Injury Report: Injury Thread 2018-19 [Klefbom (Finger Surgery, Out 2 Months)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I read that Jayden Schwartz x Ray originally came up negative but under further examination they noticed it was worse.

However , an Oiler fan on twitter also said he saw McDavid and Drake Cagguila at the Airport last night and McJesus was walking fine .

Now that is the best news of XMAS 2017 if there ever was. Whatever kind of drugs they give them now, I want double.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I sure hope the Oilers hit the ice to practice soon.

I'm worried we will be without McDavid tonight , have the feeling his foot is bruised and swelled up.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Apparently Klef has had trouble with his shoulder since the playoffs and presumably got worse in September. Also said his stomach got 'turned upside down' from all the meds.

Guess that explains at least part of his poor play this year.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
uh oh.... anytime I hear about "on-going shoulder problem", my mind immediately goes to "off-season shoulder surgery"... sounds like he maybe should have had surgery *last* off-season as well, which is par for the course with our ridiculously bad medical staff

Reactions: Aerrol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
uh oh.... anytime I hear about "on-going shoulder problem", my mind immediately goes to "off-season shoulder surgery"... sounds like he maybe should have had surgery *last* off-season as well, which is par for the course with our ridiculously bad medical staff
yeah it was probably one of those playable injuries that really should get a surgery, but we decided not to do the surgery because we had Sekera out for the start of the season. We also had no way of knowing that Nurse would be as good as he's been

Assuming that was what went on, we probably would have been better off with the surgery option. But then we'd likely be in a situation where a healthy Sekera and Klef would arrive at the same time, but we might be 5 points or more worse in the standings

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Apparently Klef has had trouble with his shoulder since the playoffs and presumably got worse in September. Also said his stomach got 'turned upside down' from all the meds.

"from all the meds" with his injury the meds would most likely be painkillers, steroids, and anti-inflammatories . Which to be effective would need to be taken in an amount that can cause other side effects. Kind of amazed the NHL allows use of medications such as this for players and for them to be able to play on it. In the NFL, and in the NHL with fighters the use of this stuff is almost always bad news in that it deadens pain, allows one to take more pain, and further more injury as the bodies nature protective mechanisms of pain and inflammation are negated. The body inflames as a natural attempt to immobilize a joint.

I'd wonder what he was taking for meds and why a lot of the types of meds mentioned are still allowed.

Reactions: LaGu

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
"from all the meds" with his injury the meds would most likely be painkillers, steroids, and anti-inflammatories . Which to be effective would need to be taken in an amount that can cause other side effects. Kind of amazed the NHL allows use of medications such as this for players and for them to be able to play on it. In the NFL, and in the NHL with fighters the use of this stuff is almost always bad news in that it deadens pain, allows one to take more pain, and further more injury as the bodies nature protective mechanisms of pain and inflammation are negated. The body inflames as a natural attempt to immobilize a joint.

I'd wonder what he was taking for meds and why a lot of the types of meds mentioned are still allowed.

I agree, and I think it's a huge problem in sports as a whole, but hockey in particular probably with the macho culture. And I don't really get this whole thing of players playing through gruesome injuries in the regular season. What's the point? Is it really worth sacrificing your health to play a couple more regular season games, while being at maybe 80% of your capability? I don't get it. I mean if it's the playoffs then I totally get going out there and competing for a few more weeks, because that's special and everybody wants to win. But playing through regular season injured and being on all kinds of meds and take shots and whatever has never made any sense to me. Like with Klefbom, has this team even benefitted from playing him in the shape that he's in? Wouldn't it have been better if he just got 100% healthy instead?

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Why is a player put on IR if he is expected to get better by the next game the team plays? Just as a precaution in case they are not ready?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Shut this man down ASAP if he needs surgery.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Now he's out 5-6 weeks. WTF is up with our medical staff?

For fairness though Nuge was in Hawaii, Planned break going there during the NHLPA mandated player days off segment. So that the team probably had a lot more difficulty getting any medical results and or mandating attending those.

Not sure if Nuge is back, he was scheduled to be back today this AM and perhaps why the medical result was updated this AM.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
For fairness though Nuge was in Hawaii, Planned break going there during the NHLPA mandated player days off segment. So that the team probably had a lot more difficulty getting any medical results and or mandating attending those.

Not sure if Nuge is back, he was scheduled to be back today this AM and perhaps why the medical result was updated this AM.
The medical staff completely f***ed up though. Our team never lets us know an injury or if a guy is okay unless they were 100%. They let us know that they did xrays and he was okay, just a bruise. Now it's cracked ribs? That's not something you miss in a damn xray.

Pinnerdink

Sep 19, 2007
Edmonton
The medical staff completely ****ed up though. Our team never lets us know an injury or if a guy is okay unless they were 100%. They let us know that they did xrays and he was okay, just a bruise. Now it's cracked ribs? That's not something you miss in a damn xray.

Respectfully disagree... I’m dealing with this exact situation right now (fell on ice on Tuesday, ER did X-rays). Doctor said it is “bruised or cracked rib”... X-ray is mostly looking for organ damage or clean break (leading to issues).

Same pain, same treatment (rest), just slight difference in length of downtime

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Good point didn't know he went to Hawaii as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad