puck Handling - 4.25

C. Shooting - 4.25

D. Passing - 4.5

E. Hockey Sense / Vision - 4.5

F. Physical Play - 3.5

G. Attitude / Work Ethic - 5

Staal seems to be a very down to earth, hard working young player. I think that with his natural talents, and his strong work ethic that he has a good chance to be the best forward of the draft. Agree/Disagree?

X-SHARKIE

4:20 said:
Thanks for the info about Michalek Crazed. That was a really informative evaluation. Can anybody else comment on any of the other players?

A. Skating - 4

B. Puck Handling - 4.25

C. Shooting - 4.25

D. Passing - 4.5

F. Physical Play - 3.5

Staal seems to be a very down to earth, hard working young player. I think that with his natural talents, and his strong work ethic that he has a good chance to be the best forward of the draft. Agree/Disagree?

I think he was the best forward of the draft. In fact he was my #1 man at the draft.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc

A. Skating - 4

B. Puck Handling - 4.25

C. Shooting - 4.25

D. Passing - 4.5

F. Physical Play - 3.5

I agree with you, imo he will be a top 10 center in 5 years.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Hi there.

I am interested in gathering some information about some of the top forwards from the 2003 draft. I have already read any and all information I have been able to find about these players but I am curious to hear feedback from people who have seen these guys play more than I have. These are the guys that I like the best out of the very deep pool of forwards from that draft:

Staal
Zherdev
Horton
Vanek
Michalek
Kastsitsyn
Carter
Brown
Parise
Fehr
Getzlaf
Burns
Bergeron

If you have seen any of these players play a handful or more times, and care to take the time, then please rate them from 1-5 in each of these characteristics:

A. Skating
B. Puck Handling
C. Shooting
D. Passing
E. Hockey Sense / Vision
F. Physical Play
G. Attitude / Work Ethic

3 - Solid - NHL Caliber

I hope this is not too complicated to discourage participation. Please feel free to rate only one, or as many players as you like, and to rate players that do appear in my list. Comments about the players are also welcome, as are comments about the rating system.

Thanks.

Michalek

A.4.4-Is quite fast, but is no Marleau or Bondra
B.5-He could stickhandle in a phone booth.
C.3-Is good, but doesn't really have a booming shot, and needs to know when to shoot
D.4.75- He very good passer
E.4-This part of him is overrated. He needs to learn when to shoot and when to pass
F.3.5-He is not that bad physically, He deffinitely won't shy away from anything
G.5-Lifting weights with an injury!

Game Misconduct

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Dustin Brown:

A. Skating - 3
B. Puck Handling - 3
C. Shooting - 3
D. Passing - 3
E. Hockey Sense / Vision - 3
F. Physical Play - 4
G. Attitude / Work Ethic - 4

This is based on what I've seen this season. I expect continued improvement, but he's played primarily on the 4th line.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Patrice Bergeron (i've seen him play about 50 games):

A. Skating- 3
B. Puck Handling- 3.75
C. Shooting- 2.75
D. Passing- 4.25
E. Hockey Sense / Vision- 4.75
F. Physical Play- 3.75
G. Attitude / Work Ethic- 5

3 - Solid - NHL Caliber

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Not many Habs fan see Kastitsyn play so I will go with what I hear...

Skating: 4 (He's fast but he's not a rocket)
Puck Handling: 4.5 (he handle the puck very well in any situation)
Shooting: 4.5 (Both wrist and slap shot are exellent)
Passing: 4 (He can make good pass to his teammate)
Hockey sence: 4 (A pure offensive talent)
Physical Play:2.5 (He's not very physical)
Attitude:3 (He said he want to make the 9 teams who pass over him pay for not have take a chance on him)

And I don't think I'm overrating him because take off his healt problem and he would have been in the top five.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Here is my analysis for Nathan Horton:

A. Skating - 4
B. Puck Handling – 4.5
C. Shooting - 4
D. Passing - 4
E. Hockey Sense / Vision – 4.5
F. Physical Play - 5

Let me know if you think I am a homer ;)

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Not many Habs fan see Kastitsyn play so I will go with what I hear...

Skating: 4 (He's fast but he's not a rocket)
Puck Handling: 4.5 (he handle the puck very well in any situation)
Shooting: 4.5 (Both wrist and slap shot are exellent)
Passing: 4 (He can make good pass to his teammate)
Hockey sence: 4 (A pure offensive talent)
Physical Play:2.5 (He's not very physical)
Attitude:3 (He said he want to make the 9 teams who pass over him pay for not have take a chance on him)

And I don't think I'm overrating him because take off his healt problem and he would have been in the top five.

Based on the reviews of players who I think are far definately better than Kastitsyn, I think you are overrating him. Just my opinion.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
MePutPuckInNet said:
Brent burns can skate.

Other than that, he's a complete and total waste of a roster spot.
Gotta hate those 18 year olds that make an NHL franchise.......
Burns is a huge physical player with amazing hockey sense and passing abilities.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Since i've probably seen Eric Staal play more pro games than anybody here, i'll give it a go.

A. Skating- 3.75

While he is still young, his skating stride is very long. That isn't always a bad thing, but it doesn't look as if his legs are strong enough yet to get enough speed going through the neutral zone. Though, he has very good closing speed once he gets going, his acceleration could probably stand some work. Once he gets into a major offseason conditioning program and starts packing on muscle, the acceleration will come with that i'm pretty sure. Even if it doesn't, his skating now isn't going to hurt him for sure.

B. Puck Handling- 4

He's got a pretty busy stick for the most part. He's not quite adept as he should be yet with keeping possesion of the puck yet, but that is going to come with increased strength as well. Very capable of making flashy moves, but often doesn't need them. Usually knows the right place for lots of stick, and when he should just bulldog it down. This aspect of his game probably won't change an incredible amount and probably doesn't need to in order for him to have success.

C. Shooting- 4.25

Staal has a fairly heavy shot with an incredible amount of accuracy. His wrist shot is heavy and straight, as opposed to a player like Kovalev or Moginly. It doesn't jump around an incredible amount, but he can place it with extreme accuracy. This is in large part due to the lack of goaltenders in his family, and they played shinny that required them to shoot at the posts in order to score. As was probably made evident in the youngstars game. Very heavy slapshot that is very accurate as well. Needs to work on his hands down around the net if he ever plans on getting 40-50 goals in this league, but his wrister and slapshot alone with ensure he breaks the 20 goal plateau for many years.

D. Passing- 4.50

Another very strong aspect of his game. His velocity is quite a bit like Ron Francis. He usually knows where a forward is going to go before they do. Once again, with strength he's going to get better as it will add some mustard to them, but they are almost always right on.

E. Hockey Sense / Vision- 4.75

Perhaps the strongest aspect of his game outside of his work ethic, his hockey sense and vision is unlike any that i've seen from a 19 year old player. This is the part that I feel sets him apart from Jason Spezza. He knows the game so well that he knows the tendancies of his linemates already and sets them up very nicely. Sometimes too nicely even. Most snipers don't want the puck diretly on the tape, which is where Staal tends to put it.

F. Physical Play- 3

With growth and strength, he'll increases the regularity of his hits. Right now, he's just trying not to get killed.

G. Attitude / Work Ethic- 5

A true gentleman and is the definition of a team player. He's one of those fabled "first in and last to leave" type players that knows the value of preparation. This is the best thing you could look for in a young player and he has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad