Injury...

Status
Not open for further replies.

badtakemachine

Dec 20, 2002
A question for goalies at higher levels out there...

I got blasted in the collar bone with a puck more than once in the same practise (in the same spot, obviously), and it is the first time I really have been hit that hard in a place with a lack of protection. Every time I use my left arm (e.g. lifting something) it feels like my collar bone is pulling out.

Not that I've never been hit there before, but how long did you wait before you resumed weight training? I don't think it's broken, but it is really soar.

Thanks.

blues4life

Aug 13, 2005
just put some thing warm on it and lay down. I woulldnt lift anything with my left arm(the one you say hurts)until you feel it is possible to use that arm

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Damned injuries... You might have a bruised bone, a stress fracture, pulled ligaments... best thing is to consult a doctor. The first thing to do is to minimize inflammation. Usually, the first 48 hours are ice for 12 minutes per session, then some heat if the injury is non-bone related. If you have a bone injury, calcium supplements could help. They have to be taken with a source of fat and vitamin D to increase absorption. If you press and feel pain at one specific point from the top of the shoulder, you might have some pulled ligaments (junction were 3 ligaments meet). This hurts like hell and takes a fair amont of time to heal. The recovery will vary with age and level of damage. What people usually dont understand is that you have to keep some level of activity to minimize recovery time. If inflammation gests in, ice it...good luck.

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
Best thing to do is to take a little rest while doing a little bit of stretching to keep it lose. Once you feel that it is 100% again, continue. My guess is probably a week or two, I've only been hit there a couple times, but I have pretty good protection with a collarbone protector as well as my throat guard.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
I've heard some guys complaining that playing hockey for a long time left them with bad knees. Is it because they got hit badly on the knee, or is it just because of playing hockey? Are leg stretching and warming up before a game solutions? In other words, I suspect that they have bad knees because they poorly prepared their body before entering the rink.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
I always figured its easier to sprain a knee while playing hockey since pretty much most mobility requires bent knees & sufficient contact on a bent knee is bound to lead to injury. I sprained my left knee playing hockey twice within a month and its never been the same since. The second sprain was much worse and ended my season in early March, completely my fault- I shouldn't have been playing.

Oops I got off topic.. rest your arm until it feels better, goalie :)

The_Tactitioner

Nov 21, 2005
European Cowboyland
I guess the best thing to do is to rest the the arm

I don't play ice hockey (I'm interested however in the coaching / tactitians side of it)

But how regularly do you players get injured? Do you notice whether certain positions get more injuries than others (on the whole)

I know many injuries can be picked up in training

I can't remember who (or what team), but on TSN's website sometime ago, there was a clip of a goalie training before a game, and he got hit by the puck just through an opening (?) of the throat protector, ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad