Inline / Ice players

Status
Not open for further replies.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Can some tell the difference between playing against kids who grew up playing ice and others playing inline? I grew up playing ice till I was 17 then started playing inline to save some money. I think with some who have played mostly inline, there is a lot more stickwork...as in slashing and hooking, where as the ice players play the body. Sometimes it can be extremely frustrating .Any thoughts?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i think you are dead on right. the stick work in roller gets pretty crazy. i think of it as the result of no hitting. someone overworks you with the stick in an ice game - you can find a way to level him....usually legally and the matter is settled. people who are wild with their sticks get knocked around and either learn to knock it off or take a hit...often. in roller, there is no consequence to a whack here or there. because its no hitting there is alwasys more stick work, and the refs have to allow a little bit. sooner or later guys are swinging at each other because there is no other way to get back. its the downside to roller, especially in your age group (i ref a ton of roller).

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I played both growing up, but I've noticed the differences more since I started coaching.

First off, I don't want anything said here to be misinterpreted. I think both Inline and Ice are great sports and I don't think either one is necessarrily BETTER than the other.

Like it was said before, in-line players are not as quick to take the body and will try to stickhandle through the entire team. Their stickwork is generally more advanced which gives them the confidence to do so.

The guys that I have coached who started off playing in-line don't play as well without the puck as the kids who have been playing ice.

I don't coach in-line and haven't played in a long time, so I can't really say how Ice players do playing inline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->